Hermione II, Mods - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2016, 01:21 PM   #41

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I outfitted my trailer with my convenience in mind; hence the removable cord (had the push/pull one and not for me ever again). I just cannot live my life in constant fear that everything is likely to be stolen or the worst is going to happen...no joy there. But everyone's needs are different as well as their tolerance for what-ifs and maybes. I'm just glad one can choose from so many options with ETI during their build process.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:45 PM   #42

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Myron I hear you about the crappy electrical opening . I am going to probably add the electrical door or just put a new one on . They are cheap . We had talked to Reace himself about the removable cord and he said the exact same thing about mice and such , so we didn't get it . The fresh water though is a problem . Really like the door on it , never lost my cap with door . The sun uv 's rotted the lanyard that holds it on . Pat
The removable cord is the one that mice/ bugs can't get in - its the non removable cord that has the opening,
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:54 PM   #43

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
The removable cord is the one that mice/ bugs can't get in - its the non removable cord that has the opening,
In 30 plus years never got ants or mice in our RV's .However as a precaution will use the rubber blockage because the cord opening is very cheap and leaves a opening ,unlike what we have had before ,a door and the cord in a poly box so nothing could get in there anyway . Really don't want a removable cord . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:00 PM   #44
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
In 30 plus years never got ants or mice in our RV's
We had BIG ants trying the trapeze act at Big Bend, but a little vaseline near the top of the cord stopped them. I'm not installing the detachable cord to keep the bugs out - just doing it for the cool factor.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:54 PM   #45

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post
So you have to keep taking that out of the hatch and off the electrical cable each time you need to get the plug through the Escape opening, yes?
That is such a burden that no individual should endure in a free country.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:27 PM   #46

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
"So you have to keep taking that out of the hatch and off the electrical cable each time you need to get the plug through the Escape opening, yes?'

No. Either the patch moves out along with the big cord or ...you secure it to the inner walls of the port like I did. I made a ring from PVC pipe that acts as a snug hold-it-in bezel. It's working so far but soon as I can screw it to the side walls I will be happier.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:32 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
We had BIG ants trying the trapeze act at Big Bend, but a little vaseline near the top of the cord stopped them. I'm not installing the detachable cord to keep the bugs out - just doing it for the cool factor.
Robert you do not need to validate why you want a detachable cord . It is your trailer . I was answering Foxhunt and we don't want one . We just never had that problem , don't know why we get ants in our home , go figure . I would see people would put boric acid around their RV's and tires and I asked why they did that ? Guess we are lucky . Pat
Old 07-14-2016, 07:45 PM   #48

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Idea man here.
With a hockey puck, a steady hand and a
band saw you could turn out those little vermin plugs
and be the entrepreneur of a new cottage industry and get on the shark tank show
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:47 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Idea man here.
With a hockey puck, a steady hand and a
band saw you could turn out those little vermin plugs
and be the entrepreneur of a new cottage industry and get on the shark tank show
Dave
I was thinking of that too . Maybe they have some sort of patent . Pat
Old 07-14-2016, 08:17 PM   #50

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
I would see people would put boric acid around their RV's and tires and I asked why they did that ? Guess we are lucky . Pat
People with stickies worried about carpenter ants.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:23 PM   #51
Site Team

Quote:
...and get on the shark tank show.

Dave, if they ever catch me begging Mark Cuban for money, you have permission to shoot me on the spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2016, 08:30 PM   #52

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Those puny 2X 2s in some trailers wouldn't make a good lunch for real self respecting carpenter ants. More likely termites. Boric acid is poison and not good for pets.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:56 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
People with stickies worried about carpenter ants.
Your funny Glenn ! Pat
Old 07-14-2016, 08:58 PM   #54

Quote:
Those puny 2X 2s in some trailers wouldn't make a good lunch for real self respecting carpenter ants. More likely termites. Boric acid is poison and not good for pets.
Dave
I know Dave , never did it and would have to clean it up from the campsite when we got there . Some I think also used cleanser . Pat
Old 07-14-2016, 09:01 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
"So you have to keep taking that out of the hatch and off the electrical cable each time you need to get the plug through the Escape opening, yes?'

No. Either the patch moves out along with the big cord or ...you secure it to the inner walls of the port like I did. I made a ring from PVC pipe that acts as a snug hold-it-in bezel. It's working so far but soon as I can screw it to the side walls I will be happier.
Sorry Myron my eyes must be getting bad I didn't see you put inside the opening . Pat
Old 07-14-2016, 09:16 PM   #56

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I like the vaseline idea so much we are going to smear it on the chain going down to our hummingbird feeders.
Old 07-16-2016, 03:21 PM   #57

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
WiFi!

Now that we have thoroughly discussed power cords...

I have finally been able to test my WiFi setup on the road. I have a panel below the driver side dinette where I installed some electronics. The 120V outlet powers the Ubiquiti POE and Linksys Router and is wired to a switch below the dinette, so I can just turn everything on when I arrive at a campsite. I also have 12V receptacle in case I need to power everything from the inverter when im not hooked up. The Ubiquiti Bullet is connected to an omni antenna, which is hooked onto a 15ft telescoping painter pole. The painter pole is mounted on a fishingrod holder that is attached to the bumper. The ethernet cable is routed beneath the trailer through the hole where the battery negative connects to the chassis, so no extra holes in this mod. The knee bone is connected to the shin bone...

It took some time to get the Bullet and Router to communicate, but now everything is working great. Have been able to pull in some far away signals from retail stores. I also figured out a clever trick to get free unlimited internet access from some commercial hotspots, like Xfinity. Whenever I need to find another signal, I just select one from the Bullet interface. The router network info stays the same so my devices always know where to connect.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0486.jpg   IMG_0487.jpg   IMG_0560.jpg   IMG_0561.jpg   IMG_0563.jpg  

Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 03:26 PM   #58
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
Now that we have thoroughly discussed power cords...

I have finally been able to test my WiFi setup on the road. I have a panel below the driver side dinette where I installed some electronics. The 120V outlet powers the Ubiquiti POE and Linksys Router and is wired to a switch below the dinette, so I can just turn everything on when I arrive at a campsite. I also have 12V receptacle in case I need to power everything from the inverter when im not hooked up. The Ubiquiti Bullet is connected to an omni antenna, which is hooked onto a 15ft telescoping painter pole. The painter pole is mounted on a fishingrod holder that is attached to the bumper. The ethernet cable is routed beneath the trailer through the hole where the battery negative connects to the chassis, so no extra holes in this mod. The knee bone is connected to the shin bone...

It took some time to get the Bullet and Router to communicate, but now everything is working great. Have been able to pull in some far away signals from retail stores. I also figured out a clever trick to get free unlimited internet access from some commercial hotspots, like Xfinity. Whenever I need to find another signal, I just select one from the Bullet interface. The router network info stays the same so my devices always know where to connect.
Nice work Sean. Particularly like the 3 gang switch plate. The WRT54G is a workhorse. Did you flash it with DD-WRT/Tomato or use the stock ROM?
Old 07-16-2016, 03:30 PM   #59

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Nice work Sean. Particularly like the 3 gang switch plate. The WRT54G is a workhorse. Did you flash it with DD-WRT/Tomato or use the stock ROM?
Im using DD-WRT. Still familiarizing myself with all the options and settings, there are a million of them!
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 03:34 PM   #60
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
Im using DD-WRT. Still familiarizing myself with all the options and settings, there are a million of them!

Yeah, that's my choice too. Pretty amazing that you can flash an el cheapo router and instantly turn it into an enterprise class device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk