High Lift and Stabilizers (17B) - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-22-2021, 09:08 AM   #81

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddybegood View Post
Never put a jack under a torflex axle.
Good reminder to never jack under the axle beam. Escape does recommend jacking under the axle connection to the frame.
Attached Thumbnails
jacking1.JPG  
Old 01-22-2021, 09:59 AM   #82

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
You really have to watch the tire companies. They seem to almost always jack trailers by the axle tube unless you stand over them.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 01:28 PM   #83

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Tire companies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
You really have to watch the tire companies. They seem to almost always jack trailers by the axle tube unless you stand over them.
I think you’re right on this. When I get new trailer tires, I take two off at home plus the spare and take them to the tire store. Drop them off and go get a lunch that is bad for me. Then go back, pick up my tires, take them home and install, remove the other side and head back to the tire store. Drop them off, go get an ice cream, pick my tires and head home and install those two. That’s tire day once every three or four years, usually stop at my favorite two tool stores too and see my friends behind the counter. Might even buy something. Always get a pop from the machine in the back that’s on free vend. Can’t beat being retired. And I have the knowledge my axle hasn’t been compromised. The tire store balances my aluminum wheels with the stick on weights on the inside of the rims. It’s worked well for me and they don’t ding up my rims with the weight tool.. And on an edit, this time I’m going to get steel stems to insure no stem deflection for the TPMS “caps”. YMMV
Iowa Dave
Old 01-22-2021, 02:36 PM   #84

Trailer: On Wait List for 23. Deposit on 5.0. Currently Aliner Family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I think you’re right on this. When I get new trailer tires, I take two off at home plus the spare and take them to the tire store. Drop them off and go get a lunch that is bad for me. Then go back, pick up my tires, take them home and install, remove the other side and head back to the tire store. Drop them off, go get an ice cream, pick my tires and head home and install those two.
This is what I do as well. I still have to remind them to balance the tires, they do forget on occasion.
Steve S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:41 PM   #85

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S. View Post
This is what I do as well. I still have to remind them to balance the tires, they do forget on occasion.
This also prevents them from over tightening the lug nuts. Specifically told the shop recently to not use air on the lugs and we’d do a final torquing! Do all these shops just figure that anyone with a flat uses roadside assistance who presumably has an impact gun or huge breaker bar? I literally broke my 4-way lug wrench the other day helping my neighbor replace a flat on his F-150. Broke it! The only way I got the last lug off was with the tire iron from my 4Runner and half the handle from the full-size floor jack I brought that happened to come apart with a bolt. Ridiculous.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:11 AM   #86

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
My new trailer 21C, arrived last Tuesday. I have the high lift and knew from this forum to add extensions to the rear. Ordered a set of BAL’s, added full 2” treated blocks let the blocks extend pass bases an inch, put a nice 45 degree bevel on outer edge, painted semi gloss black. Had blocks ready 3 months before arrival. Took all of 10 minutes to install. Not noticable when retracted, clearance is not affected.
Thanks to all on this forum for their knowledge.

While I was at it I replaced the inbound stabilization Jack self tapping screw with a 5/16” SS bolt, not because it was necessary, but because one forum member had one fall off.

Also reinforced the leading edge of my solar panel with a 1/8” aluminum angle, not because it’s necessary but because one member had one buckle due to high wind loading while on road. I have had car top carriers come off when an 18 wheeler pass by doing 70+ and I was going 70+. Needed probably not. Only case I have heard off. I like to tinker.

Also adding additional fresh/grey water tank straps between existing. Needed probably not. I just don’t like the bulging pictures of the thin plastic tanks.

Also propane tanks came empty. When I removed the tanks, I noticed one of the self tapping screw heads was broken off an sitting outer tank. I removed tank cradle, drilled out remaining, painted both top of frame as it was starting to rust and repainted entire cradle, reset with VHB 3m tape and replaced with SSself tapping screws. I was informed by a forum member to check this.
Thank you member. Others have had no problems for years.

Today is day five. I am going to to POR 15 my axles as they are beginning to rust. I guess the delivery from Canada to south texas on the large flat bed had a lot of salt in the air. Trailer was completely filthy top to bottom.

Next is the bed structure.

For now folks.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 08:34 AM   #87

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
This also prevents them from over tightening the lug nuts. Specifically told the shop recently to not use air on the lugs and we’d do a final torquing! Do all these shops just figure that anyone with a flat uses roadside assistance who presumably has an impact gun or huge breaker bar? I literally broke my 4-way lug wrench the other day helping my neighbor replace a flat on his F-150. Broke it! The only way I got the last lug off was with the tire iron from my 4Runner and half the handle from the full-size floor jack I brought that happened to come apart with a bolt. Ridiculous.
True. I have learned to just carry a 3/4” drive break over bar with proper 6 sided socket and extension. Be sure socket is not China made. I have also split sockets and broken a 4 way wrench.
Last of all but not least my AAA. Lol
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:31 AM   #88

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15A
With the new leaf spring suspension and about 3" of overall height lift the "C" levelers that came with our 15A are not adequate without carrying big riser blocks, etc.

These will be integrated sometime this spring: https://www.etrailer.com/Camper-Jacks/Ark/AR94FR.html
dstreight is offline   Reply With Quote