High Lift and Stabilizers (17B) - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-11-2015, 09:35 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: "", Alabama
Trailer: ""
Posts: 56
High Lift and Stabilizers (17B)

In the midst of a frantic house move and intermittant communications I am trying to finalize the build sheet for a 17B with high clearance and most of the available options.

I had a high clearance option on my last trailer and longer stabilizers were part of that package.

Reading others' posts I began to suspect Escape used the stock stabilizers which weren't really ideal with the high clearance option. I asked ETI about getting longer stabilizers and was very disappointed to learn that
Quote:
You will need blocks underneath to accommodate for the lift.
After they had cheerfully added sand pads (air pads?) to my build sheet.

It may sound trivial but this could be a deal breaker.

Other than dragging along and aligning spacer bits under the lifts or more creatively bolting extenders to them (and reducing clearance) does anyone know of, has discovered or has used a more elegant after market solutions to this problem?

Or is it really a problem and the stabilizers actually reach the ground with lots of extra capacity on all 4 corners?

Thanks.
__________________

BillM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:39 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
LeonW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Posts: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
In the midst of a frantic house move and intermittant communications I am trying to finalize the build sheet for a 17B with high clearance and most of the available options.

I had a high clearance option on my last trailer and longer stabilizers were part of that package.

Reading others' posts I began to suspect Escape used the stock stabilizers which weren't really ideal with the high clearance option. I asked ETI about getting longer stabilizers and was very disappointed to learn that After they had cheerfully added sand pads (air pads?) to my build sheet.

It may sound trivial but this could be a deal breaker.

Other than dragging along and aligning spacer bits under the lifts or more creatively bolting extenders to them (and reducing clearance) does anyone know of, has discovered or has used a more elegant after market solutions to this problem?

Or is it really a problem and the stabilizers actually reach the ground with lots of extra capacity on all 4 corners?

Thanks.
This is kind of a surprise to me -- we had a 17b with the high lift option, and never had a problem with the stabilizers reaching the ground. But if you are really worried about that, Jon Vermilye screwed some blocks of wood to the bottom of his stabilizers and I am sure that would work.
__________________

LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:58 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 9,061
Blocks work, but I wouldn't add them. If I were to fabricate a solution to inadequate stabilizer leg length, I would put the time and effort into installing a more appropriate length of stabilizer, rather than something that hangs down and reduces horizontal stability. Unfortunately, the originals are welded on...

My current trailer (not an Escape) did not come with stabilizer jacks. I added BAL Light Trailer Stabilizing Jacks, and did it in a bolt-on installation. This trailer is low, so short jacks are still sufficient - height wasn't an issue.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:51 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: "", Alabama
Trailer: ""
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Blocks work, but I wouldn't add them. If I were to fabricate a solution to inadequate stabilizer leg length, I would put the time and effort into installing a more appropriate length of stabilizer, rather than something that hangs down and reduces horizontal stability. Unfortunately, the originals are welded on...
... and installation during fabrication would be the perfect opportunity.
BillM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 09:14 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: "", Alabama
Trailer: ""
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
This is kind of a surprise to me -- we had a 17b with the high lift option, and never had a problem with the stabilizers reaching the ground. But if you are really worried about that, Jon Vermilye screwed some blocks of wood to the bottom of his stabilizers and I am sure that would work.
Your experience sounds encouraging. Was it equipped with the C jacks or scissor jacks?

I have seen Jon's picture and don't doubt that it works but it seems out of place on a trailer commanding these prices.
BillM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:34 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: "", Alabama
Trailer: ""
Posts: 56
ETI confirms that they only offer one stabilizer with a total extension only 2" greater than the height of the frame.

I have to decide which is going to be more inconvenient, a standard lift axle with reduced clearance and departure angle or a high lift axle with the short stabilizers?

I am thinking that fussing with blocks under the stabilizers is not the way to go.

Advice please.
BillM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:51 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 10,741
I add Lynx blocks. The front isn't really a problem. Depending on terrain the stabilizers will reach, but I add a couple blocks ( don't have to crank as much ). The back stabilizers can take four or five blocks each side for the stabilizers to be effective.
Adding blocks is no more difficult than cranking.
__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:57 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Olympia wa, Washington
Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Posts: 1,254
i have Leon's trailer no problem with the stabilizers they work great no blocks.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:39 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: "", Alabama
Trailer: ""
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
i have Leon's trailer no problem with the stabilizers they work great no blocks.
I saw that post from Leon. What year is it and which style of stabilizer does it have?

Thanks.
BillM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:48 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: "", Alabama
Trailer: ""
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I add Lynx blocks. The front isn't really a problem. Depending on terrain the stabilizers will reach, but I add a couple blocks ( don't have to crank as much ). The back stabilizers can take four or five blocks each side for the stabilizers to be effective.
Adding blocks is no more difficult than cranking.
I use a 3/4" drill with a clutch to set the tension evenly on each stabilizer. Storing, fishing around and picking up dirty blocks seems to add a lot of complexity to what should be a simple task.

In about 800 nights in our last high lift trailer I recall using blocks 3 times. Twice in sand and once on the edge of a slope.

Curious why you need 4 or 5 blocks while Leon's trailer doesn't need any. A design change?
__________________

BillM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.