Hitch Cargo Carrier - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2017, 02:16 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 on order
Hitch Cargo Carrier

Has anyone ever installed a hitch cargo carrier on their trailer?

I looking for an option to carry my Honda EU 2000 generator (50 lbs) and/or a blue boy portable dump tank (Empty).

The Escape site says the bike rack hitch can handle 150 lbs.

I'm not yet convinced this is a good idea, I'm just brainstorming. Even if the hitch can handle the load, would 50 or 75 pounds be detrimental to the weight distribution of the trailer?

Thanks,

Dan
Kingbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA Tundra 1794 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbiscuit View Post
Has anyone ever installed a hitch cargo carrier on their trailer?

I looking for an option to carry my Honda EU 2000 generator (50 lbs) and/or a blue boy portable dump tank (Empty).
Same question here but for a 5.0TA.

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time" JT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TlAD-b7yew
Honair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
I've got one for my 5.0ta for a Honda 2000 gen set on a Lockdown Pro. Works fine; no issues at all.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:44 PM   #4

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
I've got one for my 5.0ta for a Honda 2000 gen set on a Lockdown Pro. Works fine; no issues at all.
Thank you!!!

Old 10-21-2017, 04:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I added a StowAway II to the back of my 17B. StowAway insisted that I needed the Swingaway version, which, swings away" to get at the spare, and when swung 90° to the trailer, lets you fully open the top. If I was doing it over, I'd skip the swing away hardware (it adds around 40 pounds to the unit) and live with the fact that it will only open 3/4 of the way & I'd probably have to remove it to take off the spare.
Attached Thumbnails
Valley of Fire SP, NV.jpg  
Old 10-21-2017, 05:36 PM   #6

Trailer: 17
another stowaway not mine but i sure could use more room
Attached Thumbnails
STOWAWAY ON 17.jpg  
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 05:59 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I searched for the lightest ( and cheapest ) cargo carrier I could find on etrailer.com.
I bolted an aluminum box to it using u-bolts to inside the box. Found that I couldn't turn my lug wrench enough to remove the spare, because the wrench hit the box. Now, I have the box held onto the cargo carrier with a ratchet strap, and locked down with a cable, so I can remove the box.
Box itself was free ( from work ). I only keep light items in the box.
Attached Thumbnails
box secure 2.jpg   Cargo box.jpg  
Old 10-21-2017, 06:49 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
King Biscuit. As in "Flour Hour?"
citabria90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 06:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I added a StowAway II to the back of my 17B. StowAway insisted that I needed the Swingaway version, which, swings away" to get at the spare, and when swung 90° to the trailer, lets you fully open the top. If I was doing it over, I'd skip the swing away hardware (it adds around 40 pounds to the unit) and live with the fact that it will only open 3/4 of the way & I'd probably have to remove it to take off the spare.
In September this year.... upon my request.... StowAway sent me this:

"Max Swingaway model with frame = 99 lbs
Standard Swingaway model with frame = 94 lbs

Fixed frame model are about 25 lbs less."

So if we go with Stowaway we will go with the Fixed frame model since we only have 150 lbs to work with.

The dimensions of the standard model seems to allow a Honda 2000. Anyone have experience with the Standard Stowaway and the Honda 2000? Does it fit?

Has anyone had ETI build the electric connector for the Stowaway lights? Will they do that a part of a build?

Old 10-21-2017, 07:47 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I had Escape install a rear 4 pin connector to my build so that I can use an extra hitch light that is brake and turn signal, so yes you can get that option.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I had Escape install a rear 4 pin connector to my build so that I can use an extra hitch light that is brake and turn signal, so yes you can get that option.
YES!!!

Old 10-21-2017, 08:12 PM   #12

Trailer: 17
Good point on weight Honair, thanks for sharing your info
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:12 PM   #13

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19’
It would be great to see if anyone has the Max Stowaway installed without the swing away option. I am thinking of ordering this for our 19' which will be ready by March 2018. I want it for a Honda 2000 and a BBQ.
Sowen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:40 PM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 on order
Quote:
Originally Posted by citabria90 View Post
King Biscuit. As in "Flour Hour?"
Kind of. I play Blues Harmonica. Years ago, my son was stationed overseas in the Air Force. He's big into online gaming and got me to play too. We'd spend time together thru the game. Anyway, he dubbed me "kingbiscuit" and it stuck with me. LOL

Back on the carrier, my buddy just bought one at harbor freight for his Scamp 5er. He bought the one that has a rise to it. He cut some of the hitch off to pull it up close to the spare tire. It's bolted together so he welded a couple of pieces steel on to make sure it didn't come apart. Looks great and his 3000 watt Generator fits right on it.
Kingbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:58 AM   #15

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Here is our Stowaway on a 19 without the swinging hardware. We did modifications to have it open fully over the spare tire:
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post145597

Also here is a rear rack that we modified for a Scamp. It is probably the one that has been mentioned from Harbor Freight. I put a set of LED lights on it.
www.scampowners.com/forums/rear-cargo-rack
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:37 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Here is our Stowaway on a 19 without the swinging hardware. We did modifications to have it open fully over the spare tire:
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post145597
Your previous post states: "The receiver was reinforced at the factory (500 lbs?) so no issues in my mind as far as weight derate with the extension."

What does this mean? Did ETI reinforce so that your weight limit went form 150 lbs to a estimated 500 lbs?

Thank you for your information.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:45 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
For me and the 5.0TA, rear storage is about the only way to increase if we feel the need to do so.

I have looked at all available boxes, and the StowAway MAX would fit the bill, however it would negate using a bumper mounted bike carrier, and we are not leaving bikes behind. I have contemplated installing a receiver on the pin box to mount the bikes there, and it most likely would clear the cab with no problem. I have also considered roof or front mounting on the truck. Any of these solutions puts leaves the bikes open to bug guts being pasted on them, and a cover would create a lot of drag.

What I would like to do is build (actually have built for me), a light aluminum toolbox near the width of the trailer, about 20" deep and 20-24" high, with doors facing rearward. I could then mount the bikes on top of this. The only issue there is that if we want a nice view out of the rear of the trailer, the bikes have to come off, though I don't think this would be a huge issue. If I did this, I would forego using the stock receiver, and instead install 2 more to use, to better support and balance the cargo box. Of course I would wire up lights for use on the box too.

I am also considering finding another place to put the spare. Underneath the trailer, if possible? Don't ever plan to use the darn thing anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
This is also a real easy to add after the fact with minimal skills. An easy splice into the existing wiring.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:54 AM   #18

The 150 lb weight limit on the rear receiver can be taken with a grain of salt. There was no testing done to determine this weight, it is a arbitrary number Escape uses to ensure that folks take heed and don't overdo it, as well as cover themselves should someone do something stupid.

As always, and especially with bumper pull models, you definitely have to consider tongue weight as you add to the rear.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-22-2017, 10:00 AM   #19

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honair View Post
Your previous post states: "The receiver was reinforced at the factory (500 lbs?) so no issues in my mind as far as weight derate with the extension."

What does this mean? Did ETI reinforce so that your weight limit went form 150 lbs to a estimated 500 lbs?

Thank you for your information.
The build sheet says "reinforce bike rack ready to carry extra weight". Not sure what this means exactly as far as difference in build without comparing trailers with and without. No revised weight rating listed anywhere. I think I found the 500 lb number in a post where it was reinforced to carry a motorcycle, but not positive ours is equivalent. Also not sure ETI does it anymore either. This was back in 2009.

If ETI won't do it and you felt it needed more support just enlist a welder to do it.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:02 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
If ETI won't do it and you felt it needed more support just enlist a welder to do it.
I could not talk Reace into adding a couple more receivers as he had done before. All frames are now made exactly the same to eliminate any potential issues of mixing them up in production.