Hook-up for outside Grill and Stove - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-26-2009, 07:38 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Edgar
Hook-up for outside Grill and Stove

I've been thinking about the best way to hook up Weber Q and Coleman 2-burner Stove. They both take the little disposable high pressure cylinders or can have an adaptor to a 20-LBS LP tank. The issue is that the optional Escape quick connect for LP hook-up is low pressure and taps off after the pressure regulator. I don’t want to modify the grill and stove to operate off the low pressure supply.

So, I devised a way to add a tee before the trailer regulator and then connect 2 high pressure hoses that run to the stove and grill. The hoses are 12 ft (4m) long each and use the LP appliance connector on both ends. I’ll be able to easily connect the stove or the grill or both. It’s a hand tighten connection so I won’t need tools. Thanks to Hokie Dan for the 5.0 tour and gas brainstorming.

I’m planning to wait until it’s all installed on the trailer before posting photos. But if anyone need$ a part$ list and description now then let me know.

Edgar

Escape 19’ June
Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:59 PM   #2

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0
Re: Hook-up for outside Grill and Stove

Heh Edgar,
I've been podering the same question, but have not had time to get to it. So, fire away at details if possible. Know it would be clearer with photos, but I trust my ACE hardward man : - ) Dan
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:27 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to Edgar
Re: Hook-up for outside Grill and Stove

Here is a parts list to hook up one appliance like the Weber Baby Q.

Mr. Heater Propane Adapter Tee F273751
Mr. Heater 12' Propane Hose Assembly F273711

For the second LP appliance add:

Mr. Heater Propane Fitting F273754 (1" -20 Female Throwaway cylinder Thread x 1/4" MPT)
2X Mr. Heater Propane Fitting F273755 (1" -20 Male Throwaway cylinder Thread x 1/4" MPT)
Solid Brass Tee with 1/4" Female pipe thread all around.
Mr. Heater 12' Propane Hose Assembly F273711 (Hose for 2nd appliance)

This is a "brut force" list of part that will do the job. A clever plumber can do the same with a few less parts. There's ways to make this look elegant but will need to get the trailer first and see how all the gas lines are routed. This plan assumes you're always drawing from the full tank.

Edgar
Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:48 PM   #4

I have a two burner propane camp stove for cooking out side, that comes with a connecting hose for a twenty pound tank. I installed a a longer hose to the stove, then installed a third twenty pound tank on the trailer tongue.
Doug
Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:54 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Lorenzen View Post
I have a two burner propane camp stove for cooking out side, that comes with a connecting hose for a twenty pound tank. I installed a a longer hose to the stove, then installed a third twenty pound tank on the trailer tongue.
Doug
That explains why you are no longer using your storage box.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:31 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
I don’t want to modify the grill and stove to operate off the low pressure supply.
That's good because the Weber Q is easily modified to run on low pressure. The Coleman stove, however, operates at pressures higher than what the low pressure connection will provide as it has a proprietary regulator assembly that does not reduce the pressure as much as the regulator on your propane tank. If fed low pressure propane, the Coleman stove produces an inadequate flame, even with the control knob set to the full open position. Such a conversion would require "major engineering" of conversion parts. In other words, it cannot be easily accomplished.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:19 AM   #7

Trailer: 5.0 TA 2017 Taj MaSmall
Academy Sports carries a low pressure regulator that will convert the Weber in 10 minutes. You just have to take off a br
Bobnjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:11 AM   #8

My grill came complete to with regulator, for a twenty pound tank.
This simplest thing was to install a tank for the grill.
I added the extension hose to get the grill further from the trailer.
Doug
Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:27 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hookin Up

We have the external propane hookup and it works fine. The only downside to it as I see it is that the "fire" Has to remain fairly close to the camper. The 1 lb cylinders kept me taking out short term bank loans but worked I fine on lanterns, camp stoves and the Weber Q120. After four years I got an 11 lb cylinder that I keep in the front storage box. I really like being able to carry it 40 or 50 feet over to a picnic table or another site to share cooking duties, warm a pop up shelter or use a campfire in a can. To each his own. The small cylinder ( 11lb.) works for me.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote