Hooks and drilling holes - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2009, 05:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Hooks and drilling holes

We have added hooks in several locations throughout our 17' unit: We purchased single and double metal hooks from a hardware store. We installed the singles on the right side of the wardrobe at the entrance door for coats. The double hooks: one on the wall of the dinette near the thermostat unit and one on the short wall around the corner from the bathroom entrance. We use the double hooks for pj's and/or other-than-outdoor-wear storage.
The installation of the metal hooks did require drilling of holes. But, not-to-worry, just be certain of the location of the device you intend to install and be certain you will not be drilling into electrical or plumbing lines. We used the spring-loaded T-grips that go into the hole and a small piece of 1/4 wood to support the hook base for places we could not get to the "other" side of the wall.
To hold towels and the like we installed an over the door towel rack on the bathroom door. It may be used either inside the bathroom or out, depending on when you want to have to avoid running into it. We also installed - requiring holes again - a three tier kitchen towel rack near the top, kitchen side, outside of the bathroom enclosure to hang dish towels and gloves.
I have photos but must re-size them all before I can post them. Before submitting more additions, I will get that done. This trying to explain the process is REALLY difficult. It is true, a picture is worth a thousand words!
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:37 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Re: Hooks and drilling holes

We have drilled a few holes in mounting things in our 19 now too, and plan on a few more things.

So far I have installed a couple metal baskets about 12x4x4, one beside the sink and one on the inside of a cabinet door.
I installed a chrome roll-0ut pot basket and highly recommend one.
We have bought a few wire stands that fit in upper cabinets so we can have two tiers of little things up there.
I bought a set of lever type suction cups that have lots of hooks and containers for the walls in the bathroom, as well as for hanging coats on the outside of the trailer.

We plan on getting 2 wire magazine racks. One for beside the bed on the side of the fridge and the other for the dinette mounted on the side of the bath
We are going to get a couple single hooks, and a couple towel bars that hang on cabinet/bath doors.
We will get a magnetic paper towel holder
We are also going to mount some kind of mirror on the outside of the bath, as well as a couple coat hooks.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:48 PM   #3

I'm proud to say that I have accomplished re-sizing the photos. Here's the hook ideas:
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF2244.jpg   DSCF2243.jpg  
Old 06-16-2009, 07:58 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

This is the paper towel holder I like. I have the same one installed at home. I found them at a kitchen store. I have mine stuck to the underside of the cabinet with double sided tape because I didn't want to drill holes. If it ever falls down, I'll install it in the same place with screws. The black strap is an elastic band to keep the roll from unfurling while traveling. We've had the one at home for ten years. It looks good and it won't become brittle and break.

The hook attaches with double sided tape.

baglo
Attached Thumbnails
paper towel holder.jpg   hook.jpg  
Old 08-16-2009, 04:49 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA

Boy I see Escape owners all have the same GOOD taste in hooks...
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0107.jpg  
Old 08-16-2009, 05:23 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

Thanks for the pictures, both of you. NuthatchBC, I have a question. How did you fasten that little block of wood that holds the hook?
I'm thinking of installing a grab handle like the one on the outside just inside on the wide part of the door frame between the screen and the door gasket, but I'm not sure what is behind the fiberlass and whether it will be strong enough like the exterior one. I do not know if there is a block of wood behind the exterior one. The screen assembly is affixed by screwed in "L" brackets, but we are NOT supposed to use it as a support or grab handle. I've thought about putting in more "L" brackets...I guess I'd better ask Reace before I get out the drill!
Old 08-24-2009, 07:39 PM   #7

Sandra,
The paneling was too to just screw the hook to the wall so we used the block of wood to increase the thickness. We had to use expandable fasteners to hold the screws in the paneling. We think the fasteners are used for drywall installations. They are a bear to work with. We lost a couple behind the paneling while putting up a mirror on the wall outside the bathroom/shower.
Perhaps Reace could help with your situation.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:04 PM   #8

A lot of the cupboards etc. are framed with 1 x 2s and the panel itself is only 1/8" thick. Pretty much the only place to screw to is at the edges so you bite the frame. I'm fear those drywall anchors will become loose over time with vibration and the weight of what ever you hang on it. I've chosen to use self adhesive hooks, but the ones in the earlier pix have either fallen off by themselves or I took them down.

I have replaced them all with 3M Command Strip hooks. They are easy to install and remove ( if you follow the instructions ). You can get extra adhesive strips so you can take them down and put them up in another place if your original plan wasn't convenient ( the package comes with two strips ). They come in three sizes, rated for 1lb. 3lb. and 5lb. Pic shows the 3lb. brushed nickel hook ( $9.99 ). They are also available in white plastic for much less. I put one up near the sink in the bathroom for a facecloth.

baglo
Attached Thumbnails
hook web.jpg  
Old 08-25-2009, 10:43 AM   #9

And no problems with the "wood"?
Old 08-25-2009, 05:09 PM   #10

I don't understand your question / comment.

baglo
Old 08-25-2009, 10:36 PM   #11

Sorry, I was wondering if the surface remains intact upon removal. Based on what you said, they appear ideal for lots of uses.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:48 PM   #12

IF and I repeat IF you follow the instructions for installation and removal there is nothing left on the surface and no damage. If you don't follow instructions, you can mar the surface. I know all this because I didn't follow instructions at first. I went to Canadian Tire and got another hook and read the instructions and from then on it was a snap to install and remove. I've repositioned several because I didn't take enough care making sure they were square and level ( which the Old Bag pointed out ).
There is a tab on the adhesive strip ( hidden by the hook ). You pull that straight down, never toward you. The adhesive strip stretches to about 8 inches as it releases and then whacks you on the fingers. You might want to shield your fingers with your other hand. But, again, read the instructions and save them for later removal.

baglo
Old 08-26-2009, 10:02 AM   #13

Great news. Thanks.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:43 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Was in Canadian Tire the other day and saw these over the door coat hooks on sale for about $2 each. Thought I would try them out on my bathroom doors.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 12:46 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
Was in Canadian Tire the other day and saw these over the door coat hooks on sale for about $2 each. Thought I would try them out on my bathroom doors.
We have always used versions of these for towels and other stuff. Lisa uses one on an out of the way cabinet door to hang a purse on. The paper towel version is great too, as it can then be located either inside the cabinet out of the way, or on the outside for good access.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote