If You Could Design My new Trailer and Pick My Options...... - Page 12 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2012, 10:48 PM   #111

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by blugene View Post
Aha, 100 lb. above and beyond the batteries' weight. Good to know, thanks Cathy!
I put very little in the front box because it makes the tongue weight too high. Last Saturday I weighted the trailer at 3640 lbs with a tongue weight of 540 lbs; 2 full propane tanks, electric tongue jack, full water tank (rear weight), other tanks empty, most heavy items stowed under the bed behind the two axles (cords, hoses, tools, big stove, barbeque)(this is more rear weight), nothing stowed on the front overheads or under the front seats, nothing in the fridge, no on-board food, almost nothing in the front box except for the 2 6 volts batteries and 4 wheel chocks. When I put around 100 lbs of items that are now under the bed in the front box the tongue weight went to around 700 lbs. This trailer is a little front heavy with the propane, storage box, 2 batteries and 3500 lb electric tongue jack....but it works fine like it is setup now.

hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:25 AM   #112
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
"I put very little in the front box because it makes the tongue weight too high. Last Saturday I weighted the trailer at 3640 lbs with a tongue weight of 540 lbs; 2 full propane tanks, electric tongue jack, full water tank (rear weight), other tanks empty"
I have a Sherline t/w scale and last week I checked mine- trailer was loaded- camping with 1/3 tanks full, w/h full, front box is full of sewer and water hoses and electrical- 360#. I have not weighed my trailer yet but check my t/w every tow.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:03 PM   #113

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Steve, all I can think too is that those propane tanks are really weighing you down. We have a 1/2 tank of propane and our tongue weight is fine with lots of blocks and chocks in the box. I wonder how much difference the electric tongue jack makes. I am a little amazed that you would have that tongue weight with a full water tank, too. We never travel with that because it is just a lot of extra weight.

Are you weighing at a truck scale or using a Sherline? We had a little heavier tongue weight at the truck scale than we had with the Sherline with the same set-up.

Is your trailer level when weighing? It needs to be level or your numbers can be way off.

Additional note: Tongue weight can get very confusing because a 19' with two axles is the opposite of a single axle. When a 19' tongue is lowered, you expect the tongue weight to go higher. It does not. It is lower. When you raise the tongue, you expect the tongue weight to be less but it is more. At least, I think so! Too confusing!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:07 AM   #114

It has Arrived!

We took possession of our new19 today. My headlines are:

First class craftsmanship.
Outstanding new ownership briefing and equipment review.
Towing is much easier than I expected.

All of our mods and options came through as requested. The trailer looks fabulous.
Pictures will follow shortly of the key mods and personal changes.

Thank you all on the Forum for your many helpful and wise suggestions which helped us craft our own unique "Escape 19".
Dog as Navigator
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:24 AM   #115

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Very nice!
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #116

Congratulations on your new Escape!
Old 11-29-2012, 11:35 PM   #117

You bought one of the best built trailers and should have years of use. Escape is the best.
hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:47 AM   #118

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
Steve, all I can think too is that those propane tanks are really weighing you down. We have a 1/2 tank of propane and our tongue weight is fine with lots of blocks and chocks in the box. I wonder how much difference the electric tongue jack makes. I am a little amazed that you would have that tongue weight with a full water tank, too. We never travel with that because it is just a lot of extra weight.

Are you weighing at a truck scale or using a Sherline? We had a little heavier tongue weight at the truck scale than we had with the Sherline with the same set-up.

Is your trailer level when weighing? It needs to be level or your numbers can be way off.

Additional note: Tongue weight can get very confusing because a 19' with two axles is the opposite of a single axle. When a 19' tongue is lowered, you expect the tongue weight to go higher. It does not. It is lower. When you raise the tongue, you expect the tongue weight to be less but it is more. At least, I think so! Too confusing!
I weighted my trailer on both a certified truck scale and the portable Sherline at home and they were about the same. It was level just front heavy. The electric jack is really heavy and both propane tanks were full. To compensate I put some heavy items behind the axles under the bed and lightened it up to around 450. I do know about the effect of tongue height when weighing (mechanical engineer) so the ball hitch was set at 20- 21 inches height when it was weighted. The torsion suspension affects the weight like it should when the tongue is raised or lowered. Either way I towed it about 1000 miles over Thanksgiving week and it towed great behind my Pilot with no issues.
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:27 AM   #119

I should say that I often aim many comments at those who need basic information. I know that you have been at this a long time and on top of it, you are an engineer. I do not write only for the person bringing up an issue. I know you know about single and double axles!

Your tongue weight sounds good now. Ours is on the light end of acceptable at last check so if we do get an electric jack which you say is heavy, and add more propane, I am hoping that will not put us too high. Unlike you, we do not expect to be boondocking much so we will not have the water tank full to help balance the front weight. We may be tempted to fill it!
Old 12-14-2012, 04:42 PM   #120

A few Pictures of Mods & Options

As promised I have a few pictures of some of the mods, Options and Special Items we chose based on the input from this Forum. Thanks to all of you who contributed.
For those who may have forgotten, our 19 was build last month, and, according to Reace, may be the most optioned out trailer he has done to date....(Not Her fault - mine).

Here are a few things that some of you might find helpful to see if you are considering your build list.

U-Shaped Rear Dinette. Extra drawer below wardrobe. Mid-sized 3 way fridge. Custom Fabric & Countertops. Microwave.

Full 3 burner Stove & Oven. Extra flip out shelf (3 in total). Stainless exhaust hood and sink / faucets. 2 way hot water. Front power plug ( split shore / inverter).

Front bench seat access door. Venting of storage bench ( all).

Extra tail-lights (high). Twin 55 watt backup floods. HDTV / UHF antenna. Rear hitch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0022.jpg (179.0 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0047.jpg (202.5 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0079.jpg (170.4 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0059_2.jpg (165.9 KB, 167 views)

Dog as Navigator
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote