If You Could Design My new Trailer and Pick My Options...... - Page 9 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-18-2013, 12:33 AM   #161

Trailer: 2010 5.0 Escape
Hi there, a my first post...

We have a 5.0 ~ 2010 and well, I love the additions we have. First I'll mention that I want my cake with all the trimmings when camping. With that said, we have:
* the solar panel ~ great for boondocking (2 weeks in yosemite, no power, fabulous)
* a 1500 inverter ~ couldn't believe we survived without it all this time (just had it installed). We don't need to carry a generator with us (expensive, heavy, and takes up room).
* microwave ~ we frequently reheat leftovers and it's easier to micro, than get out pots/pans and clean more. It's quick, clean, doesn't add heat (on hot days) and we have ours hooked up to the inverter outlet, so even if we are dry camping ~ we can still use the microwave and make our espresso latte's in the morning. :-)
* new vents in the bathroom door allowing heated air to circulate in the bathroom. Reace just added these for me ~ they work ~ I love them!
* we choose not to get shelves in our closet area. We hang our bulkier jackets, sweaters, jeans, etc in there.
* the propane line is extremely convenient using our modified weber 120 grill. (Reace can help you modify the barbecue).
* have yet to use the airconditioner or tv antenna, but will someday.
* we too have the thermo insulation and duo-pane windows.
* we usually bring our bicycles - the hitch was a must (especially using our 5.0). With the bike rack in the back, we repositioned our back lights so they could be seen clearly by rear traffic.
* we too have LED's inside and out. We used an amber light near the front door so bugs wouldn't be attracted to the light and make their way into the trailer.

Have fun... enjoy! Beth
Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:25 AM   #162

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Welcome, Beth! Sounds as if you have everything in order. We use the closet as a regular closet also and don't know what we would do without it.

I have had the opposite experience with the shower. Used hot water so that the shower was very warm while outside of it was unheated and cold. We could have been running heat but were not. Depends on the season and the weather.

We also switched to the amber light after getting a ton of bugs in! Much better now.

I can tell you love your 5.0.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #163

Trailer: 2010 5.0 Escape
Thank you Cathy...

Yes, love our 5.0 dearly. And yes, regarding the shower vents - depends on the weather outside. If it is hot outside, I may want the shower cooler - still, the vents should work fine for that (hot or cool). When using the fan in the shower, it draws the air from the main cabin. So if you've heated the main cabin, it will be warm. If you haven't heated it, and you have the insulation package I bet it is cool in the main cabin and therefore it will cool down the shower/toilet area. Not sure if it will work for all, I'm happy with it so far. :-)

Regarding other things I like. I think I've found a decent way to stock the "kitchen" cabinets above the sink and dinette area. When I can - I'll post pictures, and know that I'm open to better solutions.
Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:02 AM   #164

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
I've gone back and studied this thread as we get ready for our 19. I think John and Jim made mention of LED strips they put over the storage bins. It sounds like this is a do it yourself thing? Is it fairly easy to do -- or would you recommend we ask Reace to do it at the factory? Thanks, Ruth
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:17 AM   #165

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I don't think Escape has done this, but you certainly could ask. I got the idea from Jon, and gained a whole bunch of brownie points with my wife. I just spliced into existing 12V wires. A couple I had to fish in, but it was not too tough. I added the switch for each cabinet to the side of the frame, out of the way, but easy to use.

Minimally, I bet Escape would leave you some wires you just have to connect to. The effect is fantastic, you can actually clearly see in every corner of the cabinets.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:56 AM   #166

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I merely took a string of xmas led lights and stapled them to the bed underside and plugged in at the outlet by the bedside under the refer. That way I can plugin if I'm on electric and see underneath for items.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:21 PM   #167

Trailer: 2013 15B
Jim is correct. When building our 15B, I had Escape place the appropriate wires in all of the upper cabinets so that I could add lights at a later date. It was not a problem for them at all. I can't remember the cost, but it was minimal.
JimJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:57 PM   #168

I plan on using these Waterproof SMD Bar in the cabinets,bed, table seats in bright white with these Adjustable Door / Hood Pin Switch. I am debating under trailer lighting for night time backing and setting up / breaking down at night your crouched down doing connections and leveling and the lights on the sides and front are above you. I really don't like yelling at myself to get out of my light people stop and stare and such. :}

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #169

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
My LED cabinet lights are still going strong. I did suggest to Tammy that they consider cabinet lighting as an option, but they were concerned about them being left on with the cabinet closed - possible fire problem. While the LEDs don't get very warm and I've left mine on with closed doors for hours with no problems, I can understand her concern if there was a failure of one of the strips in a cabinet stuffed with clothing or other flammable stuff.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:16 PM   #170

Hey Jon.

I have used LEDs in the past for many things, they can get warm if not made right or closed in to much by a housing of some sort. All in all though the chances of them setting fire to anything is very slim. By using the pin switches there is no chance of leaving them on they only light when the doors, lids open and shut off immediately on closing. Other Items I am going to be using in conjuction with them are a prioritystart box ( prevents battery draw down below starting ability) see Priority Start - Galls marine grade breaker and 6 mini atc fuse panel. I will be using a timer circuit for the under body lights if I do them so even if I accidentally left them on they will shut off in 30 min on thier own. Not that I AHEM would be that forgetful or rush in a heavy rain or some such thing lol.

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #171

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post
I plan on using these Waterproof SMD Bar in the cabinets,bed, table seats in bright white with these Adjustable Door / Hood Pin Switch. I am debating under trailer lighting for night time backing and setting up / breaking down at night your crouched down doing connections and leveling and the lights on the sides and front are above you. I really don't like yelling at myself to get out of my light people stop and stare and such. :}

Cypher
I had considered similar switches, but half the time the lights are not needed, and often when loading up the doors are left open for a while, and I did not want to waste energy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I did suggest to Tammy that they consider cabinet lighting as an option, but they were concerned about them being left on with the cabinet closed - possible fire problem
Boy, I have tried touching mine after they have been on for a while, and there is not much heat there, I would describe them as being very warm at best. Also, if the light is left on, then it is pretty obvious even with the door closed, as the light shines out the gap between the door and cabinet quite brightly. This would be a good argument for the switches activated by opening the door though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:41 PM   #172

Trailer: 2014 19' hatch date Feb. 27
Clear coating

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
The one option I wish was offered was clear coating before the windows, doors etc. were attached as this would put an end to the gelcoat oxidizing over time and would make for a nicer finish when washed and waxed for a lot of years.
Is this an option that is offered?
ADKzookeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:15 PM   #173

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Asked about this topic before picking up in April 2013. Not something Escape does.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:13 PM   #174

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I had considered similar switches, but half the time the lights are not needed, and often when loading up the doors are left open for a while, and I did not want to waste energy.

Boy, I have tried touching mine after they have been on for a while, and there is not much heat there, I would describe them as being very warm at best. Also, if the light is left on, then it is pretty obvious even with the door closed, as the light shines out the gap between the door and cabinet quite brightly. This would be a good argument for the switches activated by opening the door though.
Another reason for using regular switches rather than versions that switch with the opening & closing of the cabinet doors is I often leave the cabinet doors open at night to keep stuff inside warm or cool (depending on the outside weather & trailer heat/AC. If they are open you are going to have a lot of light shining out at you.

As to heat, not a problem with the low power LEDs I'm using - I've left them on for hours without them getting warm to the touch.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:32 PM   #175
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Clear coat is not the end-all folks expect. It's really nothing more than paint. Whether gel coat or paint everything you want to protect from UVs require a good wax. The big difference is wax can be removed with wax remover (everyone that's removed wax from a kitchen floor know about this!) vs. removing paint.

I'm not impressed with clear coat (based on my motor vehicles). I'd rather take care (maintenace) with a quality wax product on new gel coat. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:29 AM   #176

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
paint?

Back in the 1950's the Corvettes were painted and they had a terrible time with paint cracking, more recently I believe they went to gelcoat and reduced the problem if not eliminate it. I have painted a number of cars but have not used clear coat as I'm too old school, but I do remember sanding a 57 vette to get rid of the paint cracks.
Jack of Tucson
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #177

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
Back in the 1950's the Corvettes were painted and they had a terrible time with paint cracking, more recently I believe they went to gelcoat and reduced the problem if not eliminate it.
I suppose it's possible that Corvettes had gelcoat as the final surface layer at some point in their history, but I'm sure they are painted now and have been for a long time - probably always. I doubt it would be possible to meet modern expectations of automotive finish with gelcoat as the surface, and it probably isn't even found between the fiberglass and the paint in a Corvette as it comes from the factory.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:06 PM   #178

Just thought I would update all of you after initially starting this thread over 2 years ago.
Our kids are enjoying my trailer immensely. They like all the modifications you suggested and I paid for.
I hope to use it again soon.
Dog as Navigator
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:36 PM   #179

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Don your thread was really helpful when we designed our trailer. But are you really not using it?
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:55 PM   #180

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
I just read a bit of this thread. I MUST have the combo dish washer/clothes washer!
alanmalk is online now   Reply With Quote