Ikea slatted bed base in a 19 - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2020, 01:13 PM   #41

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Yes, the frame is easy to disassemble. You can see the two screws that go into the end of the cross piece.

The amount of height trimmed is very small, about 3/4", but since I have a table saw .....

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
PC310008_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 02:00 PM   #42

Trailer: Escape 19 soon
Thank you!
caras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:09 PM   #43

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19
Inspired by this thread, and looking for a bit more comfort and better air circulation, I attempted to order the Lonset slatted system from IKEA early this summer. It was on sale- but out of stock, and I wasn't allowed to order it. So I kept watching and suddenly it was no longer offered, and I wasn't able to find out if it would be offered again. What was offered was a LEIRSUND, a similar system engineered to provide the option to elevate the head area as well as the foot area. It was on sale for 75.00- down from 225.00. I ordered it thinking it would work - even if the elevating option wouldn't work out.
Once we had the unit, I notched the corners and re-inforced the notch on the head end and ended up cutting a half inch off of each side of one unit. The other unit I left untouched- and it fit very well. The Head section elevates easily and makes it quite comfortable for reading or watching tv. I didn't bother to complete the option to raise the foot end because we didn't think we would use it, We can still do that if we change our mind. Thought others might find this interesting.
Thanks for providing the inspiration

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
ikea 2.jpg   20200907_115213 (002).jpg   ikea 3.jpg   Ikea 4a.jpg  
Leisure Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:47 PM   #44

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Sometimes things just work out. Good thing the one I used was out of stock because I think you've the best of both worlds. Air circulation and comfort as well as the ability to have a better reclining situation for the bed.

Nicely done.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 10:42 PM   #45

Trailer: 2020 E19
Do you have time to post more specific information about the frame modification required to install this? How does the head lift and does that work with the standard inner spring mattress from Escape? Thank you.
TV Audi Q7 TDI
kdelaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:19 AM   #46

Trailer: Escape 19 soon
Thank you! Just tried to order this but it is out of stock in my area. Will watch for it to be restocked!
caras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 11:35 AM   #47

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19
Hi Kim and Tom:
When you purchase this product it comes as two independent units each 30 inches wide, consisting of an outer frame and two adjustable inner frames - the top head section and the section for the lower body. The inner sections are bolted to the outer frame allowing movement up and down, and there are two metal mechanisms head end and foot end that allow you to manually lift the section to the desired height and it clicks in place. If you want to return to the flat position, you raise it fully, the mechanism releases and it reclines fully.
As Ron and others have mentioned in this thread, the Gen 1 19 has rounded corners, and a somewhat rounded back wall. To make these work you need to notch the corners, and reduce the width of one of the units, since the full 60 inches is just too tight. Your Gen 2 19 may be more accommodating.
So you remove the inner frames and I cut 5/8 inch off of both ends of each slat and each cross member to reduce the width by 1.25 inches. It sounds like a lot of work, but it isn't difficult. Just takes a bit of time. Everything comes apart and and goes together again really well.
The second step is notching the corners. I wanted to keep the notches as small as possible. I cut 3.5 in off of the side frame and top frame of both the head section and foot section, and reused the side frames because it was engineered to hold the slat supports. Shortened two slats top and bottom by 3.5 inches and reassembled. Since we only plan on adjusting the head section, I reinforced the notch on the head section, with metal corner brackets to provide extra strength when adjusting this section. Because I changed the width, I needed to move the adjusting mechanism slightly. Reattached the inner sections to the outer frame and installed. The second section I had left intact and the full 30 inches, and it fit nicely. There was a cross member provided that attached to each adjustable head unit, tying them together so they adjust as one unit.
I think those are the details- although I wanted to keep it shorter.
Because of the adjustable feature, IKEA literature states "Can be used with a foam or latex mattress. Not suitable for spring mattresses since the bed base is adjustable".
Hope this helps.
Jim
Leisure Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 07:32 PM   #48

Trailer: 2023 1st Gen 23, Formerly a 2021 21NE
IKEA slats

Unfortunately IKEA no longer sells the LONSET or the LEIRSUND. Only the basic LUROY.
BatChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 08:03 PM   #49

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
Lonset slats

Ikea is restocking and selling the Lonset slats in FL. (Jan.22)
Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 07:57 PM   #50

Trailer: 2021 Escape E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatChaser View Post
Unfortunately IKEA no longer sells the LONSET or the LEIRSUND. Only the basic LUROY.
Just curious what the problem with the currently available LUROY would be?
MarkinVan is offline   Reply With Quote