Install an air conditioner yourself - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2015, 11:07 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016 - 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Questions: Will the cost of an AC unit decrease in price over the years? Will labor become increasingly cheaper? Will you have the time and resources to install it yourself should you choose to? If there is a problem with the installation of unit, will you want to deal with that? If all the answers are yes, just hold off...............I didn't and I'm in the Pacific NW where we rarely use AC.
Thanks for your quick responses. Will probably stay with current build sheet.

bhonisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:25 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Pretty friggin' warm there now Charlie. What about seals going bad due to non-use?
Both the BUNA-N and Viton seals in the AC mechanical devices will outlast me. Not concerned.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:28 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Well, bhonisch, all I can tell you is I didn't include ac in my original build list because it did not suit my budget. I had to hold the line on add-on's some place, and ac is an expensive add-on. I also figured I could save a few hundred bucks by doing it myself when I was ready. Samo-samo with the tongue box.

The insulation package, was another biggie, but I went for it because unlike ac and the T-box that I could never do. If doing these things yourself exceeds your pay grade it's best to leave it to the experts, or convince yourself you can do without. You got the time, so wrassle with it.

Some seals go bad after spending too much time in the harbor. Others, not.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:30 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Both the BUNA-N and Viton seals in the AC mechanical devices will outlast me. Not concerned.
We know at least one other member is "often wrong":

IMHO any appliance needs maintenance and if you seldom/never use it why get it?

Dometic B2200 needs regassing? | MotorhomeFun | The Best M

RV AC And Camper Rooftop Air Conditioner Maintenance ...
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:49 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhonisch View Post
I am finalizing my build sheet and this is one item I am wondering about. Presently we have AC ready.
We generally camp in remote areas, where we cannot use ac.
After your install, do you think having the unit installed originally is the best for future use, when needed.
Any thoughts are appreciated. Thank you.
Since I don't live in a really hot area and avoid serviced camp sites like the plague I didn't get an A/C. I did make a small, easy to attach platform, so I could use my $89 cheapie 5,000 BTU unit. Only used it a couple of times, only takes a few minutes to put in place. So there is another option between all or nothing.

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 21-05-2015 4-53-49 PM_0003_resize.jpg (192.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 21-05-2015 4-54-18 PM_0004_resize.jpg (154.3 KB, 15 views)
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:59 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
That 'escape hatch' window sure is a very practical window. Guess we know now which side of the bed your feet are, Ron.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:10 AM   #17

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Since I don't live in a really hot area and avoid serviced camp sites like the plague I didn't get an A/C. I did make a small, easy to attach platform, so I could use my $89 cheapie 5,000 BTU unit. Only used it a couple of times, only takes a few minutes to put in place. So there is another option between all or nothing.

Ron
I can see that as a good alternative. The only hassle is the "setup", but its in the right place to keep the sleeping area cool, and I'm certain that it would be quieter than our roof mounted one. And, you can find these at any home improvement or hardware store for under $100. If it ever failed, you're not out much money. You could just replace it and not have to fool with repairs.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:41 AM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 Classic
Very nice job Myron, just wondering..... how much noise does such a unit make? On the inside and the outside?

On the inside, is the noise that low so you can sleep with it? And how annoying is an A/C unit for the neighbors at the campsite?
Seef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:44 AM   #19

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
I am finalizing my build sheet and this is one item I am wondering about. Presently we have AC ready.
We generally camp in remote areas, where we cannot use ac.
After your install, do you think having the unit installed originally is the best for future use, when needed.
Any thoughts are appreciated. Thank you.
Quote:
Thanks for your quick responses. Will probably stay with current build sheet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Seriously- the best advice IMO is build it for your use, not potential resale later. The upside for anyone later(for anyone who wants it) is that it will be new then with warranty.
My opinion may be colored because I live in the Sweat East, not the Pacific North Wet. But all I will say is need A/C even once and you will regret not having it. And that opinion was formulated when I lived in New Hampshire many years ago. I understand the concept of building it for yourself and not for resale, but relatively few people own trailers more than ten years old; they upgrade. How many 17s and 19s and 5.0s are being sold to upgrade to 21s and 5.0TAs? Lack of A/C will exclude at least 50 percent of potential buyers and may result in a longer wait for the correct buyer to come along, because the majority of buyers don't want the hassle of adding A/C; they want their purchase to be "ready to go." This debate makes me think of the old adage, "penny wise and pound foolish." But the most compelling reason still springs from that one night that you are trying to sleep and it is 90+ degrees (Fahrenheit, that is) and the humidity is in the 80s (and it usually lasts more than one night). That is when the nonexistent A/C will not come on, but the light will.
"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:10 AM   #20

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Well put Carl. I think the 'resale' factor should be part of it, unless you're one of those folks who buys something with no intention to ever get rid of it.