Install an air conditioner yourself - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2015, 04:32 PM   #41

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I'm a little offended by the adamant view taken by some that not ordering an A/C is a big mistake or scrimping.
Ron, you should not be offended in any way by my post. First, I was not being adamant about not having A/C being a mistake. I have often stated "to each his own." In this case, I was trying to respond to Rossue as to why I viewed A/C as an option as being different from other options. Furthermore, I was not implying that anyone was cutting corners by not having A/C. My primary concern, maybe not yours, is being comfortable when sleeping in the RV no matter where I go. I don't scrimp on comfort, and to me that means a comfortable temperature/humidity. To you it might be the lack of noise. And with my "to each his own," I'm entitled to be confused but that doesn't mean I think anyone is making a mistake.

Carl
Old 08-02-2015, 05:00 PM   #42

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
Wouldn't two Maxx fans short circuit and defeat their purpose ?
Why? Normally, in hot weather ceiling fans are used to pull the hottest air out the trailer, to be replaced by (hopefully cooler) air coming in the windows. If you're using power fans at both roof vents, you would probably want windows open at both ends of the trailer so that there's airflow everywhere.

Two MaxxFans would give you more airflow potential without resorting to high (noisy) fan speed, and let you decide where you want the airflow. I don't know if that's worth the cost - I only put one MaxxFan in my current 17-foot trailer with two vents.

If you have two roof vents but only one with a MaxxFan (the standard equipment) and leave both open, there will presumably be some air flow in the non-powered vent which might not be what you want. One power vent seems like more of a "short circuit" problem than two.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:10 PM   #43

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Why? Normally, in hot weather ceiling fans are used to pull the hottest air out the trailer, to be replaced by (hopefully cooler) air coming in the windows. If you're using power fans at both roof vents, you would probably want windows open at both ends of the trailer so that there's airflow everywhere.

Two MaxxFans would give you more airflow potential without resorting to high (noisy) fan speed, and let you decide where you want the airflow. I don't know if that's worth the cost - I only put one MaxxFan in my current 17-foot trailer with two vents.

If you have two roof vents but only one with a MaxxFan (the standard equipment) and leave both open, there will presumably be some air flow in the non-powered vent which might not be what you want. One power vent seems like more of a "short circuit" problem than two.
I see your point. These act like whole house fans that need furthest windows around the house cracked so as to bring in cooler outside air, got that. I did forget that if both fans are extracting to atmosphere you can't short circuit. My bad, I was thinking more in line with attic venting systems where one powered exhaust allows short circuiting if a passive entry point is near by.

Yes I do think two fans have merit especially if strategically located. You guys are putting too many ideas in my head. Keep it up.
Santiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:15 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I'm a little offended by the adamant view taken by some that not ordering an A/C is a big mistake or scrimping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Furthermore, I was not implying that anyone was cutting corners by not having A/C
Really? That's exactly what you explicitly said, Carl:
Quote:
While A/C is a necessity for me (summer puts the Flaw in Florida!), I just find it shall I say confusing why anyone would shell out the funds to purchase as nice a trailer as the Escape is and then scrimp by eliminating A/C.
(I bolded the most relevant bit.)

Maybe you just didn't mean what you wrote? Maybe you meant to say "choose not to buy A/C"? Many choices by other owners are not easy to understand from a different perspective.

I hope everyone realizes that
  1. there are factors other than cost in choosing air conditioning (or any option), and
  2. cost is a valid concern in any purchase, since none of us have unlimited funds.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:14 PM   #45

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
For when just one (dozen) cold ones will not do it for me....
Attached Thumbnails
ACceiling.jpg  
Old 08-02-2015, 06:33 PM   #46

Quote:
Really? That's exactly what you explicitly said, Carl:

(I bolded the most relevant bit.)

Maybe you just didn't mean what you wrote? Maybe you meant to say "choose not to buy A/C"? Many choices by other owners are not easy to understand from a different perspective.

I hope everyone realizes that
  1. there are factors other than cost in choosing air conditioning (or any option), and
  2. cost is a valid concern in any purchase, since none of us have unlimited funds.
Really? That's funny, because I would consider the most relevant thing I stated was "A/C is a necessity for me." I guess it is all in one's perception what is being said and how literal the reader takes it. I take objection to people assuming the meaning in what I may write in much the same way Ron takes objection to someone being adamant about something. But to each their own; you are entitled to your opinion and your choices. Let's not turn this thread into a debate. Perhaps I should have said it confuses me that individuals wouldn't make choices considering all future possibilities rather than current RV use practices.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:24 PM   #47

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
Wouldn't two Maxx fans short circuit and defeat their purpose ?
Dennis (Tammy's dad) came up with that idea at '14 Rally when we were speaking on the subject. Remember, the fans are reversible, so he was thinking you could have one be drawing air out as the other one was pulling it in.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:31 PM   #48

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Is it blowin' cold air yet Myron? Nice to get to the endpoint of a task like that.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:44 PM   #49

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Myron,
I see you have turned the street side of your bed into an instrument wall, I see your thermostat and a indoor humidity and I'm guessing some refer instruments? Plus the belt for tightening the refer's pants while under way.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:37 PM   #50

Quote:
Perhaps I should have said it confuses me that individuals wouldn't make choices considering all future possibilities rather than current RV use practices.
There we go - back to a constructive discussion.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:01 AM   #51

Quote:
There we go - back to a constructive discussion.
Brian, this, like many forums, consists of the exchange of information, ideas, and opinions among other things. As I see it, my posts in this thread have been a reflection of my approach to RVing, which in my mind should be an enjoyable/fun activity, and that the most important priority to ME is being comfortable, which can mean a whole lot of things (staying dry, feeling secure, not being miserably hot or cold, etc.)
My statement that "it confuses me ....," the key word being "ME," was a summary of my approach to RVing or, if you like, a statement of my opinion. Taken in context with the rest of my post, it was not critical of anyone else or their choices, it was a statement pertaining strictly to MY perception. SELECTIVELY quoted and taken out of context, any statement can be manipulated to mean something entirely different from what was intended. I would believe that people purchase a luxurious camping trailer rather than continuing to utilize a tent or the back of a station wagon for reasons of comfort as I did. And I chose options to ensure comfort under any and all conditions because, in MY opinion, that is what is important.
I (they key word is "I") fail to see why my clarification of a statement pertaining to MY opinion which was (again in my opinion, yours may differ) taken out of context with the entire concept I was expressing returns this thread to a productive discussion.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:00 AM   #52

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Not humidity. Top white controls the heater. Otherwise correct, Jim, but actually, what I didn't realize was both Acurites use the same frequency, so for outside readings they both read the same remote, the one closest, that's in the fridge. (Who knew?)

I like the upper one better because the display is big. Will probably remove the lower Acurite and relocate it near the dinette.
Attached Thumbnails
thermo2.jpg  
Old 08-03-2015, 08:59 AM   #53

Nice display, Myron!
Old 08-03-2015, 09:41 AM   #54

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I thought you had one of these, my bad.
Attached Thumbnails
81dk1r84w2L._SL1500_.jpg  
Old 08-03-2015, 08:34 PM   #55

Trailer: 2015 escape 19
I love this forum but hate when people become oversensitive when others have a different opinion.
LDRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:23 PM   #56

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDRay View Post
I love this forum but hate when people become oversensitive when others have a different opinion.
You mean like almost everywhere, whether on the internet, or not.

Having met both Ron and Carl, and having good conversation with both, I can honestly say both are great guys, who's broad regional differences just provide them with different perspectives and opinions. Not a big deal really.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:27 PM   #57

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Not humidity. Top white controls the heater. Otherwise correct, Jim, but actually, what I didn't realize was both Acurites use the same frequency, so for outside readings they both read the same remote, the one closest, that's in the fridge. (Who knew?)

I like the upper one better because the display is big. Will probably remove the lower Acurite and relocate it near the dinette.
Myron nice touch on the neat piece of wood under your heater control ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote