Installing A Television in a 2006 17b - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-08-2015, 09:34 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
grantpallen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Surrey, British Columbia
Trailer: 2006 Escape 17b
Posts: 27
Installing A Television in a 2006 17b

Anybody install a Television in a 17b? Looking for tips and suggestions on installation and what type of mount to use. Saw a Samsung 19 inch in London Drugs that looked like it has a separate transformer so I could have a direct 12v in.
Would like to have a mount that I could move around so I could see it from either end of the Trailer.
__________________

grantpallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 10:13 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
skiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Jeromesville, Ohio
Trailer: Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Posts: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantpallen View Post
Anybody install a Television in a 17b? Looking for tips and suggestions on installation and what type of mount to use. Saw a Samsung 19 inch in London Drugs that looked like it has a separate transformer so I could have a direct 12v in.
Would like to have a mount that I could move around so I could see it from either end of the Trailer.
I have a 21" Samsung TV that I rigged to use 12 volt direct. Ended up having to add a bunch of filters to eliminate hum and picture noise. Wouldn't do again. I'd go with a 12 volt Naxa or Jensen. The Samsung will work with a small inverter or just straight 120 volt. The inverter does add inefficiently.
__________________

__________________
Carl,

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 10:32 AM   #3
Commercial Member
 
tractors1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Posts: 2,326
Several slide-in mounts are available. Similar to this (VESA pattern):

YachtsOfStuff.com Connects Boaters to MAJ-BKTLA-7C Wall Mount Bracket, Vesa, 75mm & 100mm.
__________________
Charlie Y

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 01:31 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Sandra L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Antelope, California
Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2005 Toyota Sienna
Posts: 1,513
My tv mount that came with my Escape was mounted on the large dinette side of the fridge cabinet. It can be positioned to view the tv from either the "bed" (large dinette) or the small dinette. Of course it is easier to see from the bed due to the 19" size.
__________________
Peace and Sunshine
Sandra L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 01:42 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 10,741
You have to have had that wall reinforced during build or make sure that you hit framing when installing TV mount.
__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 02:32 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
David H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Parksville, British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 17B " Glass Cabin"
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
I have a 21" Samsung TV that I rigged to use 12 volt direct. Ended up having to add a bunch of filters to eliminate hum and picture noise. Wouldn't do again. I'd go with a 12 volt Naxa or Jensen. The Samsung will work with a small inverter or just straight 120 volt. The inverter does add inefficiently.

I believe the Samsung is a nominal 14 volt input which may cause some issues when using a volt or so less. I currently use a RCA 19" LED flat panel; which uses a 12 volt DC nominal input and it works just fine. I previously used a RCA 15" same configuration in the motor home I had prior to the Escape it also worked out successfully. The limit with the RCA is, once you go to the next screen size up 22" + it only has a 110 V AC input.
__________________
David
2016 VW Touareg TDI
2014 Escape 17B "Glass Cabin"
2008 Ausi Heeler, "Blue"
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 03:06 PM   #7
Commercial Member
 
tractors1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Posts: 2,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by David H View Post
I believe the Samsung is a nominal 14 volt input which may cause some issues when using a volt or so less. I currently use a RCA 19" LED flat panel; which uses a 12 volt DC nominal input and it works just fine. I previously used a RCA 15" same configuration in the motor home I had prior to the Escape it also worked out successfully. The limit with the RCA is, once you go to the next screen size up 22" + it only has a 110 V AC input.
I have a 12V RCA TV/DVD combo that works great. Huge viewing angles makes it easy to view.

22" RCA 12v LED TV DVD Combo, DECK22DR RoadTrucker
__________________
Charlie Y

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 03:41 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
David H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Parksville, British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 17B " Glass Cabin"
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I have a 12V RCA TV/DVD combo that works great. Huge viewing angles makes it easy to view.

22" RCA 12v LED TV DVD Combo, DECK22DR RoadTrucker
Charlie, the 19" was the largest available 12 v DC RCA when I bought mine. This must be fairly new they, indicate on their website "the RCA 12 Volt 22" LED TV DVD Combo is RCA's latest and largest 12 Volt TV with a DVD player for you to enjoy on the road, while in your vehicle". I really like the picture quality.
__________________
David
2016 VW Touareg TDI
2014 Escape 17B "Glass Cabin"
2008 Ausi Heeler, "Blue"
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 05:15 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
skiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Jeromesville, Ohio
Trailer: Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Posts: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
I have a 21" Samsung TV that I rigged to use 12 volt direct. Ended up having to add a bunch of filters to eliminate hum and picture noise. Wouldn't do again. I'd go with a 12 volt Naxa or Jensen. The Samsung will work with a small inverter or just straight 120 volt. The inverter does add inefficiently.
The TV works fine with the regular 12 volt plus from the trailer. The problem I had was hum on the audio and rolling interference on the screen. Post 10 in this thread shows stuff I had to use to block it out:


Television

__________________
Carl,

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:19 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
techfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Longview, WA, Washington
Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Posts: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
You have to have had that wall reinforced during build or make sure that you hit framing when installing TV mount.
Or, you could install a cabinet like I did that uses pressure between the counter and the upper cabinets and mount the swing arm to that. See posting in Latest Mods Latest Mods
__________________

__________________
Tim and Julie
2013 Escape 15B
2014 Nissan Frontier, Previous 2012 Santa Fe
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.