Installing Power Outlets in Rear of Trailer - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-02-2017, 05:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Installing Power Outlets in Rear of Trailer

Another of my Trilogy of Holiday Mods. Actually I wish there were really only 3 mods.

I installed the swing arm for the TV on the bulkhead by the stove. It will use 12 volts most of the time. I wanted an outlet close by. I wanted a "proper" outlet, not one tapped into existing wiring. There's nothing wrong with tapping into existing wiring for very small loads but I wanted a dedicated circuit.

It's my conclusion after considerable deconstructing of the trailer that power can be added to most areas after the fact. Previously I had pushed a flexible slat (with a red "X" on it) from the drivers side locker along between the bathroom wall and the outer shell to pull a tracer cord through. So it's possible to run new wiring from the panel to the rear without going externally or having it show.

I left the tracer cord in place for future use which made running the new cable to the rear easy. I used 14/2 stranded and tinned marine wire. It runs down the drivers side, across to the other side and into the area under the stove. There is an open path there, you just have to look for it.

I decided that I may as well install USB outlets also and what the heck one panel came with a voltmeter also. Like I need another voltmeter. Still, might be good as a mini night light and not wreck my night vision.

There was very little tolerance for drilling the holes correctly. There was very little margin on the panel between the edge of the panel and the hole. So I made a jig to hold the hole saw exactly where I wanted it. Got lucky, worked perfectly.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
14-03-2015 8-03-35 PM1_resize.jpg   14-03-2015 8-03-36 PM2_resize.jpg   IMGP0017_resize.JPG   IMGP0018_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:23 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That is a nice 12v outlet, source? Also is that not the kitchen wall which is very thin? or are you below the countertop?
Old 01-02-2017, 06:50 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
That is a nice 12v outlet, source?
A Google image search for "12V USB outlet with meter" shows lots of similar products. I agree that it's a very tidy setup.

Looking for the style of panel that Ron used I ran across devices like this:
12-38V 4.2A Waterproof Car Dual USB Charger Socket Blue Oblong Shape LED Voltage Meter
Now that's a tidy little package! It's designed to fit the same rectangular panel opening as common rocker switches, but installation would be easier for the type that uses a round hole, as Ron has chosen. There are many single-hole USB converters/outlets available, if you just want that and not the meter or lighter-style 12V accessory socket.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
That is a nice 12v outlet, source? Also is that not the kitchen wall which is very thin? or are you below the countertop?
Amazon is your friend. No, not thin, solid all the way.

Ron
Old 01-02-2017, 08:53 PM   #5

I paid about $25 CDN. for the whole panel with free delivery.

Ron