Interesting fan mister - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2018, 11:56 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Interesting fan mister

At the farmers' market the other day, the tamale lady had this running behind the table. It will work with ryobi 18v battery. it has a tube that goes down into a 5 gallon bucket--she had ice, but could use just water.

It would be fantastic for boondocking at Quartzite or wherever it's hot. Standing in front of it was an amazing difference in temperature. unlike the available ryobi fan, however, it does NOT also run on ac power. so i might see if i can rig my ryobi fan to mist in a similar way.

https://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Cove-M...9606TYVFMXEMF2
Old 06-15-2018, 12:31 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I had something like that to cool a non air-conditioned trailer, worked fine for about 3-4 hours, then the ice was gone.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Ryobi sells a cooler with fan; probably keeps the ice longer. Don't know relative cooling amounts. 3-4 hrs is all I usually need to get through the worst part of a hot day. (Around here where it isn't too hot.)
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:43 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Thanks, Bobbi. That's interesting. It's pretty pricey--you can buy a LOT of ice of $189.

While searching Ryobi's site, I did find an inflator that uses the battery for $20 through 6/20. Handy for topping a tire in a pinch. Or a bike tire, or maybe even a kayak.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:37 PM   #5

Trailer: 2006 17b Goucho
Got one, works great. I have have a few of tools that use the same battery packs. We used it a lot for kids sports.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Thanks, Bobbi. That's interesting. It's pretty pricey--you can buy a LOT of ice of $189.

While searching Ryobi's site, I did find an inflator that uses the battery for $20 through 6/20. Handy for topping a tire in a pinch. Or a bike tire, or maybe even a kayak.
The other one was listed at $130 so that's only $50 worth of ice- minus the 5 gallon bucket- and the price of it spilling in your trailer.

I have a Ryobi inflator (which I just found in my trailer today, have been looking for weeks!) I like mine, slightly different model, as it will do anything from bikes to cars and has a gauge you set for the desired pressure.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:45 PM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I had something like that to cool a non air-conditioned trailer, worked fine for about 3-4 hours, then the ice was gone.
The Escape air conditioner at 11,000 BTU/H is the equivalent cooling of melting 1,830 pounds of ice over 24 hours. A little evaporative cooling in hot, dry climates may work to take the edge off but the coolers with ice and a fan just crack me up.
Attached Thumbnails
CB8736AD-DE6E-4F06-ABAD-1B4F44214C47.jpeg  
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:24 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Yep, "AC in a bucket", "redneck AC" "AC in a cooler", etc, all nonsense.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:40 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
The Escape air conditioner at 11,000 BTU/H is the equivalent cooling of melting 1,830 pounds of ice over 24 hours. A little evaporative cooling in hot, dry climates may work to take the edge off but the coolers with ice and a fan just crack me up.
Might be a bit better off than that, since evaporating ice gets you two phase changes plus the temperature increase. The escape A/C is pretty good overkill in most cases, so I'd say it would only actually be running about 4 out of those 24hrs. So, all in all, maybe closer to 100Lbs of ice equivalent? So the 20lbs of ice in a cooler or bucket is probably enough to make a difference anyways. Something like a 10-15F drop. Not as good as the 40F drop the A/C might get you on a hot desert day, but better than nothing and way less battery power needed. Might also be a decent supplement to the A/C if you do have big enough batteries to run it.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 03:57 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I always thought that a/c was designed for a 20 degree differential, not 40 degrees and with a 20 degree drop and dehumidifying it will feel good. Strange out west they add humidity to cool with swamp coolers and here on the East, removal of water helps to cool with a/c.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:01 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I can't speak to the design goals, and I might be a bit of an exception since I got all the insulation options on my 19', but mine was probably working at something like a 60-70% duty cycle to keep the trailer at <75F with an outdoor temperature of around 105F.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 04:05 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
I always thought that a/c was designed for a 20 degree differential, not 40 degrees and with a 20 degree drop and dehumidifying it will feel good.
Generally yes, a 20 degree F differential while maintaining about 55 percent humidity. But, I've easily cooled our 19 with the factory AC well beyond the 20 degree difference, as much as 30 degrees, with about a 75% duty cycle. Of course, it's a small interior and an AC with relatively high cooling capacity.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:34 PM   #13

Trailer: None now
Quote:
I always thought that a/c was designed for a 20 degree differential, not 40 degrees and with a 20 degree drop and dehumidifying it will feel good. Strange out west they add humidity to cool with swamp coolers and here on the East, removal of water helps to cool with a/c.

That's because they have that dry heat. Swamp coolers do squat on Florida and other places where the humidity is usually high.
I remember when I was passing through Quartzsite one fine August day. We stopped at a small shop that had rocks out and the fellow handed us rags. I'm looking at the rag and going huh? First item I touched I decided the rag was a smart idea.

He had misters set up around his shaded spot and is was noticeably cooler there. And they can say what they want about the difference between a dry heat and our heat. When you stick your head in an oven it's hot!
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:55 PM   #14

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We had a houseboat on Lake Shasta where summers are notoriously hot (think 110º in the shade). We had several Endless Breeze Fans (https://store.airstream.com/product/...-portable-fan/) and loved them. When we sold the boat, they all came home with us and now travel in the trailer for use outside to cool us off and to keep the bugs at bay. They last forever.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:50 PM   #15

Trailer: 2006 17b Goucho
When we desert camp I put a mister hose on the awning and hook it up to an adapter on the exterior shower for water. It works fine but of course we need extra water.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:06 AM   #16

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
We had a houseboat on Lake Shasta where summers are notoriously hot (think 110º in the shade). We had several Endless Breeze Fans (https://store.airstream.com/product/...-portable-fan/) and loved them. When we sold the boat, they all came home with us and now travel in the trailer for use outside to cool us off and to keep the bugs at bay. They last forever.
We have one too. This is a well made 12V fan that really moves some air.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:10 PM   #17

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
If you were really motivated to making this work, you could install this unit:

https://www.turbokool.net/

If I lived in a desert area, I might consider it.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:21 AM   #18

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
walmart sells a 'misting ring' to add to a fan for $18

https://www.walmart.com/ip/12-Cool-M...Ring/618938941

I would experiment with that.
I already tried clipping on a mister to the canopy and that worked very well. When in a campsite with water supplied.
I was trying to figure out how to adapt one of those pump sprayers to provide the water and pressure to the misting heads but my pump sprayer was called into action to spray weeds before I could find the adapters.
I made an adapter to go on the outside shower hose but I was worried about using up my water supply while boon-docking.
So my next try will be a stand alone 12v water pump running the mister only from a container holding water, like a battery case.
The solar panels will replace the battery use and if I run out of water then I'll just stop and get hot for the rest of the day.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:30 AM   #19

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
If you were really motivated to making this work, you could install this unit:

https://www.turbokool.net/

If I lived in a desert area, I might consider it.

Very nice solution, well thought out and looks well made.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:38 PM   #20
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxoco View Post
walmart sells a 'misting ring' to add to a fan for $18

https://www.walmart.com/ip/12-Cool-M...Ring/618938941

I would experiment with that..
those sorts of misters require 80PSI or so water pressure to develop decent mist. thats fine if you're on city water, but if you're on city water, you're probably on city power too, and can run your A/C.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote