Inviting open conversation and opinion here. - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2013, 08:16 AM   #61

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
"Alf...are you there Alf. Your going in the right direction. You need it all the options this time. You don't want Jim to out show you. I'll make you a deal. Just let loose of all your money and I'll make you the envy of all crowd at the next 2014 Niagara Wine Escape. Get it all Alf...you need it. And get red graphics this time. I like red."
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #62

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandsandyclink View Post
"Alf...are you there Alf. Your going in the right direction. You need it all the options this time. You don't want Jim to out show you. I'll make you a deal. Just let loose of all your money and I'll make you the envy of all crowd at the next 2014 Niagara Wine Escape. Get it all Alf...you need it. And get red graphics this time. I like red."
Hi: daveandsandyclink... I too like to play "Devils advocate"...but I'm more of a "Golden stripe" type!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030398.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #63

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
Open conversation

All, we bought the 19 three years ago and thought it would be our last trailer, we loved it, but seven weeks traveling was max. We are travelers, not campers. When we saw the 21, it was just enough larger that we plan on longer trips now, the bath is larger, we can both be in the center area of the trailer and larger holding tanks, plus. Now we plan on going to Texas, then to BC, Montana, Oregon and then down the coast to home. At least 8 weeks or more and we should enjoy it more. The difference to buy was not so much since resale was good, everyone wants an Escape it seems.
I retired in 94 from a good job that I had liked until shortly before that time and we have been going since. We always did travel, part of the job, now we can't stop and the kids have the same problem, where to go next.
We hope to see you at one of the rallys this next year as we Escape the heat.
Jack and Nancy of Tucson ( it's cold here now, 30's to 40's at night)
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:03 AM   #64

Sorry Alf, I am having fun with this. I didn't want to send it but the devil said I owed him. I mean no harm. As you would say. "Don't take life too seriously. Investment should be on the banded subject list. It's up there with firearm ownership.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #65

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi:daveandsandyclink... No probs!!! Canadians aren't allowed hand guns... only long guns with a ton of "Red Tape" Heaven forbid we might hurt some criminal!!!Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:06 AM   #66

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandsandyclink View Post
Those who have live within their means, worked hard, who save money all their life will have trouble turning lose of acquired wealth to enjoy their retirement. Instead passing it on to others in the end.
I suggest being very careful of generalizations.

My parents always worked hard, have saved money all their lives, never borrowed for anything but a house, and have been enjoying retirement for many years, complete with travel around North America and once to Europe. They are enjoying the product of their working lives, but in a reasonable manner. I have already been told not to expect any inheritance, but at the same time I'm sure they'll manage their funds to not run out prematurely.

I do agree that people who spend their whole lives in one place are unlikely to suddenly become globetrotters at retirement, but life is rarely so clear and extreme.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
Presently I'm in the middle of a kitchen remodel... There are way too many ways to spend money on what primarily is simply food preparation. I'm sure I am going to enjoy the final product, but at times, like early in the morning when I'm the only one up, I get a strong case of second guessing the expensive decisions already made.
Right - when did granite become the lesser second choice (to quartz) for countertops? Plastic laminate served fine for decades, at a small fraction of the cost, but the fashion - promoted on 24 hours per day of home renovation TV shows - demands nothing than a countertop which costs as much as all of the cabinets.
(The real joke is that the "quartz" is stone chips, bonded together in plastic, so it isn't even real stone)

Things which become assets of valuable do need to be saleable to the next person, but other than that if an expenditure doesn't make your life better, it is wasted. If it is to keep up with the neighbors (and in today's world of communication, everyone on the planet is a neighbor to compete with), then it had better make you very happy to match those neighbors!
Old 12-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #68

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
In most cases the Blue Chip stocks that fell in '08 are , today, doing fine. You don't really lose until you sell.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #69

Great post Jack. After 40 in the oil patch, I am ready to travel with the wind direction. I have been weaning them off my knowledge and experience for the past two months. Your travel plans sound great. We are planning similar excursions in 2014.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #70

"Alf...Don't listen to that devil. You've got a good trailer just the way you want it. What if the new 5.1 is flawed? Use that cash for travel expenses. Besides I love those golden graphics. Don't do it Alf."
Old 12-08-2013, 12:12 PM   #71

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Right - when did granite become the lesser second choice (to quartz) for countertops? Plastic laminate served fine for decades, at a small fraction of the cost, but the fashion - promoted on 24 hours per day of home renovation TV shows - demands nothing than a countertop which costs as much as all of the cabinets.
(The real joke is that the "quartz" is stone chips, bonded together in plastic, so it isn't even real stone)

Things which become assets of valuable do need to be saleable to the next person, but other than that if an expenditure doesn't make your life better, it is wasted. If it is to keep up with the neighbors (and in today's world of communication, everyone on the planet is a neighbor to compete with), then it had better make you very happy to match those neighbors!
A couple of good posts Brian... and when did 4-5 bathrooms become the norm?
As for countertops, after 20 plus years we are finishing the kitchen ( do not ask ! )
and will probably do the tops with portland cement. Seems to be popular and a lot less cost. Besides, when we sell, new buyers today seem to redo the kitchen anyway.
robertg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #72

Trailer: not yet
In my neighborhood we've witnessed folks spend money on "making the house more attractive to sell" only to later watch the new owners rip it all out and start over. Lesson learned: just fix up for your own use. Later owners will do the same.

But that being said....

We are down to 1 working stove top burner, both ovens dead, no dish washer, noisy hood fan and leaking plumbing. We're splurging on the countertops because we both hate grouted anything and have each done really bad things to plastic laminate.

We almost got a FGRV just to cook in during the remodel. But I'm doing pretty well with an induction hot plate so far...
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #73

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
We install tons of granite and quartz countertops. Granite has been the go to for many years now, and really has not gone up in cost. Quartz has been around for a while, and about 10 years it started taking off in popularity.

Quartz has a lot of benefits. There are now 1000's of choices. Seeing it is either stone chips, or smaller stones (yes, real stone), set in a resin, it is a lot less porous than granite, important where staining is a possibility. It works great for eating bars, in that it does not need additional support brackets in most places due to being way stronger than granite. Another thing that many people like, is the consistency of the product from sheet to sheet, maintaining an even look to the finish.

For me personally, that last reason is why I prefer the look of natural stone. I just love Mother Natures patterns put into them. One couple we installed some granite for were divided on a particular area that was a bit different. She called it a blemish, and he thought it was a beauty mark.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:52 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Granite has been the go to for many years now, and really has not gone up in cost.
That's a bit like saying Ferraris are not much more expensive than they used to be

I'm not questioning that these premium products have benefits; the question - whether it is your Escape options or your kitchen countertops - is whether or not the expenditure provides corresponding enjoyment.

This seems especially relevant for stuff which claims long life as an advantage, but is routinely thrown out after a few years just for the sake of fashion. Jim, I assume that you have hauled perfectly good 10-year-old granite countertops out of houses because the next owner wanted a different colour, even though that material could have served well for decades (yes, much longer than laminate, but it doesn't matter as it hits the dumpster).

Another area for this concern (mentioned earlier) is electronics. An Escape trailer will last decades, but whatever television you put in will be obsolete in a few years, so maybe it's not worth a lot of expenditure. A good mounting setup might have value for much longer than the TV itself.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:43 PM   #75

Trailer: 2014 19. Birthing date June 23
Thanks for the financial advice
PAB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #76
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I refuse to get sucked into the biggest, fastest, smartest, newest group. I buy and continue to own computers, phones, vehicles and a trailer that works best for me. Shoot, I own two cars that have 8-track players! Ya know what... they still work and I love them. When the cash outlay meets my needs... I buy. But, not until then.

Donna D. who has four cars where the newest is a 1967 and a 2000 truck. The wheels continue to turn!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote