Inviting open conversation and opinion here. - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #21

Trailer: 21' Escape
On the other hand, you work hard all of your life to be able to enjoy what you want in your senior years. Why not take advantage and enjoy what you want and think you need. I have already informed my children not to expect much when I leave, I will have just enough to get me in the ground and a small amount left over for them.
floorpanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Since I retired, my goal is to spend my retirement every month. I saved my entire life for "tomorrow" and it has arrived. What I have in the bank stays there but I do not add anything. No more saving for me, If I do not spend it every month, I give it away to charity or friends and family. I do not want to leave this life with any more than what I came into it with.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Bumper Snicker.
Attached Thumbnails
BumperSnicker.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Bumper Snicker.
Hi: Donna D... My Dad always said "I'd rather give it to you now, and watch you enjoy it, rather than know you're fighting over it when I'm gone"!!! Thanks DAD. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:05 AM   #25
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Smart Dad Alf!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #26

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Dave, re; "In the end, the devil won out on my shoulder too Myron."

Agreed. Let it snow, fellow mod-adders, we add what makes us happy, 'cause in the end, so aptly put by Bill Murray, "..it just doesn't matter."
Attached Thumbnails
sno6c.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #27

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
My wife and I have been blessed with good health and prosperity. But my next generation and their next may not be so lucky. To eat up everything in the store room before passing is just selfish in my book. My God teaches me different. I think a guy camping in a 13' 1985 U-Haul has just as much enjoyment as I do. In fact when I stay in my travel trailer for any length of time I start think about why I need all that stuff back at home. And why have I used up my life accumulating wealth and accumulating stuff that has to be maintained and secure in my retirement years. Like I said in a previous post...the devil won again. Myron pegged it for me this morning.

This is my opinion and but respectfully disagree with yours.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #28

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Donna D... My Dad always said "I'd rather give it to you now, and watch you enjoy it, rather than know you're fighting over it when I'm gone"!!! Thanks DAD. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
To both Jim and Alf ... our sentiments exactly!! We have many fond memories of the activities we've enjoyed with our kids and grandkids through the years. We may not have much to leave them when we die, but, we've left them a lifetime of memories.
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
To both Jim and Alf ... our sentiments exactly!! We have many fond memories of the activities we've enjoyed with our kids and grandkids through the years. We may not have much to leave them when we die, but, we've left them a lifetime of memories.
We feel the same. Our kids are our best friends.
A quote I once read: " the last check you should write is to the undertaker and it should bounce "
robertg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 escape 17B
Interesting conversation! We are having a 17b built and just bought a new dodge ram. This is so out of my character that I have trouble with the concept. Totally stepped out of my comfort zone with the thought that if I don't do these things now at 63 I will probably never do them. I work at a job that is also my passion, so don't know what hating work feels like, but the financial reward has meant being very careful and conservative. These are the first NEW things we've had other than some of the furniture'. We're hoping for much enjoyment and fairly inexpensive holidays from this. I feel blessed to have had a good life with good health and a full cup. I think we've made the right decision. We still have our minds and mobility can enjoy some trips, it's now or never!!!! (BUT NOT EASY!!!)
dglasrud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #31

I think we all are slowly realizing we are no longer invincible. Having parents and friends pass away makes us realize this.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dglasrud View Post
Interesting conversation! We are having a 17b built and just bought a new dodge ram. This is so out of my character that I have trouble with the concept. Totally stepped out of my comfort zone with the thought that if I don't do these things now at 63 I will probably never do them. I work at a job that is also my passion, so don't know what hating work feels like, but the financial reward has meant being very careful and conservative. These are the first NEW things we've had other than some of the furniture'. We're hoping for much enjoyment and fairly inexpensive holidays from this. I feel blessed to have had a good life with good health and a full cup. I think we've made the right decision. We still have our minds and mobility can enjoy some trips, it's now or never!!!! (BUT NOT EASY!!!)
We also had difficulty with the purchase but gave in for the same reasons;
" stuff is stress ". We are doing this for the kids future enjoyment as much as ours.
We believe that "less is more" and are planning on helping the next generation
as much as we can now, when they are building their lives. Ideally, die broke... a good tax avoidance tactic also.
This thread is getting quite philosophical, however, I find it enjoyable to read comments from experienced/mature people on their values. " Experience is the best teacher and the most expensive ".
robertg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #33

My thoughts on spending money: "It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money-that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot-it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better." John Ruskin, 1857
Old 12-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #34

I enjoy stimulating conversation. That's why I started this thread. I sometimes use shock and awl just get discussions started.
Helping people solve their problems and sharing my experience in RVing is one primary reason for the existence of this forum. But I have to admit that gets rather old. Talking about the same old issues. I catch myself wondering why some aren't tapping into the wealth of information about Escapes in the archives.
This morning after reading some of the post about spending the last dollar at your last breath. That didn't seem wise to me. I wish you well if your trying this. Unless you take the easy way out of this world or become terminally sick, you don't get to decide your time and place. Burn through your 401K too fast and you might find yourself living under a bridge with a shopping cart.
I encourage everyone to get your grandkids outdoors away from their electronic distractions. They are likely going to remember the time you shared camping and not your money.
Please feel free to set me straight or share what on your mind on this thread.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #35

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Sorta like choosing to go to an all-inclusive resort now or using the money to keep yourself out of an all-inclusive home later.
I can do a lot of camping with the $5,000 it would cost for ten days in the Dominican Republic.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:41 PM   #36

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Using language can be the stumbler. Having to actually write thoughts down compounds the trouble for many of us. It's a craft. Have noticed after the fact there's often a better way to say what I meant after I've wrestled them words onto the page, er, screen. Writing, once sent, is so final, the un-ringable bell, as F. Lee Bailey said, at a certain "trial of the century" some years ago. A second issue I've noticed is bad readers...them who don't really "read," who I guess are instead skimming, may sense trickery, and who thereby mis-interpret the key point, refuse, or fail to accept logic they did not recognize, then inject a narrow predjudice in their response that's more imagined turf protection than justified counterpoint. That's sure apparent in the wide range of tender issues popular locally as well as nationally.

Proper use of the language is a craft worth learning, just for the pure fun of it, and costs nothing but time. I think most people, excepting the lazy, those who didn't get the memo, career criminals, and the borderline insane, hold dear all the same basic values and virtues.

As for them who I leave behind when I get to the great campground in the sky, well, my best guess is they will be too busy with their own lives to dwell longer than a few minutes to care a fig about mine. I am fine with that. Hell, what choice do we have, anyway?
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #37

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
I am hoping that the Escape will be a way for us to minimize our "things" -- I spent my teen years telling my mother that I would not be a slave to my material possessions and now I find that we own two homes, filled with stuff. A summer house was great when we wanted to get five kids out of New Jersey, but we don't need it anymore -- still it's hard to let go. I'm hoping that a summer of travel will take care of that and we'll both be ready to let someone else enjoy it. We've been fairly generous with our kids -- and I was extremely generous with my time -- I homeschooled all five of them -- so I don't feel bad spending money on us. In addition, the trailer will allow us to visit them more easily.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:45 PM   #38

I was setting down with my wise, old, financial adviser the other day. We were talking about my goals and directions. His said a couple of interesting things that I remembered from that day.
One...He meets a lot of hard working people who's only goal is to retire and travel the world. Finally unchained from the yoke and free to roam. What he see's is this...If you have never traveled much during your life, your not likely to travel much in retirement. If you don't learn the art of travel while on the path to retirement you soon learn that after you've made it, it's not what it seems and it becomes a passing dream... often staylng home instead.
And two...Those who have live within their means, worked hard, who save money all their life will have trouble turning lose of acquired wealth to enjoy their retirement. Instead passing it on to others in the end.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:28 PM   #39

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
I hope he's better at finances than glee club offerings!
What a carmudgeon !
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #40

Don't forget, these are words of wisdom that were spoken by someone "Who is still working" or at least sounds like he is still working.