It has begun... Modifications, that is. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2013, 11:36 AM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
It has begun... Modifications, that is.

Here's a quick snap of the first of several planned modifications to our new 19:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1600.JPG  

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:44 AM   #2

Hi Doug,
That looks like lovely work! Can you provide more details as to how you attached it or maybe a close up photo of the upper part? Did you screw it into the fiberglass? For the last few weeks I have been wracking my brain as to how to achieve more shelves and storage for all the little things that don't have a good home elsewhere.
Thanks for sharing!
Lisa
FamilyFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #3

Here you go. The trick is to build it so that it just fits, then it doesn't need as many attachment points. Cutting the backs of the shelves to form-fit to the side of the trailer, while keeping the shelves level, was the biggest challenge here.

The two photos below show the top left and bottom right of the shelf.

At the top left I've put two screws up into the cabinet above -- these two screws support all the weight. Since they're inserted vertically into what I assume is particle board or some other form of composite, they won't support a lot of weight. But they'll be fine for dish soap and hand sanitizer.

At the bottom right, I've got a block attached to the side of the shelf that just fits behind the shade flange on the window. It's not attached to anything on the bottom right, but the shade flange keeps the shelf from moving out from the wall and the fact that the block just fits keeps the shelf from moving to the left or right.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1602.jpg   IMG_1604.jpg  

Old 06-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Let the fun begin.
Looks great, Doug.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: dbailey... I'll be in the Ottawa area next weekend to inspect the work and assess any extra value added!!! Looks like good workmanship tho. Hope around nine will be fine. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #6

9 will be excellent. I might have a prototype of the second modification done by then, if this wonderful weather doesn't drag me out of my shop.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I don't believe there is any particle board in the trailer, anywhere.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #8

You're probably right. I can see the framework inside the counter cabinet and the frame there is done with pine (or some other similar soft wood). Likely the frame in the overheads is the same. On the other hand, the *feel* of the screw going into the material didn't feel like pine. It felt denser. Not sure what that means.

Regardless, just as a matter of good design principle: unless I know it for certain I assume the worst. That's not to say I assume it's particle board or anything else in particular; rather, I just consider it to be an unknown and I plan/design with the assumption that its ability to hold a screw is the poorest of the likely alternatives. That is to say: "better safe than sorry".

Old 06-15-2013, 04:56 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Doug, very nice job. Those are certainly handy shelves.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:20 PM   #10

Thank you for the other photos Doug. Very creative....I wish I had asked for more reinforced walls in our trailer (I have just one)....it's tricky to hang shelves without solid wood and I didn't realize the need we would have for them until we got our trailer!
Lisa
FamilyFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:14 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyFun View Post
Thank you for the other photos Doug. Very creative....I wish I had asked for more reinforced walls in our trailer (I have just one)....it's tricky to hang shelves without solid wood and I didn't realize the need we would have for them until we got our trailer!
Lisa
Hi: FamilyFun...If you look really close at the walls of the cabinettes you can trace the staple marks that usually line up with the wood grain face. These are where the facia fastens to the framing...usually 1X2's. This might be a convienient place to screw in some shelves IMO!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #12

Agreed. We bought one off the lot. It has no reinforced walls at all. If I had specified one from scratch, I probably would have had every wall panel reinforced and to heck with the few extra pounds. So, yes, "creative" must be the name of the game. Think outside the Dog House...

This afternoon I made a happy discovery... If you look in the corners over the bed, in each corner there's one of Reace's screw covers holding the vinyl in. If you take that screw out and look behind the vinyl corner piece, you'll find a wood block fiberglassed in. So I've got a nice mount point for a corner shelf for eye glasses, books, etc over the bed. This is the next project.

(The side of the bed towards the front of the trailer is much easier, of course, because there are wall panels there. Even if they're not reinforced, they're more than strong enough for an eye glasses shelf.)

Old 06-15-2013, 11:25 PM   #13

If you want a place to put eyeglasses, keys, iPod etc., check out Rubbermaid mesh baskets. They come in a lot of sizes and they have a lip on the basket that is intended for locking two or more together. That lip fits over the window frame. I've got one at the bed and one over the dinette and use them for utensils in the kitchen drawer and for spice bottles in the cupboard over the fridge.

Interlocking Mesh Drawer Organizers | Kitchen Drawer Organization | Rubbermaid

Drill no holes.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:54 PM   #14

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
This afternoon I made a happy discovery... If you look in the corners over the bed, in each corner there's one of Reace's screw covers holding the vinyl in. If you take that screw out and look behind the vinyl corner piece, you'll find a wood block fiberglassed in. So I've got a nice mount point for a corner shelf for eye glasses, books, etc over the bed. This is the next project.
We'll be looking forward to your photos of this modification too!

Thanks for posting your great ideas
Glennrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:00 AM   #15

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
If you want a place to put eyeglasses, keys, iPod etc., check out Rubbermaid mesh baskets. They come in a lot of sizes and they have a lip on the basket that is intended for locking two or more together. That lip fits over the window frame. I've got one at the bed and one over the dinette and use them for utensils in the kitchen drawer and for spice bottles in the cupboard over the fridge.
This looks like a good alternative idea, but I'm a little confused about the placement of one over the dinette - do you mean the front window? Our front window doesn't seem to have a lip, and it would be such a good place for one of those little baskets.
Glennrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:11 AM   #16

Yup. Sorry. Mine is a 2008 with the opening front window that was discontinued when the manufacturer stopped making them.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:35 AM   #17

But gbaglo, where's the fun in that?

btw, does anybody else look at the pair of drawers in their trailer and think "hmmm, if I removed those two drawers I bet I could fit three in their place..." ?

Old 06-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I like Dave and Sandy's solution for small storage. If you have overhead cabinets or shelves, this would be an easy mod rather than recreating the wheel: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7/cubbies-1438.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #19

There are lots of good options available pre-built, and there are good deals out there, too. But if you enjoy the process of rolling your own, there are also lots of opportunities to express your creativity in one of our trailers.