Jon's Escape 21 Modifications - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-27-2017, 11:05 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
There are a number of ways. In my case I machine screwed a piece of 2"X2X to the frame of the trailer, then lag bolted (with fender washers to spread out the weight) the 5" tube to the 2'X2". You need a short handled socket wrench to fit inside the tube...
2X run length of tube?
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:07 AM   #22

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post

Come late January will be going to San Diego (and hope to loop back to the Quartzsite Rally) but, I can't find any info on camping grounds off I-8 from Yuma, AZ to El Centro, CA. Is there anything along this route you could recommend for a quick overnight?

Thanks. Merry Christmas!
Wish I could be there soon (photo or other) but not hoping for snow. You should get plenty soon enough where you are. Beautiful photo.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:49 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
2X run length of tube?
2 12" pieces, parallel to the frame (one on each side). The fiberglass shell extends below the frame on the outside edges, so the 2"X2" is a necessary spacer, plus it makes it easier to mount the tube.
Old 12-28-2017, 01:36 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Jon's Escape 21 Modifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I've always used 100 amp shunts in boats and trailers with 1500 watt, and even in my Scamp, a 3000 watt inverter, without any problem. My largest load at any one time is my microwave.

Ron
Thanks Ron

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:29 AM   #25

Trailer: 2018 21'
Jon - does the Springfield table leg allow you to lower the table to bed-height without removing the leg? New to trailer camping..... Thank you.
hollyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:32 AM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyt View Post
Jon - does the Springfield table leg allow you to lower the table to bed-height without removing the leg? New to trailer camping..... Thank you.
Yes, it does.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:32 AM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Not Jon, but yes. It telescopes.EDIT: Doh! Ya beat me to it Jim.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:34 AM   #28

Thanks. Sounds like a great idea.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:35 AM   #29

I see you are a neighbor - almost. Glad to know it.
I am looking very forward to picking up our new Escape in May.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:41 AM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
I see you are a neighbor - almost. Glad to know it.
I am looking very forward to picking up our new Escape in May.
Wow Holly, New Braunfels! That's just down the road apiece from the home we are building at Canyon Lake. You're gonna love your 21.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:47 AM   #31

Yes we are actually halfway between CL and NB, off 306.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:52 AM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
2 12" pieces, parallel to the frame (one on each side). The fiberglass shell extends below the frame on the outside edges, so the 2"X2" is a necessary spacer, plus it makes it easier to mount the tube.
Jon, if you get an opportunity, would you mind posting a photo of how you mounted this tube to your trailer? Thanks.

BTW- It turns out that Lowe's doesn't stock the square plastic fence posts in some parts of the country. I had never seen one and that's why I didn't know what you were talking about. I think Lowe's will order one for me, though. I need to store my folding ladder as well and this sounds like a good idea.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:48 AM   #33

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Hi Jon, Nice Cell antenna. What did you use for the booster inside? And I assume the booster is DC powered, correct? Thanks for sharing your mods!
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:17 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Jon, if you get an opportunity, would you mind posting a photo of how you mounted this tube to your trailer? Thanks.

Here are a couple of photos:

BTW- It turns out that Lowe's doesn't stock the square plastic fence posts in some parts of the country. I had never seen one and that's why I didn't know what you were talking about. I think Lowe's will order one for me, though. I need to store my folding ladder as well and this sounds like a good idea.
I don't know if it works the same everywhere, but I had to order the 5" post drop shipped to the nearest Lowes, which was in Lake Havasu City, 60 miles from Quartzsite. Strangely enough, they would not drop ship the end caps when ordered at the same time - they mailed them to the Quiet Times store (a Quartzsite mail drop I use). Shipping was free in both cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
Hi Jon, Nice Cell antenna. What did you use for the booster inside? And I assume the booster is DC powered, correct? Thanks for sharing your mods!
I'm using an old Sleek booster, a cradle type that is no longer made by Wilson. They currently sell WeBoost versions of the same thing. Since the cradle type requires inserting the cell device & I now carry both AT&T and Verizon data devices as well as an AT&T phone, I'm considering a whole trailer booster. Although Wilson makes retransmitting boosters, I'm currently looking at the Max Amp Mobile, which has pretty good reviews & is sized for a car or small trailer. Both are DC powered. I added a drop in the driver's side rear upper cabinet for the amp, Verizon JetPack & AT&T Mobley. I also have a WiFi repeating system I use when in Canada, or find a WiFi system & no cell service. This link describes the system. While is is a 120V device, I purchased a 12V supply that replaces the AC supply.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0561.jpg   IMG_0562.jpg   IMG_0565.jpg   IMG_0568.jpg  
Old 01-12-2018, 08:41 AM   #35

Jon I have another question regarding the telescoping leg.
I have a photo of a 21' I took when we were in Chilliwack last summer. Looks like the table actually has 2 legs. Does your 21' table have 2 telescoping legs, or did you put only 1 leg in? Is it stable enough? ((I'm guessing it is because so many people have it, but again, do you only have 1 leg installed?)
Last question (for now) - is the telescoping table leg removable, like the "standard" legs are, and if so, about how high above the floor does the mount for the leg stand? (I'm guessing it's not flush with the floor).
Thank you for your time -
Old 01-12-2018, 10:52 AM   #36

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
Thanks Jon for the excellent shunt summary. With regard to the 70 amp limit on the 100 amp/100mv shunt, I suspect that the suggested 70 amp limit is for continuous current, as for example with a charging current sustained over hours (not that such charging current is likely in an Escape). If the only item in the Escape that will draw slightly more than 70 amps is the microwave, perhaps the duration of the typical load would mean the shunt would not have time to overheat. Just a thought. I am not sure how one could determine this with certainty ahead of time, but perhaps the shunt manufacturer could advise on the link between load duration and overheating.
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:43 AM   #37

Quote:
Jon I have another question regarding the telescoping leg.
I have a photo of a 21' I took when we were in Chilliwack last summer. Looks like the table actually has 2 legs. Does your 21' table have 2 telescoping legs, or did you put only 1 leg in? Is it stable enough? ((I'm guessing it is because so many people have it, but again, do you only have 1 leg installed?)
Last question (for now) - is the telescoping table leg removable, like the "standard" legs are, and if so, about how high above the floor does the mount for the leg stand? (I'm guessing it's not flush with the floor).
Thank you for your time -
The stock table mounting system from Escape uses 2 non telescoping legs on the large table. In my case, I put a Springfield air assisted single table leg. This is adjustable from bed level to normal table level or anywhere in between. Quite stable, and you can still keep the Escape provided slider so the table can move side to side. It is not removable, either the table from the post or the post from the floor.

I have to say if I was doing it over, I'd take a serious look at the Lagun mount. The Lagun mount swivels, making it much easier to get into the under seat storage areas, can be moved further out of the way for lounging than the Springfield, and the table & most of the support is removable.

Currently, Escape does not install the Laugn mount, but does install the Springfield. You purchase it, bring it to your orientation, and they install it then.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:53 PM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
I have to say if I was doing it over, I'd take a serious look at the Lagun mount. The Lagun mount swivels, making it much easier to get into the under seat storage areas, can be moved further out of the way for lounging than the Springfield, and the table & most of the support is removable.
There's an echo in here Jon.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:04 PM   #39

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Deal killer with the Springfield for us was the inability to remove it. I second the Lagun which seems to provide every advantage with the ability to remove it as well. Even got me back interested in looking at it when the Lagun showed up on the forum.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:33 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Deal killer with the Springfield for us was the inability to remove it. I second the Lagun which seems to provide every advantage with the ability to remove it as well. Even got me back interested in looking at it when the Lagun showed up on the forum.
I hope someone shows up with one at the Quartzsite rally. While I'm pretty sure I'm hooked, I'd like to see an install...