King Antenna Reviews? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-31-2016, 01:44 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
King Antenna Reviews?

Putting the final touches on our build sheet and was wondering how well this TV antenna works. Any feedback would be welcome; thanks in advance.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 02:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
There have been several threads about the King in the past year. Aside from one recent unhappy person who seems to have received a dud, everyone else seems quite happy with them. I tested mine at my difficult home location and was impressed with the results. I'm just in the finishing steps of fabricating a mast to mount it on the rear bumper similar to the one Mike Lewis did recently.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 03:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Putting the final touches on our build sheet and was wondering how well this TV antenna works. Any feedback would be welcome; thanks in advance.
Hi: Zardoz... We have the King Jack antenna and it is so much better than the Winegard we had. Testing it near Tampa Florida got over 30 signals. Got the same reception in the Ocala Nat. Forest. Signals come in on the front and back of it so we could draw from Orlando and Ocala at the same time. Takes a little getting used to after cable TV but find it great watching specially the Weather Network. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:10 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I have two King Jack antennas-- one on my trailer and one on my house. Both work very well; I'm quite satisfied. I haven't even managed to cook either one of them by using adjacent ham radio antennas. So far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I'm just in the finishing steps of fabricating a mast to mount it on the rear bumper similar to the one Mike Lewis did recently.

Ron
Damn, I'm a genius!
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Didn't know what to do for an antenna, but following the advice on this forum got the King Jack. It was a very good choice. Go for it. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:42 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 21 'Toto'
One thing to be aware of: per Reace, a retrofit install of the King antenna isn't possible, because of fiberglassed-in wood blocking that's needed to mount it. If you don't buy the option in your original build, ETI won't be able to install one later.

Guess how I know? Yeah, I'm installing one on a mast this winter. So... if you think you might want an antenna, I'd say... go for it. We would have if we had understood things fully (it would also have helped to have had, at the time, some sort of money tree in our back yard).
Old 01-01-2017, 01:06 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by drpaddle View Post
One thing to be aware of: per Reace, a retrofit install of the King antenna isn't possible, because of fiberglassed-in wood blocking that's needed to mount it.
I think it would still be possible to do a suitable backing for a roof antenna at a later date. Similar to the blocking I installed to add a ceiling light over the dinette. Before ETI realized that a light over the dinette was a good idea.

Still, a mast mounted antenna does have some advantages, more height and, probably in a few years time when they're obsolete, one less hole in the roof.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
11-11-2014 4-26-08 PM2_resize.jpg   11-11-2014 4-26-08 PM3_resize.JPG   12-11-2014 3-04-20 PM1_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 01:30 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
Quote:
Originally Posted by drpaddle View Post
One thing to be aware of: per Reace, a retrofit install of the King antenna isn't possible, because of fiberglassed-in wood blocking that's needed to mount it. If you don't buy the option in your original build, ETI won't be able to install one later.

Guess how I know? Yeah, I'm installing one on a mast this winter. So... if you think you might want an antenna, I'd say... go for it. We would have if we had understood things fully (it would also have helped to have had, at the time, some sort of money tree in our back yard).
Doug:

I am also considering a mast for an antenna. What mast are you using and how will you mount it on the trailer? Thanks.
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 02:04 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 21 'Toto'
Quote:
Originally Posted by casejh View Post
Doug:

I am also considering a mast for an antenna. What mast are you using and how will you mount it on the trailer? Thanks.
I am going to copy another forum member (my preferred approach on most mods). Mike Lewis has installed the Comet CP-45 (available here) on his rear bumper with the help of a welding shop. You can search for info in two threads: "Nerdstick Revisited" and "Nerdstick Relocated." Mike has provided some pictures that show the mount.

And, re. post-purchase, retrofit roof mounting: sure, I could do it, if I worked up the courage, acquired skills, etc. What I was trying to say is that ETI will not do it. And, yes, maybe that extra height with the mast will help me pull in a Seahawks game, or something, someday.

Welding shop, I gotta find a welding shop. Must be one around here somewhere.
Old 01-01-2017, 02:10 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I don't want an antenna mounted to the roof of the trailer, and will be doing the mast route. Haven't decided on what antenna yet, but it sounds like the King is a good option.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:01 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
drpaddle
Thanks for the info regarding ETI not doing an aftermarket install of the antenna, since there needs to be reinforcement.We went up and down on the buildsheet and I was going to order the King Jack but somehow it was lost in the shuffle.
Will be going with that mast Comet NCG. Our grandson is a welder.No rush though with this winter that does not want to end.Unusual for Vancouver.
Maybe wait until Osoyoos to see how it works for other members.
Good info thanks again.
Allan
Allan Bornestig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:23 AM   #12

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
King antenna

We are the lucky ones that got the DUD .The Antenna worked the first few days and by the time we got it home no go ? We had a King rep come out to the house and the wing part is no good and maybe the spliter and cable going back in to swivel blue light job . We used a winguard razor type antenna on our Lil Snoozy and it worked Great .I think if doing the build sheet again , I would get the cable ready option for sure but then use a Dish network and pay as you use it . Jim
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:35 AM   #13

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
king jack

We finally got the king jack to work.It needed a new wing ,splitter and the cable coming in antenna needed a new end piece .King picked up everything but the $125 service call .So we will see what Reece wants to do about it ?
BTW bringing it in to Camper world or the other RV place they wanted over $100 just to find out what was wrong then call King and get parts then put it in at $140an hour .So the service call was not out of line . Jim
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote