Kitchen Side Wheel Well Cabinet Completion - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2015, 12:11 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 26/May/2014 Sold New trailer 2016 Bigfoot 25B21FB
Kitchen Side Wheel Well Cabinet Completion

I know this project has taken me a long time to complete but a least it final done. Hope you enjoy the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0540.JPG   IMG_0539.JPG   Trailer.jpg   Trailer 3.jpg  

Mark & Karen Van Tiem 2014 Escape 19 sold, Now a Bigfoot 25B21FB Travel Trailer
markvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:25 PM   #2

Some Pictures of the Project under Construction

Extra Pictures
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0549.JPG   FullSizeRender (2).jpg   FullSizeRender (1).jpg  

Old 03-13-2015, 01:19 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Very nice job! Should be a useful area.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Excellent work Mark and thanks for going ahead with the extra doors and opened up spaces in the first place. I'd been thinking of doing something like that but seeing yours pushed me to do my own version. Really like the new door under the furnace area. It now holds all my tools that used to be stored under a dinette seat. Much more convenient to access in the new cabinet area.

Any more projects planned?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 05:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Any more projects planned?

Ron
Hi Ron,
First thanks Ron & Floating Cloud for your kind words on this project. This part of the project has been one of those projects that I am really happy it's done. I don't even want began to tell you how much time I have in it.
But that being said yes I have more projects then you can shake a stick at. I will never be able to keep with you Escape pros project list. My next two top projects are one to add some kind of Texas fan kit system to my Refrigerator and I have been proto typeing a ventilation system to circulate air between the bed mattress and outside wall. I play with this project late last fall and it really seem to help in keeping that mattress area dry. I will post more picture as the fan project proprogresses .
Mark

Old 03-13-2015, 07:01 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Mark,
Did you install some sort of metal sheathing over the wheel wells? As far as the bed, I was going to drill several vent around the perimeter in my 19 to allow air from below, but the hyper mesh seemed to have helped so I shelved the idea. I had the mattress cut smaller in the 21' for that reason, to allow air to circulate and it works.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:08 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by markvt View Post
Hi Ron,
I am really happy it's done. I don't even want began to tell you how much time I have in it.

Mark
I'd be the last person not to understand how much time goes into that type of project. In fact if I knew (and maybe I do) how much time a project was going to take I wouldn't even do it. Just joking because enjoying solving all the problems that crop up is part of the experience.

I have the Texas fan but ever since I saw that Dometic actually has an extension to the exterior for the heater exhaust I've been thinking of fabricating one. Having hot air exhaust right in the area that you're trying to disperse heat just doesn't make sense to me. Getting rid of heat sooner than later seems to make sense.

At any rate your idea to exploit all that wasted central space for usable storage was brilliant.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:49 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Great project Mark, it has me doing some planning now too, though I don't have the moulded V between the wheels.

Why did you feel the need for the tin? Wouldn't the fiberglass itself be good enough to put the insulation on?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Mark,
Did you install some sort of metal sheathing over the wheel wells? As far as the bed, I was going to drill several vent around the perimeter in my 19 to allow air from below, but the hyper mesh seemed to have helped so I shelved the idea. I had the mattress cut smaller in the 21' for that reason, to allow air to circulate and it works.
Hi Jim,
Yes I did install the galvanized sheet metal over top of the wheel well insulation. I did this for two reason one was it gave me something firm to glue down the carpet to ,next because the wheel wells them self are not square you end up with about 1 1/4" gap on the top of the front plywood board plus the sheet metal ties the front and back plywood pieces together.

Jim I also got the mattress cut from Escape and have the hyper mesh system but I found that last fall in high cold humidity day I am still getting some moisture build up on that outside wall. So I am still looking for that extra ounce precaution when it comes to mold forming.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

I have the Texas fan but ever since I saw that Dometic actually has an extension to the exterior for the heater exhaust
Ron I agree hundred percent we absolutely need that extension on the boiler stack. That will also be done on my trailer when I install the Texas fans.

Mark

Old 03-13-2015, 08:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Great project Mark, it has me doing some planning now too, though I don't have the moulded V between the wheels.

Why did you feel the need for the tin? Wouldn't the fiberglass itself be good enough to put the insulation on?
Hi Jim ,
Yes I do think that you will need the sheet metal on the wheel wells. installing the sheet metal was really very easy to do once I came up with a game plan. I am adding another picture help you see how I installed the sheet metal in two steps. The back plywood board has a strip of sheet metal nailed to it. The second piece of sheet metal was nailed to the front plywood board and than pop rivet to the back plywood piece wood.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Old 03-13-2015, 11:38 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 19'
Hi Mark

Very nice modification to that area. I am thinking of using the 'V' area between wheel humps for canned goods storage. Using plexiglass strips and writing the can contents on the lids so it can be read easily. They couldn't roll around!!

RV Fridge Fan | Cooling Unit Fan | 12V RV Fridge Fan | RV Fridge Defrost

Check out this frig fan controller and temp monitor. 'Paul' the owner has it figured out. He recommends a fan for sale on his site and it works sweet. Send an email to him and he'll call you back.

I installed the set on ours but haven't tested it in hot weather yet. I did make a heat chamber to try and cook the boiler ... His unit protected it as advertised. Being able to monitor the temps etc. helps you optimize and troublshoot the cooling unit.

Full disclosure ... My cooling unit has been rebuilt too but I am awaiting a part to finish testing.

Mel
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 05:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
Hi Mark

Very nice modification to that area. I am thinking of using the 'V' area between wheel humps for canned goods storage. Using plexiglass strips and writing the can contents on the lids so it can be read easily. They couldn't roll around!!

RV Fridge Fan | Cooling Unit Fan | 12V RV Fridge Fan | RV Fridge Defrost

Check out this frig fan controller and temp monitor. 'Paul' the owner has it figured out. He recommends a fan for sale on his site and it works sweet. Send an email to him and he'll call you back.

I installed the set on ours but haven't tested it in hot weather yet. I did make a heat chamber to try and cook the boiler ... His unit protected it as advertised. Being able to monitor the temps etc. helps you optimize and troublshoot the cooling unit.

Full disclosure ... My cooling unit has been rebuilt too but I am awaiting a part to finish testing.

Mel
Hi Mel,
Thanks for the link I just started to digest the information that's on the website. I am still not sure what direction I want to go with.
Mark