Ladybug goes solar! - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2013, 12:10 AM   #21

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvansnell View Post
baglo

I already know that even when it is sunny out our trailer pad at home is in shade, so this test will not be necessary.
Brian, you may want to keep your battery properly charged with a "tender" if your solar won't work while it's parked at home.
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:41 AM   #22

Trailer: 2010 Escape 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
Brian, you may want to keep your battery properly charged with a "tender" if your solar won't work while it's parked at home.
Steve:

We have a 30 amp power outlet next to our trailer pad and we normally leave the trailer hooked up year round, so it is being maintained by the converter in the trailer. So far this has worked well.

2003 Subaru Forester
2012 Toyota Highlander V6
2010 Escape 13 "Ladybug" Feb 2010
bvansnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:48 AM   #23

I have just turned to BC from a two month stay in Arizona. All of it as boondocking. I used a 40 watt portable solar panel which kept my single 12 volt battery topped up most of the time. I also had a Honda 1000 generator which I would use for about an hour once a week to really top off the battery. I chained the panel to the bumper when in use, but I kept the generator inside the trailer when not in use. I did not experience any shortage of power at all. The panel is stored in a custom-mad box under the bed when travellng. The Honda has a vapour-lock which prevents any fumes escaping.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:30 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I have solar as well and like the freedom it gives you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvansnell View Post
You are right about freedom!
To say that solar gives you freedom is very misleading. I don't have solar, and have lots of freedom too. In 4 years of owning my 19, I have been hooked to the grid maybe 10% of the time. Unless you are off grid for more than a week at a time, the dual 6V batteries alone will be adequate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe View Post
I have just turned to BC from a two month stay in Arizona. All of it as boondocking. I used a 40 watt portable solar panel which kept my single 12 volt battery topped up most of the time.
If I do any extended trips beyond a week off the grid, I think this would be the ideal way to go. I did a calculation a ways back (not 100% sure of my calculations though) and and given my power usage, a 40W panel operating 50% for 10-12 hours should easily keep my batteries topped up.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:48 PM   #25

OK, let me rephrase that for you Jim, "Solar gives me a lot of freedom to use battery power in the evening and not worry about having enough power the following day." Even when I use a lot the batteries will be recharged the next day, even if overcast. You are a minimalist so your needs are very different than mine.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:02 PM   #26

No need for the condescending tone.....sheesh. My trailering style seems to be getting looked down upon by some just because I haven't upgraded to the best of everything available, whereas I feel I am fortunate with what I have.

I am far from a minimalist. After all, I have upgraded to the luxury status of owning an Escape trailer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-15-2013, 09:32 PM   #27

Jim, OK I stand corrected....since you also have an Escape! BTW, no one is looking down on your trailering style, in fact I wish I did without half of the stuff I bring with me camping. I just happen to be an engineer and can't stop engineering everything I own. That doesn't mean mine is better...it is just me and I love re-engineering stuff. And yes, we both share the luxury of having an Escape. That we definitely have in common...and our love of the outdoors!...
Old 04-16-2013, 12:12 AM   #28

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Hi all,
Our first trip in our new trailer was spent in Moab, UT two weeks ago, where we camped without any services for 8 days. We used the lights, furnace throughout the night, water pump, a bit of inverter....and our solar panels had our batteries back up to 100% by 9am every morning. We don't have dual 6 volts, just one 12 volt battery. There was sunshine but also a fair amount of clouds and overcast.

It was absolutely fantastic not to have to worry at all about battery status!
Lisa
FamilyFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:44 AM   #29

Quote:
Jim, OK I stand corrected....since you also have an Escape! BTW, no one is looking down on your trailering style, in fact I wish I did without half of the stuff I bring with me camping. I just happen to be an engineer and can't stop engineering everything I own. That doesn't mean mine is better...it is just me and I love re-engineering stuff. And yes, we both share the luxury of having an Escape. That we definitely have in common...and our love of the outdoors!...
It's all good. It just seems that lately I seem to hear a lot of folks saying that in order to boondock you need to have solar, and that the batteries need to be back up to 100% by nightfall or there seems to be reason to worry.

As far as over analyzing and over building things in our trailers, I do that too all the time. I do it for me though, and others may, or may not, not have the same needs or desires. I am good with that....just so long as they are good with my choices.

In years past with my tent trailer, or large stick built, both were not all that great insulation wise, or well sealed to the outside, and there were times that I was lucky to get through a couple really cold nights (temps below freezing) without worry that the single 12V battery would hold out. Now, with the reasonably well insulated and sealed Escape, combined with two 6V batteries, that worry is not there anymore. Some day I would like to test just how long one could go without recharging, as the longest I have gone in cold weather is 5 days.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:10 AM   #30

Trailer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyFun View Post
.... our solar panels had our batteries back up to 100% by 9am every morning....
Lisa,
Wow thats really good for using the furnace and all. Do you have the Escape factory panel on the roof or some aftermarket ones you bought yourself? If you were at moab Sand Flats Road campground, it's so pretty out there, I love it.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
It's all good. It just seems that lately I seem to hear a lot of folks saying that in order to boondock you need to have solar, and that the batteries need to be back up to 100% by nightfall or there seems to be reason to worry.

As far as over analyzing and over building things in our trailers, I do that too all the time. I do it for me though, and others may, or may not, not have the same needs or desires. I am good with that....just so long as they are good with my choices.

In years past with my tent trailer, or large stick built, both were not all that great insulation wise, or well sealed to the outside, and there were times that I was lucky to get through a couple really cold nights (temps below freezing) without worry that the single 12V battery would hold out. Now, with the reasonably well insulated and sealed Escape, combined with two 6V batteries, that worry is not there anymore. Some day I would like to test just how long one could go without recharging, as the longest I have gone in cold weather is 5 days.
Jim, Some good observations here. I also come from a somewhat minimalist background - canoe camping & tent camping with "just enough to get by." If I can't fit it all in my CR-Z for the weekend, I probably don't need it. I'm much further south so am more concerned about staying cool than warm. Do you have thermal windows & spray foam insulation in your 19? I'm looking forward to plenty of camping in National Forests (where I can take advantage of the 1/2 price America the Beautiful Pass) My concern is "too much shade" to recharge the solar. Maybe the 2-6volt batteries would be the better route to go?
kstock11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I also enjoy camping in under developed campgrounds in State & National Parks & Forests. I did order a pair of 6V batteries & the 95 Watt solar package as well as LED lighting.

Even with a fair amount of daily draw (I usually make a pot of coffee each morning with a 600 watt drip coffee maker & run a cell phone amplifier & a power hungry laptop), I generally manage to get the batteries back to full by noon. I do try for sites with partial sun if at all possible. The only time the solar package could not keep up was in Apgar Campground at Glacier - very heavy shade with no direct sunlight anytime, and after 4 days I was down to 80%.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:08 PM   #33

[QUOTE=kstock11;25685Do you have thermal windows & spray foam insulation in your 19??[/QUOTE]
I do have the thermal windows, and the doubled up insulation, but they did not offer the spray foam underneath. I could do that myself at any point. I will be scraping out the vinyl flooring and putting down two layers of 3/16" cork on the floor. That should insulate a bit, and most definitely keep the tootsies nice and warm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
The only time the solar package could not keep up was in Apgar Campground at Glacier - very heavy shade with no direct sunlight anytime, and after 4 days I was down to 80%.
Still, that is a decent amount of reserve energy for that length of time, with the draw you have. I am hoping the 40W Coleman portable panel (with controller, leads and connectors) I just picked up for $100 (after having a raincheck for 3 months), will keep me topped up. I likely will have a bit less draw than you.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:27 PM   #34

Trailer: 2009 17B - Escape Pod
I think a the statement that solar gives you freedom is 100 percent true. It is also true that not everyone needs it. If you want the freedom to go where you want, how you want, and for as long as you want, solar is is the ticket. Without solar, you simply have limitations (or a generator, if you are so inclined).
ddevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:22 AM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I think that the ultimate reward will be when I can camp in the National Parks and stay in the "generator free" zone. Thanks for all the feedback!
kstock11 is offline   Reply With Quote