Lagun verses Springfield table mounts - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2018, 07:52 AM   #1

Trailer: 2022 Escape 5.0 TA currently in "The Build Queue"
Lagun verses Springfield table mounts

I have read some posts about table mounting systems that owners have opted for in their trailer builds and I'm torn between the Lagun and Springfield brands.

I like the idea of a single support to allow more leg room at the dinette, but can't decide which would be the most reliable option. The floor mounted Springfield seems to be a popular choice, but I also like the style of the Lagun wall mounted system.

I have some concerns about the stability/durability of both tables. When my husband and I viewed a 2017 5.0 TA, the referral owner had installed a Springfield pedestal which, despite its appeal, seemed to be a bit wobbly.

I wonder if the Lagun might be a better option?
Is the back wall (if we choose the regular dinette) or bench of the u-shaped dinette sufficient to adequately support the Lagun system?
I wonder if the weight & size of the table for the standard dinette would altogether eliminate it as an option?
I also wonder if its vertical support post would somehow interfere with the rear seating of a u-shaped dinette?

I've seen quite a few posts about owners' experiences with the Springfield pedestal but would like to know if anyone has some experience with, or can comment about, the Lagun?
LaurieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:29 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I've had both the Springfield & Lagun mounts, although with different tables.

The Springfield was used with the stock table, and stock table slide. My problem with it was the table got in the way of getting into the storage area under the rear seats. Since the batteries are under the seat, that was annoying. In addition, even with the table slid to the far side, standing up to get into the overhead cabinet from seated (and twisting 180°) was tight.

Installing the Lagun table pretty much requires the U-Shaped dinette although some have suggested mounting the support on one of the side seats. In any case, there is a fair amount of modification to the rear bench for it to work. Most have added a piece of 1/8" angle iron to stiffen the front of the cabinet & some kind of additional support for the mounting bracket used with the Lagun. There is a thread with photos of some of the modifications here at the forum, and I have some photos on my Escape 21 Modifications page.

They are a bit difficult for me to compare since I used a different table with the Lagun, one that was quite a bit heavier. In any case, the Springfield was a bit more solid, but the folding of the Teak table more than makes up for the slight dip it takes if you put weight on the outsides. I far prefer the Lagun with the Teak folding table. It opens up the space, and can be completely removed when one wants it out of the way. The post does keep one from sliding across the rear seat, but I have not found that a problem.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:31 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieB View Post
When my husband and I viewed a 2017 5.0 TA, the referral owner had installed a Springfield pedestal which, despite its appeal, seemed to be a bit wobbly.
I can assure you the wobble had nothing to do with the Springield pedestal. They're rock solid. It had to do most likely with the factory table base and plastic slides. There's a fair amount of slop there, regardless of the pedestal type underneath it.

If it helps, we have the Springfield, but we also recently picked up a Lagun to replace it. It wasn't so much about the wobble but the floor. Having the ability to swing the table completely out of the way or simply remove the mount is huge. The Springfield is fixed.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:53 AM   #4

Smile

Thank you Vermilye and rbryan4.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I can assure you the wobble had nothing to do with the Springield pedestal. They're rock solid. It had to do most likely with the factory table base and plastic slides. There's a fair amount of slop there, regardless of the pedestal type underneath it.

If it helps, we have the Springfield, but we also recently picked up a Lagun to replace it. It wasn't so much about the wobble but the floor. Having the ability to swing the table completely out of the way or simply remove the mount is huge. The Springfield is fixed.
I agree. The Springfield is rock solid (as long as you keep the up & down slide clamps tight), but the slide that Escape provides with the standard table is a bit loose.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:16 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Like many things with our smaller trailers there seems to be no perfect solution, as there always seems to be a compromise.

I have the Springfield pedestal along with a Dicor 4-way slide. This setup does give me a broad range of movement for the table, and we are able to move it well out of the way. While most of the time we like having the full sized table, as for the two of us there is lots of room to sit and eat or do stuff, and still have a place for "stuff" out of the way, at times I would like to be able to make the table smaller. I had always wanted to build a table like Jon's, but it won't work with the Dicor slide, and I love the flexibility it provides. I might make something similar one day. The pedestal itself does not bother me, but there have been a few times full removal would be nice. I have actually taken it right out once to allow me to do some major work, installing a solar controller, inverter, transfer switch and all the cabling required. I have since realized it is not too bad to work with the table down in the bed position, and laying on it to access inside the benches, other than if for some reason you need to access the front of the benches, but that's not likely.

I have looked long and hard at the Lagun mount, even before they became popular here, but was not convinced they were going to be solid enough, even with providing a solid base for them. After seeing a couple in person now, I do believe they are more solid than I had expected, but still feel there is a fair bit of flex to them. I do look forward to seeing a couple more installs of the Lagun in the future.

Another thought I am entertaining is to replace the Springfield with a very solid removable pedestal. I have done some researching of these buy have not come up with one I am 100% confident that on pedestal only will be solid enough. The ones that surface mount and turn to lock in are what I favour, but I can find nothing bigger that about 2 1/2" which I feel is not going to be stiff and solid enough. There are some more solid ones that mount through the floor. This is not that favourable for a few reasons. Though making a hole does not bother me, if I even want to fill it in it would be a pain. It also would have to be no more than 3" through the floor or risk hitting the water tank. With something like this I could either use the Dicor slide or manufacture one of my own that is a bit smaller so I could do a folding table top.

First though, I need to find the time to research further, let alone do the work. Maybe after I get through the list of 30 items or so that I already plan to do to the trailer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:49 AM   #7

Thanks for your insight Jim.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:24 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Lagun

I have had the Lagun table in my 5.0ta and I love it. I put plywood and metal "L" brackets inside the back cabinet to give it a solid mounting. The table top (I made the table, it is 21" by 35") is a tad flexible but not to the point where it is a problem (just no dancing on it). I personally love the leg/foot room and the ability to push it to the back of the dinette for easy overhead cabinet access. It also opens up the dinette area.
Attached Thumbnails
20180805_092015.jpg   20180805_092326.jpg  
CoolCampingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:42 AM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Lovely looking table, CoolCampingKid! Looks perfect!
We've ordered a Lagun mount from our local RV dealer, so we'll soon get to start our own installation and table option adventures
Escape2Yukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:54 AM   #10

Trailer: none
Nice table! Chess or checkers?
Old 08-06-2018, 06:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCampingKid View Post
I have had the Lagun table in my 5.0ta and I love it. I put plywood and metal "L" brackets inside the back cabinet to give it a solid mounting. The table top (I made the table, it is 21" by 35") is a tad flexible but not to the point where it is a problem (just no dancing on it). I personally love the leg/foot room and the ability to push it to the back of the dinette for easy overhead cabinet access. It also opens up the dinette area.
It does look great and, as a side bar, I love your upholstery choice.

I really like the idea of keeping the support out of the way for more foot room. I never even considered the ease of cabinet access with the Lagun; that is a benefit I know we'll love too! I'm not short, but I still have to stand on the bench seats of our current trailer to reach inside the cabinets above our dinette.

I have one question, based on an earlier comment: How has the Lagun's hardware affected the seating along the rear bench? Specifically, would two adults be able to comfortably sit to either side of the vertical support post?
Old 08-06-2018, 06:50 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieB View Post

I have one question, based on an earlier comment: How has the Lagun's hardware affected the seating along the rear bench? Specifically, would two adults be able to comfortably sit to either side of the vertical support post?
The back bench is narrow but it can be used. That is the standard ETI table I mounted to the Lagun.
Attached Thumbnails
BC5B058A-4B53-4C5E-8E53-FF1A5B05E08E.jpg  
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:50 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21; previously a 2012 Escape 19
We installed the Lagun table last winter in our new Escape 21. After three 2-week adventures, we are sold. We have the U-shaped dinette. The installation is not difficult but also not trivial. Installation without the U-shaped dinette would be considerably more work. My installation method is here:

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...hts-12137.html

I moved the center of the table pivot point about 2in forward allowing us to increase or decrease the space for back wall seating. The table top doubles as part of the bed support. I have a second spacer board to complete the bed.

The capability to completely remove the table (takes maybe 60 sec) and have nothing on the floor is simply awesome.