Latest Mods - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Latest Mods

Just finished a couple of projects. One was adding simple awnings for the rear and side windows. I used canvas, pvc pipe, suction cups and a product called awning track and awning rope from Sailrite. Lightweight and simple and for those needing more darkening, you can let them hang down over the windows. The other was a duplication of a previous post; a small catch all for little things. Thanks to the previous postings. I had some baltic birch so didn't spend the money on oak. I also had to devise a way to anchor mine since my cabinet top was not level. I used a filler board and put two T-nuts in the top of the cabinet and used set screws to push against the top cupboards. You can see there is more than 1/4 inch difference from right to left. Pictures below.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1692.jpg   IMG_1693.jpg   IMG_1694.jpg   IMG_1695.jpg   IMG_1696.jpg  

IMG_1697.jpg   IMG_1698.jpg   IMG_1701.jpg  
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
How did you attach the awning track to the trailer? Did you screw it into the fiberglass or into the window trim? Have a close-up photo?
Old 05-13-2013, 07:06 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
All good ideas, I like the awning, may try to make one for the slider window exposed to the rain. Is it waterproof, in that no water get's behind the track? Have to see how you installed it. Good idea on the off level shleps, a little piece of trip or matching caulk will eliminate the space.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #4

Update on awnings... I use Awning Track (Awning Track Flanged White 96") mounted to the fiberglass with 3M VHB tape. I did not screw anything into the trailer. I caulked around the pvc Awning Track after a few days to finish the look. I find that the VHB tape works well and held up on our previous trailer for more than 3 years. I used a 3 foot section over the side window and a 4 foot section on the back. I'm adding a 3 foot section over the slider as well. I sewed a piece of Awning Rope to regular awning canvas which is water resistant. I have used Sunbrella fabric on a previous awning. To use, you just slide the rope end of the awning into the track. (My previous pictures can be opened and zoomed and you can see how this works.) You then slide the bottom tube through the bottom loop of the awning and attach the elbows and short pieces of pvc with suction cups that have been mounted to end caps. (You must have good suction cups for this to work. I suggest Adams Manufacturing suction cups available at Amazon. You remove the hook, drill a hole in the cap slightly smaller than the bulb on the suction cup, insert it and epoxy it into place.) Then just suction the cups to the sides of the Escape. If you need to anchor them, you can use nylon cord and tie it off to the bumper. The awning for the left side can be placed on the right side over the slider window. Below are a couple of pictures of Awning Track and Rope. As I stated before, if you drop them in place at night, they block out any additional light. If you don't want total light blocking, these could be made with a mesh material as well. My sewing skills aren't great, so if I can do this, it is a task most can handle. Oh yes, the first time I did this I used standard 1/2 inch pvc for the bottom tube which bowed after a summer. This time I glued aluminum rod inside the long tube and it gives it weight and won't warp after time. One additional advantage of the Awning Track is that it does act somewhat like a gutter and forces the water out over the window. Any additional questions and you can contact me through the email link.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1703.jpg   IMG_1704.jpg  
Old 05-14-2013, 10:18 AM   #5

Dirty Electrical Cord

Tired of dirty electrical cord being shoved under your bench? My latest mod is a bag attached to the inside. I made a bag large enough to handle the full electrical cord. I formed the opening a little larger than the plastic receiver for the cord and then zip tied it in place inside under the bench. Now when I shove the cord inside it goes into a water resistant bag, doesn't get caught on anything when pulling it out and one last advantage, keeps out additional air flow. So far it works GREAT!
Old 05-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 15B (c)
Hi Tim, any chance of a couple of photographs of the bag please?

"It's quicker to go slow" &
"You're only young once, you're a helluva long time dead"
Dixhiccup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:50 PM   #7

Here they are. This is nothing special. I made it from a drop cloth that has rubberized material on one side. Both ends are 6 equilateral triangles leaving the centers of the triangles unsewn to fit over the cord inlet. I left a longer slit to accommodate the cord. The sides are about 10 inches square sewn to the front and back pieces. I decided I had to make a bag to have just enough material to go around the outlet but the bag had to be big enough to hold all of the cord. You could just try a regular bag, but you might end up with just too much material to zip tie. In one picture you can see the ends of the two zip ties holding it in place. I was just promoting the idea. I actually got it by looking at a new Aliner A-Frame at an RV show. They put a bag lining their outside compartment. Keeps dirt from under the bench and they just turn theirs inside out to clean it. So... I borrowed the idea and applied it to the electrical cord.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1707.jpg   IMG_1708.jpg  
Old 05-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 15B (c)
Thanks Tim, its a good idea. Cheers, Richard

"It's quicker to go slow" &
"You're only young once, you're a helluva long time dead"
Dixhiccup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #9

My July mods... installed carpet tiles made by FLOR (FLOR modular carpet tiles - Create unique, eco-friendly area rugs, runners & wall-to-wall designs). These are 19 inch square tiles with a synthetic backing that attach to each other with small adhesive tabs. Had some left over from the house project and added them to the 15. Much warmer under foot. If they get dirty, pull them up, clean them and put them back. Also created insulated/darkener window inserts. These are made from Reflectix and I added a white cloth to face out. Attached to the windows with Velcro strips in the corners. Pictures below.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1944.jpg   IMG_1945.jpg   IMG_1946.jpg   IMG_1947.jpg  
Old 08-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I like your power cord bag mod, excellent idea.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #11

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
My July modsback. Also created insulated/darkener window inserts. These are made from Reflectix and I added a white cloth to face out. Attached to the windows with Velcro strips in the corners. Pictures below.
Great look! Have you had your trailer in high heat yet? I was wondering if the Velcro tab adhesive will melt away on the window frames. I had that problem with a Scamp....the velcro would slide around as the adhesive softened in the heat...
Fran
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:22 PM   #12

Been in high heat but didn't have these shades yet. Time will tell. I will say that our outside shades made a big difference in the 111 degree heat. See the top of this thread.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #13

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
Been in high heat but didn't have these shades yet. Time will tell. I will say that our outside shades made a big difference in the 111 degree heat. See the top of this thread.
I bet they did! Those are a great idea and serve more than one purpose. Your mods have been ipressive I have just ordered samples from FLOR and will think about doing our 5.0 floor with them...what a cool idea!
Thanks,
Fran
PS - Hope your reflectix panels stay up - let us know when you have experienced some hot weather!
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Hurry up and patent the power cord bag! That's a really good idea with universal utility.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
re: "Update on awnings... I use Awning Track..."

Great mod! When I get my 19 this is one of the first things I will do.
Thanks for a brilliant idea.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:46 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 15A
A couple mods that I have made in my 15 Escape.I found that there was no place to hang up dish towels and hand towels so I made a couple towel arks that are mounted just inside the door to the left
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0546.jpg   IMG_0548.jpg   IMG_0547.jpg  
Old 08-12-2013, 04:48 PM   #17

Then to make better use of the sink cover made with the counter top material ,I made a solid wood cutting board to fit ,that I can cut vegies and cheese etc on.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0541.jpg  
Old 08-12-2013, 04:56 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Very nice! We sure have a lot of good woodworkers on this forum.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:58 PM   #19

Then the fold down table at the end of the counter that hangs out over the bed,I found hard on the toes at night so I made a couple oak blocks with slots in and mounted brackets on the table bottom that slide into the slots so it can be removed at night time.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0544.jpg   IMG_0545.jpg   IMG_0543.jpg  
Old 08-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape
What kind of finish did you use to protect the cutting board ? I cringe when I visualize cutting marks on it. Much too nice for its intended use !