Latex Mattress Topper - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2014, 12:27 PM   #31

Trailer: 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I found a single layer of the 3" gel foam mattress (Costco) a bit too hard also so installed a second layer that was left over from cutting it to size to fit my narrow bed in front. All is well now...
That is a good piece of info for me. I would like to try that ( just off the top of my head, I may have trouble storing 2 gel toppers under my seats ........ . But, I suppose they do come packaged in relatively tiny packages for their bulk....)

jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:42 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie beers View Post
Tough to describe a feeling. At home, the gel toppers feel completely luxurious. But the combo of the gel topper atop the dinette bed feels quite hard, especially over the "joints" where the cushions meet, and I wake up with a sore back.
This could be due to the fact that gel toppers are pretty much for comfort only, and don't really provide any support. Your mattress at home gave that support, and you just added comfort. The cushions in your trailer don't give you the good sleeping support due to the joints mostly, so a topper that would also give some support, like latex does, might be a better option for this situation.

Is it easy to tell I just learned some of this stuff in the last week myself?

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:53 PM   #33

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Tough to describe a feeling. At home, the gel toppers feel completely luxurious. But the combo of the gel topper atop the dinette bed feels quite hard, especially over the "joints" where the cushions meet, and I wake up with a sore back.

In my case, I actually use a queen sized gel topper in my 19' rear dinette area. If I lay close to the rear wall, where there is a single cushion the full width of the trailer, it is almost tolerably comfortable.

I LOVE the rear U-shaped dinette, and I'm glad I got it. Just need to do some experimenting around sleeping on it.
Good info, thanks. Firm is good for us.
We also did the rear U dinette, rear bench is 28" deep plus we have a 12" filler, which makes a 40" twin, the front will be made up into a permanent bed, so we can just take the rear topper etc and dump it on top of the front bed when not in use, trade off is we sleep apart. If we have to eat inside we will reverse everything.
Bcdonaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:58 PM   #34

Trailer: 19'
Latex, eh, Dr. Bennett......hhmmmm....
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:23 PM   #35

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Latex, eh, Dr. Bennett......hhmmmm....
LOL........I've only been studying mattresses for a week or so now, and have a bit more time to put in until I get my doctorate.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 02:06 PM   #36
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Just a thought as I work with plastics; if you have a source nearby I'm pretty sure getting a piece of 1/8th inch LDPE (Low Density Polyethylene) cut to lay over the cushions and under the topper would provide enough support to bridge the cushion gap. It's not rigid like masonite and rolls up to about a 6 inch diameter - easy for storage. Pretty cheap too, I buy 4x5 foot pieces for around $10. I'll have to try it out of curiosity when my 21 arrives.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:21 PM   #37

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcdonaher View Post
Good info, thanks. Firm is good for us.
We also did the rear U dinette, rear bench is 28" deep plus we have a 12" filler, which makes a 40" twin, the front will be made up into a permanent bed, so we can just take the rear topper etc and dump it on top of the front bed when not in use, trade off is we sleep apart. If we have to eat inside we will reverse everything.
Did ETI make the 12" filler? Sounds like you need some platform instead of a table plus a cushion as well?
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:03 PM   #38

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Yes, ETI made a 12" removable base and cushion, under the bench is a single lift up door to store them. We'll keep the supplied table in the jeep and use it as needed.

Bcdonaher is offline   Reply With Quote