Latex Mattress Topper - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2014, 05:16 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I'm having the firmest mattress made by Ducan Industries (the ETI vendor) fabricated to fit a 21 - which has one corner clipped off. Could not find another manufacturer who would do that. Cost is $355 USD after $150 deduction by ETI for not using their stock version, which we found too soft. Hopefully we can avoid having to add a topper as I have to build a platform to raise the head 4 inches. Planning on using a counterbalance of gas shocks to raise the inclined platform with mattress as one unit to access the storage compartment underneath. Fun mod in my future!
On Saturday, we saw some firm mattresses that had almost no give, kinda like a cozy board.

The one we got was called firm, but was nothing like that hard one, it actually had some give without any topper, just not a lot of sink, which is fine.

That price is similar to what we paid for our base mattress. Unfortunately the 2 1/2" latex topper (with nice cover) cost a bit more on top.

If for any reason that mattress doesn't suit, a topper would fix things up nice with that good base. How thick is the mattress you are getting?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:20 PM   #22
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Jim, finished height is 9-10 inches, about the same as standard ETI. I hope not to add a topper (which I have done before) as with a 4 inch elevation it's closer to the shelf above the bed on a 21

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:38 PM   #23

It sounds like they have increased the height of their mattresses, as mine is only 5". Unlike memory foam, latex actually provides support too, so if you thought you might want a 2-3" latex topper, you could have any foam shop slice a couple inches off the base unit..
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-08-2014, 05:59 PM   #24
Commercial Member

Jim, this is a custom mattress. The only thing involved through ETI is their drawing of the footprint so it fits in a 21. Again, the whole point is to avoid having to fool around with a topper. A topper would have cost less, but the base innerspring design was not to our liking - we actually laid on one and thought, nah........

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 07-08-2014, 06:16 PM   #25

Do the new mattresses from Escape have springs? I had assumed they were still foam.

Did you get to try out the combo you bought, Charlie?

The one advantage to me in the 19, by having the topper separate (and why we did not bond the layers). is that they can be flipped end for end, extending their life.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:31 PM   #26

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
The mattress I got from ETI did in fact have springs and scalloped corners on one side. It's not flippable for extended life. Springs, while very comfortable, make for a real pain to access the under bed HW tank or storage.

Until tractors1 mod!! ;-)
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:35 PM   #27
Commercial Member

If I'm spending 30K USD on a trailer I don't care if I have to replace the $350 USD mattress in 10 years. A 21 has a clipped corner, if I was that particular I would have the opposite corner clipped so I could rotate it 180 degrees. But I don't.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 07-09-2014, 10:38 AM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie beers View Post
I've got 2 Novaform blue gel toppers (for 2 beds), and LOVE them! That's why I was completely positive it would be a good solution for the dinette bed....live and learn.
Timely post
We have the Costco 3" gel toppers on our beds at home as well, today I was heading down to buy another for the dinette berth in our 19 we are picking up in August. Curious to know why you didn't like them on top of the 4" Escape foam cushions?
Bcdonaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:03 AM   #29

Trailer: 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcdonaher View Post
Timely post
We have the Costco 3" gel toppers on our beds at home as well, today I was heading down to buy another for the dinette berth in our 19 we are picking up in August. Curious to know why you didn't like them on top of the 4" Escape foam cushions?
Tough to describe a feeling. At home, the gel toppers feel completely luxurious. But the combo of the gel topper atop the dinette bed feels quite hard, especially over the "joints" where the cushions meet, and I wake up with a sore back.

In my case, I actually use a queen sized gel topper in my 19' rear dinette area. If I lay close to the rear wall, where there is a single cushion the full width of the trailer, it is almost tolerably comfortable.

I LOVE the rear U-shaped dinette, and I'm glad I got it. Just need to do some experimenting around sleeping on it.
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:18 AM   #30

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I found a single layer of the 3" gel foam mattress (Costco) a bit too hard also so installed a second layer that was left over from cutting it to size to fit my narrow bed in front. All is well now...
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:27 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I found a single layer of the 3" gel foam mattress (Costco) a bit too hard also so installed a second layer that was left over from cutting it to size to fit my narrow bed in front. All is well now...
That is a good piece of info for me. I would like to try that ( just off the top of my head, I may have trouble storing 2 gel toppers under my seats ........ . But, I suppose they do come packaged in relatively tiny packages for their bulk....)
Old 07-09-2014, 11:42 AM   #32

Quote:
Tough to describe a feeling. At home, the gel toppers feel completely luxurious. But the combo of the gel topper atop the dinette bed feels quite hard, especially over the "joints" where the cushions meet, and I wake up with a sore back.
This could be due to the fact that gel toppers are pretty much for comfort only, and don't really provide any support. Your mattress at home gave that support, and you just added comfort. The cushions in your trailer don't give you the good sleeping support due to the joints mostly, so a topper that would also give some support, like latex does, might be a better option for this situation.

Is it easy to tell I just learned some of this stuff in the last week myself?
Old 07-09-2014, 11:53 AM   #33

Quote:

In my case, I actually use a queen sized gel topper in my 19' rear dinette area. If I lay close to the rear wall, where there is a single cushion the full width of the trailer, it is almost tolerably comfortable.

I LOVE the rear U-shaped dinette, and I'm glad I got it. Just need to do some experimenting around sleeping on it.
Good info, thanks. Firm is good for us.
We also did the rear U dinette, rear bench is 28" deep plus we have a 12" filler, which makes a 40" twin, the front will be made up into a permanent bed, so we can just take the rear topper etc and dump it on top of the front bed when not in use, trade off is we sleep apart. If we have to eat inside we will reverse everything.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:58 AM   #34

Latex, eh, Dr. Bennett......hhmmmm....
Old 07-09-2014, 12:23 PM   #35

Quote:
Latex, eh, Dr. Bennett......hhmmmm....
LOL........I've only been studying mattresses for a week or so now, and have a bit more time to put in until I get my doctorate.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:06 PM   #36
Commercial Member

Just a thought as I work with plastics; if you have a source nearby I'm pretty sure getting a piece of 1/8th inch LDPE (Low Density Polyethylene) cut to lay over the cushions and under the topper would provide enough support to bridge the cushion gap. It's not rigid like masonite and rolls up to about a 6 inch diameter - easy for storage. Pretty cheap too, I buy 4x5 foot pieces for around $10. I'll have to try it out of curiosity when my 21 arrives.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 07-09-2014, 04:21 PM   #37

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcdonaher View Post
Good info, thanks. Firm is good for us.
We also did the rear U dinette, rear bench is 28" deep plus we have a 12" filler, which makes a 40" twin, the front will be made up into a permanent bed, so we can just take the rear topper etc and dump it on top of the front bed when not in use, trade off is we sleep apart. If we have to eat inside we will reverse everything.
Did ETI make the 12" filler? Sounds like you need some platform instead of a table plus a cushion as well?
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:03 PM   #38

Yes, ETI made a 12" removable base and cushion, under the bench is a single lift up door to store them. We'll keep the supplied table in the jeep and use it as needed.