LED Light Upgrade - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2011, 08:16 PM   #1

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19
LED Light Upgrade

We ordered our Escape 19 with all LED lights and have been very pleased with them except that they are only adequate for reading, not ideal. Our older eyes require a bit of extra light so I decided to upgrade some of them. The ones that came with the trailer are Kaper II LED Single pancake lamps with a 15 LED bulb. When I checked around, I found that the identical lamps now come with a 25 LED bulb http://www.panther-rvproducts.com/Ka...p-L50-0042.htm . I also found that there is a Kaper II LED Double Pancake Lamp with two 25 LED bulbs available http://www.panther-rvproducts.com/Ka...p-L50-0047.htm .

I replaced the single 15 LED lamps at the end of the dinette table and at the head of the bed with double 25 LED lamps. I also replaced the 15 LED bulbs in the rest of the single lamps with 25 LED bulbs. As you can see in the first picture, the two bulbs are exactly the same length but the 25 has 2 extra rows of LEDs and are a direct replacement. The second picture shows the relative brightness of the 2 bulbs. Since the bulbs separately are almost the same cost as the lamps with the bulbs, I ordered 4 new double lamps and just swapped the bulbs out.

Attached Thumbnails
15-vs-25-bulbs-only-reduced.jpg   Double-25-vs-15-on-reduced.jpg  
Old 09-03-2011, 08:36 PM   #2

Re: LED Light Upgrade

That is useful information. We may need to change a few out, too, if they are not bright enough.
kalyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:13 PM   #3

LED technology has come lightyears in the past 18 months. If you are considering aftermarket bulbs, you might want to wait for spring to see if the technology finally makes a proper reading bulb. Perhaps Harold's solution is the magic bullet to a cost effective energy-efficient reading solution. At $19 and $39 respectively they are not cheap.
shanngord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:22 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150

Just a overly technical note for those thinking of changing to the LED fixtures sold by Panther RV Products (linked above). Kaper II (the supplier of their fixtures) has changed the product from a 25 lamp unit to an 18 lamp unit.

According to the specification sheets on the fixtures, the newer unit draws slightly more amps (.05 amps more) and produces the same LUX (a measurement of light output on a surface). I don't understand the Lumen figures - the older double 25 lists a Lumen output of 154 while the newer double 18 unit lists lumens at 342. I'm not sure why the LUX would be the same unless the newer fixture is less efficient.

I purchased one of the new double 18 fixtures & although I can't compare it to the older double 25 fixture, I did compare the stock 15 LED lamp that was supplied in my Escape 17 with a single 18 LED lamp in the same fixture. Since i've retired from my light measuring equipment, I can't give you Lumen or LUX figures, but I did compare the two using a photographic light meter. The output of the two was exactly the same.

Anyhow, for the "Geeky" among us I've added copies of the data sheets of the new lamps on my website.

18 SMD Single Pancake Lamp

36 SMD Double Pancake Lamp

The spec sheet older 50 lamp fixture is currently available at the Kaper II Website Model L50-0047 LED Double Pancake Lamp.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:41 PM   #5
Geo

I also have older eyes. And I find that I am in need of more and or better light for reading and board games at the kitchen table.
Question, would you recommend the double light for a replacement? Is the light good enough or hold off for awhile yet?
Thanks Geo
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:31 PM   #6

I'll let you know in a couple of days - I haven't installed them yet but hope to next week.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:19 PM   #7

I replaced the single LED fixture over the end of the large dinette where my head ends up when converted to a bed with the dual fixture described in my post above. I didn't really need it - there is enough light for most reading, but my older eyes were complaining about some very small print books. The replacement with the dual 18 cell lamps produces the same amount of light with one side on and, you guessed it, twice as much with both on. It is bright enough with both to do just about any fine work, and since the light is coming from two sources, produces less shadowing.

Now I have to decide what to do with the left over single 15 lamp fixture. Reace & Tammy put enough fixtures in the trailer that there really isn't anywhere that needs it.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:12 PM   #8

Hey,

Vermilye , The LED fixture you linked for the 18 single pancake is that the whole fixture or just the LED panel ?

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:45 AM   #9

The linked item is a fixture that includes the lamp. It is an old post - I'd check to see what else is available since the technology for LEDs changes so quickly.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:49 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Kaper II (the supplier of their fixtures) has changed the product from a 25 lamp unit to an 18 lamp unit.

According to the specification sheets on the fixtures, the newer unit draws slightly more amps (.05 amps more) and produces the same LUX (a measurement of light output on a surface). I don't understand the Lumen figures - the older double 25 lists a Lumen output of 154 while the newer double 18 unit lists lumens at 342. I'm not sure why the LUX would be the same unless the newer fixture is less efficient.
That link didn't work for me anymore; at the Kaper II site I found likely fixtures in the Interior Lighting category, and there are spec sheets for some of the products in the Technical Information area. I didn't see the double unit on this page.

"Lumens" are the measure of luminous flux - the total amount of light. The newer 18-LED unit apparently puts out much more light.

"Lux" are the measure of luminous intensity - the amount of light per unit of area. This is why a typical spec sheet shows a relationship between lux and distance. The newer 18-LED unit apparently spreads its greater light output more widely.

For instance, if the 25-LED unit put 154 lumens out and it spread evenly over four square metres at a set distance from the lamp, the luminance would be 154/4 lumens/m2, or 38.5 lux. If the 18-LED unit put 342 lumens out and spread it evenly over 8.88 square metres, the luminance would still be 342 lumnens/8.88 m2 or 38.5 lumens/m2, which is 38.5 lux.

The new lamp would make twice as big a table or counter just as bright.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:49 PM   #11

Thanks Vermilye and Brian B-P , I may just call ETI one of the lights did not have the LED board in it and was looking to get one for it to match the rest of the boards. The ones I have are 18 LED and have the tab to secure them etc. With a 2012 unit I am hoping they still have the same ones.

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote