Locks & Chains - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2019, 08:16 PM   #81

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Jim Bennett has stolen the punchline to more than one story.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:27 PM   #82

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
The chain is 6' long I wrap it around the axle twice and use one lock.
I want to go wheel to wheel but worried the chain would mar my shiny wheels. The sleeve on your chain eliminates that issue I think. Is six feet long enough to go wheel to wheel? Thanks jn
jnfrombigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:51 PM   #83
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwthere View Post
I have been camping for years (tent & RV). I have not heard of campsite thievery since my brother lost his tent and sleeping bags, in the 1950s, which he left unattended for several days, on an Orange county beach (akaTin-Can Beach) in Southern California. He made the mistake of asking his neighbor, down the way, to watch his campsite.
Have any of you heard or know of incidences of campsite thievery?
Kent
We have also camped all over CA for 30 years and never encountered any theft issues - thank goodness! However, we received this warning stapled to our paperwork indicating thievery in this beautiful campground by Aptos, CA (so we are extra vigilant here).
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6586.jpg  
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:42 PM   #84

Trailer: 2017 19'
Yeah I was also going to mention New Brighton Beach.. the two times I went there to visit my friend she told me there's been theft reported. We camped in a few state parks around the bay area and I believe most have warnings like this too. Must be a "Bay Area Special".

We never have any problem ourselves, yet.
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:48 PM   #85

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
State Parks and beach camping have been a problem for years . Early release of prisoners and drugs are in every city now . If you can afford another trailer and are comfortable , all the more power to you . We choose to not make it easy on them . And good luck with insurance making you whole again . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:07 AM   #86

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Some San Francisco bay areas have homeless/squatters that try to populate campgrounds, and support themselves by theft. Also, in the I-5 corridor north of Redding, around Lake Shasta and up to Castle Crags & Dunsmuir, there is a similar situation.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:09 AM   #87

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Regarding locks, we try to have more locks than the next camper, so the thieves will go where it's easier, and leave us be.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:20 AM   #88

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Some San Francisco bay areas have homeless/squatters that try to populate campgrounds, and support themselves by theft. Also, in the I-5 corridor north of Redding, around Lake Shasta and up to Castle Crags & Dunsmuir, there is a similar situation.
Don ,Carp has been a real problem for years ,the State doesn't want to spend the money . If you talk to the camp hosts they will tell you everything you need to know .. The Rincon has low life's walking through your camp especially at night . Too long to go through all . Even here with a police officer living on every street , having problems now . Not going to get political but life is changing and not for the good . Not even going to say California's is the worst because it changing in other states too . Don ,Redding is the meth capital . You don't even need to go North .
Well I'm tired and done . Everyone do what you are comfortable with . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:04 PM   #89

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
True enough, caution offers (imaginary) protection. Ever see one of these at work? They make them battery operated now.
Nah. These Aluminum Oxide wheels are 'safe' as long as a person uses common sense. I use them all the time.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:44 PM   #90

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
I want to go wheel to wheel but worried the chain would mar my shiny wheels. The sleeve on your chain eliminates that issue I think. Is six feet long enough to go wheel to wheel? Thanks jn
I emailed ETI today and asked for the measurement between the two closest wheel holes to figure out the length of chain needed and I was told the 21' trailer wheel hub center to hub center is 32". So 6 feet long chain should be long enough for 21' and I'm guessing it should be long enough for 5.0TA too since the axle center distance for 21' and 5.0TA should be similar if not the same but I don't have proof of it.
viator36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:54 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Don ,Carp has been a real problem for years ,the State doesn't want to spend the money . If you talk to the camp hosts they will tell you everything you need to know .. The Rincon has low life's walking through your camp especially at night . Too long to go through all . Even here with a police officer living on every street , having problems now . Not going to get political but life is changing and not for the good . Not even going to say California's is the worst because it changing in other states too . Don ,Redding is the meth capital . You don't even need to go North .
Well I'm tired and done . Everyone do what you are comfortable with . Pat
The problem exists all over my brother. Here in Lancaster, PA porch pirates are about ready to cut up the city into quadrants.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:24 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by viator36 View Post
I emailed ETI today and asked for the measurement between the two closest wheel holes to figure out the length of chain needed and I was told the 21' trailer wheel hub center to hub center is 32". So 6 feet long chain should be long enough for 21' and I'm guessing it should be long enough for 5.0TA too since the axle center distance for 21' and 5.0TA should be similar if not the same but I don't have proof of it.
Thanks for the info. I have been researching locks and found useful information from the YouTube sites of a couple of recreational lock pickers: "lockpickinglawyer" and "bosnianbill" jn
Old 03-12-2019, 04:19 PM   #93

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
Apparently lockpickinglawyer and bosnianbill are lock picking hobby buddies if the Bill mentioned in lockpickinglawyer videos is that Bill. In an earlier 2017 video lockpickinglawyer listed 10 biggest and baddest locks and he said the Abus 37RK/80 was beyond his ability to pick. Less than 5 months later he picked it. Luckily these guys are not what we buy Pewag square chain, Abloy or Stanley locks, Amplock, Trimax, Purpleline Nemesis, Proven Industries and all other brands products for.
viator36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:28 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by viator36 View Post
Apparently lockpickinglawyer and bosnianbill are lock picking hobby buddies if the Bill mentioned in lockpickinglawyer videos is that Bill. In an earlier 2017 video lockpickinglawyer listed 10 biggest and baddest locks and he said the Abus 37RK/80 was beyond his ability to pick. Less than 5 months later he picked it. Luckily these guys are not what we buy Pewag square chain, Abloy or Stanley locks, Amplock, Trimax, Purpleline Nemesis, Proven Industries and all other brands products for.
I wound up with an Abus Granit 37/80 with a Schlage chain. I already had a SOBO SPPO60 that I thought was beast of a lock until I got the Abus Granit. I think the SOBO will now be relegated to spare tire security.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:23 PM   #95

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i use a big yellow hitch lock on my 5th wheel its made for Anderson hitch and very heavy duty.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:25 PM   #96

i used to live in Santa Cruz !!! Are there good camp sites in that area ? I would love to camp at Santa Cruz or Aptos.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:32 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
i use a big yellow hitch lock on my 5th wheel its made for Anderson hitch and very heavy duty.
Is that the "Fort Knox"? The Fort Knox looked very substantial especially with a puck lock.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:40 PM   #98

yes that's what i have with a punk lock
Old 03-12-2019, 09:14 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
yes that's what i have with a punk lock
Just ordered the Fort Knox and found a puck lock on ebay that has a Cobra body with an Abloy cylinder. I was worried about securing the Andersen hitch receiver because it's only fastened with two bolts so anybody with a crescent wrench could steal the thing. jn
Old 03-13-2019, 08:07 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
Just ordered the Fort Knox and found a puck lock on ebay that has a Cobra body with an Abloy cylinder. I was worried about securing the Andersen hitch receiver because it's only fastened with two bolts so anybody with a crescent wrench could steal the thing. jn
Could you provide a link? Thanks.