Looking for a new surge protector - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-05-2019, 04:38 PM   #41

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
I may just go ahead and order the hardwire version. But, I imagine that the reason for the bypass would be because of the internal components failing, and still allowing you to use the unit in surge protection mode, rather than ignoring the codes indicating faulty wiring. What do you think?

Attachment 36159

Or if you use an inverter generator and do not use a plug to tie the neutral and ground together.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 04:49 PM   #42

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Looking for a new surge protector

Easy to make a neutral bonding plug, but you can buy them too eg https://www.microair.net/products/ge...12272654155860
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0449.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	36163

Either way will allow you to leave your EMS on and fully functional. I mean, you probably don’t need it (the EMS)...but if you ever do, then a bonding plug is a super cheap part compared to anything else getting fried in your trailer. Even if your generator is “clean”, what if you turn off the EMS, then forget to turn it back on, then that happens to be the one time you plug into a wonky shore connection?
Old 01-05-2019, 04:51 PM   #43

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
My EMS is permanently set to bypass . So far it has functioned well in that mode of operation.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 04:55 PM   #44

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Looking for a new surge protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
My EMS is permanently set to bypass . So far it has functioned well in that mode of operation.

Likewise, I pay for homeowners insurance, but it covers derelict land down by the river, not where I live. So far, no claims necessary for my house, so all is well.

Too sarcastic?
Old 01-05-2019, 06:26 PM   #45

Trailer: ?
An EMS unit also checks the incoming voltage from the source. Shore power or generator.

A voltage that is either too high or too low can harm electrical/electronic equipment. A faulty voltage regulator in a generator can cause such an event.

A $5 , do it yourself, part can prevent that.
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:25 PM   #46

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
An EMS unit also checks the incoming voltage from the source. Shore power or generator.

A voltage that is either too high or too low can harm electrical/electronic equipment. A faulty voltage regulator in a generator can cause such an event.

A $5 , do it yourself, part can prevent that.
Another concern is the generator running out of gas under load. I assume the EMS will catch the low voltage and shut down the power.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:07 PM   #47

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C on order. Will arrive Monday! Thanks everyone for all your input.

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:53 AM   #48

Quote:
Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C on order. Will arrive Monday! Thanks everyone for all your input.

Fred M.
Great choice Fred.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:55 AM   #49

Quote:
Hi Dave,

Well, I was about to pull the trigger on the Progressive Industries portable EMS unit until I saw your comment about the HW30C maintaining the surge suppression function active even though you are in bypass mode. I really like that!

So, gonna research this just a bit longer.

Fred M.
Hi Fred: Yes, this is a feature that I didn’t even realize it had until I read the manual. You won’t be dissappointed in this unit. It is always there doing it’s job. As was also mentioned it is convenient to read amps on the remote display inside the trailer. This is especially helpful for power management if you happen to ever be on a 15 or 20 amp circuit. For example, if you ever are visiting someone’s house and they let you plug in or are in an RV overflow area that may not have 30A circuits.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:57 AM   #50

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:

Fred M.
Here's a pic of the HW30C that Escape installed in my 21. Since you have the same power cable as I do, it might serve as a go by. Escape screwed a plywood block to the floor and then attached the HW30C to the plywood.

The remote monitor is mounted down low on the right side of the dinette area. If I had a chance for a do-over, I would mount it up above the fridge next to the tank monitor.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170821_150612.jpg   IMG_20170214_112558.jpg  
Old 01-06-2019, 09:42 AM   #51

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
The remote monitor is mounted down low on the right side of the dinette area. If I had a chance for a do-over, I would mount it up above the fridge next to the tank monitor.
I was just thinking the other day when I brought my trailer home to prep for our trip south in a few days when I read it after plugging in, that why the heck did I not just put it up there when I had the fridge out. Still might do it someday, though not really a pressing thing.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:45 AM   #52

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I was just thinking the other day when I brought my trailer home to prep for our trip south in a few days when I read it after plugging in, that why the heck did I not just put it up there when I had the fridge out. Still might do it someday, though not really a pressing thing.
While I'd rather have the remote switch for the inverter up where it is easy to push, I prefer the remote for the EMS down by the floor. The flashing red digits would be annoying up where they were more visible, and I only check the readout when first hooking up or want to check how much an appliance is drawing.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:39 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
While I'd rather have the remote switch for the inverter up where it is easy to push, I prefer the remote for the EMS down by the floor. The flashing red digits would be annoying up where they were more visible, and I only check the readout when first hooking up or want to check how much an appliance is drawing.
Same here.
On my last RV I mounted the remote right next to the entry door. That way when I hooked up, I didn’t even have to step inside to see the hoped for E=0.

Would there be a more visible location on some floor plans?
Ed
Old 01-06-2019, 11:44 AM   #54

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Very true about the lights, especially given they flash. You are right, I too really only check it after hooking up. If in a place like above the fridge, maybe a wee disconnect for the display could be connected? But like I said, not a huge deal anyway, just always looking for something to be a bit better.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:03 PM   #55

Time delay

Fred: Keep in mind when installing on of these yourself the standard time delay from the factory for power is 15 seconds. I believe Escape pulls the jumper on the board which increases it to 136 seconds. I’m ok with the 15 seconds because my mini-split A/C has an internal time delay safety. The standard Dometic A/C may not have this. You may need to pull the jumper for the best protection of your A/C on a restart.
Attached Thumbnails
C63334B2-F2AE-4F55-8699-0F9EA50417A3.png  
Old 01-06-2019, 12:10 PM   #56

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
I hate that 5 minutes after I finish a project I come up with a Why didn’t I do that?
Guess I’m not alone😎
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:49 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
I hate that 5 minutes after I finish a project I come up with a Why didn’t I do that?
Guess I’m not alone😎
I just e-mailed ETI and asked if they could mount the monitor on my 21 someplace where I did not have to crawl under the table to see it. By the fridge?

We'll see what they say.

Ed
Old 01-06-2019, 01:27 PM   #58

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm betting that they will say it stays where it is , I'm finding that Escape is more or less standardizing their trailers with outlet locations, light location and so on. The displays are where they are as shown in the standard layouts.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:28 PM   #59

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
Same here.
On my last RV I mounted the remote right next to the entry door. That way when I hooked up, I didn’t even have to step inside to see the hoped for E=0.

Would there be a more visible location on some floor plans?
Ed
The 19 is probably the lucky one on the location on the drivers side bench. Easy to see it from outside the door after hooking up.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 02:51 PM   #60

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Quote:

Jim and Tom (TDF-TEXAS),

Can you mount the monitor above the fridge, use the cable that is provided and still maintain the 13’ distance limitation?
(See excerpt from the installation manual)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7675.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	36183

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote