Looking for instructions on adding remote propane - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2017, 10:03 AM   #1

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Looking for instructions on adding remote propane

Good morning.
I have searched the forum several ways and been unable to find what I'm looking for, so now I'm asking:

Can anyone direct me to step-by-step instructions (on this thread or elsewhere) on how to add a remote propane connection to an Escape 17 that has a two-bottle system?

Forgive me if it's been asked and answered a million times. Thanks!
Sherm2954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:07 AM   #2

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Are you asking for a do it yourself version of the factory option that Escape offers?
Old 10-26-2017, 10:31 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Are you asking about a Low Pressure Quick Connect? If so I have done it and it is not hard. You just have to tap into the existing main line with a 1/2" x 3/8" flared tee, and run a 3/8" copper (rated for this use) line to the quick connect location. Not a tough job at all if you are familiar with working with gas lines and have the flaring tools, otherwise I would suggest you hire it done. I did it myself so I could have it hidden away in a hatch.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Are you asking for a do it yourself version of the factory option that Escape offers?
Yes, exactly
Old 10-26-2017, 10:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Are you asking about a Low Pressure Quick Connect? If so I have done it and it is not hard. You just have to tap into the existing main line with a 1/2" x 3/8" flared tee, and run a 3/8" copper (rated for this use) line to the quick connect location. Not a tough job at all if you are familiar with working with gas lines and have the flaring tools, otherwise I would suggest you hire it done. I did it myself so I could have it hidden away in a hatch.

Yes. That's what I want, although I was going to attach it to the framing and terminate the coupling at a convenient location (likely near the step as is done at the factory). I don't have the amazing skills and tools you apparently have, but I'm fairly astute.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:02 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The fittings are reasonably common. You can find everything you need from Fairview Fittings, including the valved coupler (or as a set with a nipple) and a dust plug for it. There are lots of retail sources - including most RV parts stores - but Fairview is a manufacturer, and I've found that their local distribution warehouse sells to retail customers at lower prices than most retail stores.

The quick disconnect hardware is almost always 1/4" pipe threaded (couplers are female NPT, nipples are usually male NPT), but the low-pressure plumbing in the trailer (such as the copper tubing) is typically 3/8"... just something to keep in mind when assembling the needed fittings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherm2954 View Post
... to an Escape 17 that has a two-bottle system?
The dual propane cylinders - along with the auto-changeover regulator that Escape provides to switch between them - don't matter to this installation. It's the same as it would be with one cylinder, because the quick disconnect is for low-pressure propane, so it is connected to the plumbing after (on the trailer side, not the tank side) of the regulator.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:24 PM   #7

There was a discussion of the location and mounting of the optional Escape connection (and issues with it), and alternatives:
Bent propane quick connect

Myron's at-the-regulator installation is shown in detail in another discussion:
quick connect
Old 10-30-2017, 06:49 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have had a few requests via PM about my Low Pressure Quick Connect, with how I did it, and what parts I used. I will be bringing my trailer home later this week to work on it for a while and finish the long list of mods I want to do on it. I will take more photos, and maybe do up a thread on what I did. It could easily be modified to fit any trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The fittings are reasonably common. You can find everything you need from Fairview Fittings, including the valved coupler (or as a set with a nipple) and a dust plug for it. There are lots of retail sources - including most RV parts stores - but Fairview is a manufacturer, and I've found that their local distribution warehouse sells to retail customers at lower prices than most retail stores.
I have purchased direct from Fairview Fittings a few times in the past, but when going to get some fittings for my daughters 1300 and my 5.0TA earlier this year, I found they will no longer sell direct to the public. This is unfortunate, because it was nice shopping at a place who had just about everything gas related.

I have since just gone to buying online, where almost everything needed is available. The components can usually be shipped to my house cheaper, with less time wasted than going to a local reseller, who mostly buy from Fairview..
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 02:31 PM   #9

Quote:
I have purchased direct from Fairview Fittings a few times in the past, but when going to get some fittings for my daughters 1300 and my 5.0TA earlier this year, I found they will no longer sell direct to the public.
This will depend on the individual Fairview location. Edmonton does still sell to the public, as of a few weeks ago. You go to the shipping/receiving desk, at the back of the building.

The situation is similar for many industrial suppliers: retail sales are supported to varying extents, and as you get closer to the actual manufacturer along the distribution chain, the prices are lower but single-quantity retail sales are less likely.

Quote:
I have since just gone to buying online, where almost everything needed is available. The components can usually be shipped to my house cheaper, with less time wasted than going to a local reseller, who mostly buy from Fairview.
That's great if you can find the right parts - and please share links for those - but with shipping costs (especially from the U.S.) I haven't found anything online cheaper than Fairview direct... yet.

In any case, the manufacturer's product catalog can be useful for finding the right part, even if the purchase is not made from them directly.