Looking to modify counter extension - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2017, 10:56 AM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Looking to modify counter extension

I'm using the big dinette in my 15 as a permanent bed, and as a result the folding counter extension gets stuck between the mattress and the counter. If I leave it up it sticks out too far onto the bed. So I have an idea to remove it and replace it with a narrower table of some sort that could still fold up and down, but would take less room. I'm thinking of something like this with a space for a cup at least. Not sure what I linked would work (it has to allow me to attach the hardware) so wondering if anyone has any ideas or has seen something that might work. (Size of this looks about right but it is probably molded plastic so not so great for attaching screws.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:09 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
In our 17', I leave the counter extension up and sleep with my feet under it and my head at the other end.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
In our 17', I leave the counter extension up and sleep with my feet under it and my head at the other end.
I thought about that but I like to read and drink coffee in bed in the morning- I need at least the real counter to be there. That's why I thought if I can replace the swing down one with something with a cup holder it would be perfect.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:14 AM   #4

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Ditto - no problem. Wife even puts items on it to be accessible if needed during the night...
soultrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:15 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
I'm using the big dinette in my 15 as a permanent bed, and as a result the folding counter extension gets stuck between the mattress and the counter. If I leave it up it sticks out too far onto the bed. So I have an idea to remove it and replace it with a narrower table of some sort that could still fold up and down, but would take less room. I'm thinking of something like this with a space for a cup at least. Not sure what I linked would work (it has to allow me to attach the hardware) so wondering if anyone has any ideas or has seen something that might work. (Size of this looks about right but it is probably molded plastic so not so great for attaching screws.
Bobbie, not that it solves your problem, but on our 19 we had Escape add a couple flip up shelves, one at the foot and one at the head of the bed. They're about 6 or 7 inches deep. Something like that sounds perfect for your 15. Perhaps you could have the existing extension cut down.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-11-2017, 11:29 AM   #6

I thought about cutting it down but it would be nice to keep it intact in case I ever want to sell the trailer.

So far I just haven't used it but it gets in the way of making the bed. I need to get some measurements and see what I can find to put in its place.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:32 AM   #7

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Leon modified mine (my 17b) to be removable instead of flip up just snap it in when using it. He can explain what he did if you ask him.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:33 AM   #8

Which reminds me- I also need to get one of those odd Canadian square head screwdrivers- is there a size for that? I have one but it is too small but no idea what size to look for if I ever remember it when I'm at the hardware store.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:07 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Robertson

The most common Robertson screw head I have found on our 19 is a #2. This is usually sold with a red handle if the manufacturer respects tradition and ease of identification. The changeable bit screwdriver sold at Escape has a multitude of bit sizes including the #2. The driver is about $17 CAN. And about the only time you'd need something else is if you need a stubby. Buy an American or Canadian made product.
Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 12:24 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
My flip up table by the door is rectangle shaped and the factory installed it with the longest part away from the counter, thus making the table too wide to exit while elevated. I took it off and reversed the direction, making the table narrower but longer and can now exit with it elevated.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:28 PM   #11

Mine is pretty much square. But I figured out I need just 8" wide and I have an idea- have to check it out. I had a nice wood cutting board (made of glued pieces of hardwood) and a friend put it in the dishwasher and now I have a set of pieces. I think if I glue a couple of those together to get 8" they'll be solid enough once they are attached to the bracket. Yes, the two ends work great to get 8".
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0821.jpg  
Old 06-11-2017, 02:43 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
The most common Robertson screw head I have found on our 19 is a #2. This is usually sold with a red handle if the manufacturer respects tradition and ease of identification. The changeable bit screwdriver sold at Escape has a multitude of bit sizes including the #2. The driver is about $17 CAN. And about the only time you'd need something else is if you need a stubby. Buy an American or Canadian made product.
Dave
Second the recommendation of the Escape screwdriver. They gave them away as part of the welcome kit at the Osoyoos rally a couple of years ago, and I've used ours quite a bit.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-11-2017, 03:54 PM   #13

Trailer: 2012 15A
Although there are many types of screw heads, whenever I have something to screw up my first choice is an assortment of Robertson screws and screw bits!!
They make screwing together a wood working project so much easier, especially when using a power driver.
Just have to watch you don't over-sink them, easy to do.

The only Phillips screws I use are the drywall ones. There is no other option besides nails. And I stay away from slot head screws as well.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 03:55 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I needed some changes made to a stock table from Escape. I took it to a local counter top store and they made the necessary changes. They pointed out they had the same formica and edging. If you feel the need to have something matching or resized it can be done easily and quite inexpensive. For instance inserting a cup holder.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:08 PM   #15

Sadly my cutting board was too short without moving the supports, so I put up an unfinished pine shelf for now (7" by 22") and will worry about a permanent shelf later (going camping soon!)