Lowering the front dinette in the 17B and/or 19? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2014, 06:33 PM   #1

Trailer: none
Lowering the front dinette in the 17B and/or 19?

A planning noob here. I'm looking at both the 17B and the 19. Whichever one I get, as a solo traveler who writes a great deal, spreading papers and books out in a rather spectacular way when in the midst of a project, I plan to have the rear dinette made into a U-dinette, and turn the front dinette into a permanent bed. Many of you have done that, and I really appreciate your photographs.

My question: I am also vertically challenged, and want the front bed to be as low as possible. What's under the seats in the 17B and 19? Anything that would prevent lowering those 'seats' in making this a permanent bed?
robinLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I would think the beds could be easily lowered, but you would lose some good storage space. The normal height is not too bad at all. My small grandchildren have no problems with the height.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:58 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
The dinette is a pretty standard sitting height. I'm 5'7" and my legs don't dangle at all. Pretty dang comfortable. I agree with Jim, you'd lose some great storage space for tubs if you lower it.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:07 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
And, you'd have to sit on a pillow to see out the windows.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:13 PM   #5

Jim Bennett: I also have a bad (bad) back, but nobody here wants to hear all about my middle aged physical woes - especially without some stout, ale or Syrah in recompense!

I am much better off being able to put my feet flat on the ground when sitting on the bed - which I want to replace with a custom memory foam mattress.

gbaglo: I will lay on my back and look at the stars; besides, I usually already need to sit on pillows to look out of windows.

Donna D & Everyone Else: I know I will lose storage space, but a grouchy, b*#chy, me is worse than a me who needs to store more in her tow vehicle.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:41 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I'm not certain that you could lower the height of the bed or of the front benches in the 19. At least, not by more than a couple of inches. The hot water tank under the bed and the electrical stuff under the dinette bench would prevent lowering them too much.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:54 PM   #7

Consider raising the floor instead.
On the 17, that would require modification of the wardrobe door ( assuming we are talking about making the front dinette into a permanent bed ). The rear dinette floor is already raised about 3".
That would retain depth under the seats at the front. But, if the bed was permanent, you'd have difficulty getting into the seat storage.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:11 PM   #8

Consider too, that modifications you do may affect the re-sale value adversely. Might be best to look for less permanent solutions.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:30 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinLL View Post
Jim Bennett: I also have a bad (bad) back, but nobody here wants to hear all about my middle aged physical woes - especially without some stout, ale or Syrah in recompense!
You start pouring, and I'll lend you an ear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Consider raising the floor instead.
Along this line, you could easily use a small platform where you most need it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:04 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
We have a 17b and are currently in Florida sitting on it, so I measured - it is 15 &1/4" from the top of the plywood bench to the floor - without the cushions. It seems to be a pretty good height for a bed , I'm not sure you'd want it much lower.
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:22 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
In a seated postion, measure from the bottom of your heel to the bend in your knee... where your thigh starts the 90 degree bend. That's the optimal seat for you.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:23 PM   #12

Thanks for all the input folks. Raising the floor is too much hassle. Some of you caught the fact that I would want the front dinette to be a permanent bed, so the measurement from the floor would be to the top of an 8" mattress on top of the base of the seats. This would ideally be a total of 16 to 17", meaning only 8 to 9" for the storage portion. It might turn out to be an impossible dream. I might just build a portable single step platform.

Once I actually get the trailer and meet some if y'all, I will be more than pleased to start pouring - I won't even force anyone to listen to my health history, but I might urge a single malt on you. And isn't talking beneath the stars part of the reason we all do this?
Old 03-25-2014, 01:57 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Hi Robin,
I have found a foldable step stool is very handy and it could either be stored underneath, or under the mattress at the end you've elected for your feet.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:30 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
The 19' front seat can certainly go lower - the tallest thing is the power center. IF they will move it you can go lower. You will have to ask ETI (Reace) how low it can go.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote