Magnetic door holder? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2017, 01:04 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Magnetic door holder?

I'm annoyed with the door holder as I have to get out of the trailer to open or close the door I'd I'm using it, and without it the door swings shut. I'd like to replace it or modify it to hold by a magnet so I could just push to hold or uphold the door. Has anyone seen one like this or made one?
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 01:08 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Don't know how well they work or anything about them, but there's these: Magnetic Door Holdback
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:26 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Don't know how well they work or anything about them, but there's these: Magnetic Door Holdback
I like the idea a lot. Looks like two side tape to mount. The key would be getting the two parts to meet perfectly face to face. You might have to remove the two side tape and do a little adjustment to one or both with a belt sander. Then reapply some new tape. It its hard to tell, without hands on. Volunteers?
Attached Thumbnails
thumbnail.jpe  

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 04:04 PM   #4

I'll take a look at the door and see if it opens wide enough for those. But there may be a way to use another kind of magnet and one half of those.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:25 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I think magnetic catches would be great for brief use, but if a catch is weak enough that it isn't annoying to release I don't think I would trust it to leave the door unattended. Wind can apply a lot of force to a door.

The RV Parts Country web page says it is for
Quote:
Interior Cabinet And Exterior Baggage/ Storage Compartments Applications
... not much larger entry doors. The exterior compartment doors are normally hinged on top, and so less likely to catch wind.

Real commercial vans (meaning Mercedes Sprinter, Ford Transit, and Ram ProMaster) often have magnetic holders on the sides of the van body for the rear doors (which can swing almost 270 degrees open). So that's a precedent, and a potential source of parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
The key would be getting the two parts to meet perfectly face to face.
I think that's an important point, especially on a moulded fiberglass trailer in which all the body parts are strong but none are very rigid. A really good magnetic catch would have a joint allowing some tilting of one side, so the magnets (or magnet and mating steel) would engage properly.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:09 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have never had issue with the ones Escape uses, and like the solid catch. I too would be concerned with magnetic catches in the wind, too much potential for damage. Stepping out of the trailer is not that tough, and we are usually outside coming in when wanting to close the door anyway.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:15 PM   #7

N
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have never had issue with the ones Escape uses, and like the solid catch. I too would be concerned with magnetic catches in the wind, too much potential for damage. Stepping out of the trailer is not that tough, and we are usually outside coming in when wanting to close the door anyway.
I often have the door open for the dogs to come and go (from the penned in area) so when I'm ready to open or close it I'm not always the one coming or going. Not worried about wind as I'd close it then, anyway, but it tends to close itself in a very slight breeze if not latched. I can always do it with a weak magnet so it doesn't hold too strongly. I'll work on it when I get home.

I have a handheld shower head that holds on with a magnet- works great. Plenty strong that wind wouldn't blow it open, but maybe a bit stronger than I want here.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:00 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Will be interested if magnets work well as I wouldn't mind those either. They may not need to go together perfectly to work.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:33 PM   #9

I think something like this would work. https://www.amazon.com/Huluwa-Magnetic-Stainless-Doorstop-Double-sided

I can leave the original on and use if needed but this would be a quick open/close if it works.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:55 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
I think something like this would work. https://www.amazon.com/Huluwa-Magnetic-Stainless-Doorstop-Double-sided

I can leave the original on and use if needed but this would be a quick open/close if it works.
I used this type throughout my house - quite strong.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:39 AM   #11

It's working. But I put the latch on after I got to my campsite so can't attest to how it will travel down the road or hold up to weather yet. It has good 3M adhesive so I'm hopeful. Very easy to install and works perfectly. The long end wiggles on its base so doesn't have to be perfectly aligned. It takes a good tug to pull it open but that has shown no sign of pulling off the adhesive. However, it is pretty cool here- on a hot day somewhere things could be quite different.
Attached Thumbnails
magnetic latch closed.JPG   magnetic latch open.JPG  
Old 06-19-2017, 02:02 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
My biggest concern with that hardware (which I used all over my house) is that there is a spring inside the unit mounted on the door that will eventually rust....

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:29 PM   #13

If so it will be sooner rather than later where I live so I'll let you know.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:56 PM   #14

Quote:

I used this one- installed it on June 15 after arriving at the campground, used it for ten days, drove back with it on door and wall. (Obviously not open.) It worked great. I can push the door open hard and it catches, pull it off when I want to close the door, and it holds in between. No sign of rust so far, and double-sided tape mount is holding even over bumpy roads and pulling on it as I close the door.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:14 PM   #15

Trailer: None now
Thank you, I had ordered one and was waiting to see if it was going on the trailer or not. I mounted ours towards the bottom where the catches always were on our previous trailers.
It sticks out about the same amount the step does.
I painted the metal disc that the foam mounts to to make it look a bit more factory.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170630_145932.jpg   IMG_20170630_145922.jpg  
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 02:27 PM   #16

Nice with the paint. It really does the job so I hope it holds. I loved having it on the trip.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Nice with the paint. It really does the job so I hope it holds. I loved having it on the trip.
We have the new style door that supposedly does not need a latch to hold against the trailer. We found they can move when a strong breeze hits them. So I was bungeeing the door to the frame and when I saw your post bought a set and waited to see how yours worked out. The combination of the door resistance with the magnetic latch seems like it will be perfect.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:32 PM   #18

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Nice to hear this is working for you folks. I'm so tired of the door flinging against the side of the trailer if it slips out of my hand. Thinking this might help in that situation. As well as not using that silly white stick thingie that's already there. Not quite the easiest thing around to use - least for me. It doesn't fit into the slot (or whatever you want to call it) very easily.

So, got mine on order. But went with a black one as we're both not too keen on the stainless look.

Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 03:42 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Some have also put door handles on the inside of the door which we may do.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 03:49 PM   #20

If you have waxed your trailer make sure to remove the wax where you are going to mount it. Isopropyl alcohol works fine to remove it. Otherwise the sticky pads won't stay stuck for long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Nice to hear this is working for you folks. I'm so tired of the door flinging against the side of the trailer if it slips out of my hand. Thinking this might help in that situation. As well as not using that silly white stick thingie that's already there. Not quite the easiest thing around to use - least for me. It doesn't fit into the slot (or whatever you want to call it) very easily.

So, got mine on order. But went with a black one as we're both not too keen on the stainless look.

Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1