Manual transfer switch - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #1

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Manual transfer switch

I recently completed the latest electrical modification on our 19' to give us more capability off the grid.

A manually adjusted 6 pole manual transfer switch now brings a 2500 watt modified sine wave inverter on-line from the batteries with the whole trailer while boon-docking allowing us to run the microwave and power all outlets for a blender, toaster, computers, stereo system, electric griddle, and portable Jacuzzi (just kidding), etc. What is disconnected when the switch is manually set are the air conditioner and converter. With 4 wet-cell golf cart batteries and 2 solar panels (190 watts) with a 2500 watt inverter we will be the campsite of choice to visit to charge your cell phones!

In this picture you can see (starting from the left side) a duplex outlet that is connected directly to the inverter and switch to turn on inverter power, then a 6-pole three position 30 amp transfer switch (black). When rotated to the left position it is wired for normal shore power. In the middle everything is disconnected. In the right position the inverter is supplying power and the air conditioner and converter are disconnected. On the far right side is the main 12volt power disconnect switch supplying the inverter.

Steve
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Steve,
Nice set up, hopefully it will perform as planned.
I find that the 12v factory disconnect switch that disconnects the battery from the converter still allows the solar to charge the battery? In other words the solar panel still operates when the switch is off. Can anyone verify this? I only see two wires at my battery whereas if the solar was connected one would assume there would be 4 wires?
Old 04-13-2013, 06:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Steve,
I find that the 12v factory disconnect switch that disconnects the battery from the converter still allows the solar to charge the battery? In other words the solar panel still operates when the switch is off. Can anyone verify this? I only see two wires at my battery whereas if the solar was connected one would assume there would be 4 wires?
Jim, I believe you are right.

BTW, I've fully tested my new setup and it works great. It is really something to transfer over to inverter/batteries and look over and see the microwave light on. I could run the refrigerator also since it is on the same circuit as the microwave but don't need or want to with propane. On my transfer switch setup I pulled the wire directly from the 120volt breaker supplying the converter through the transfer switch. I still haven't done any remote camping since this mod and will be interested to really stress the batteries after the sun goes down and then see 8 or 9 amps of charge going in the morning. I'll take a picture of the panel if it goes that high.

Steve
Old 04-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Steve,
The solar controller is connected to the system between the disconnect switch & the batteries so that it will still charge the batteries with the switch off.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:48 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
So the switch urns off all parasitic drains on the battery. Good to know so that in storage one can turn off the switch and still have a charged battery with the solar option.
Steve, are all the inverter outlets silver to distinguish from others or basically the entire trailer's 120v outlet system is hooked up, sans a/c?
Old 04-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Tidy, sensible, functional... good stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
When rotated to the left position it is wired for normal shore power. In the middle everything is disconnected. In the right position the inverter is supplying power and the air conditioner and converter are disconnected.
Personally, I think I would have reversed the connections so that turning the transfer switch toward the inverter switch and outlet activated inverter mode, and turning it toward the visible converter would activate shore power mode... but maybe I just think graphically.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Tidy, sensible, functional... good stuff!

Personally, I think I would have reversed the connections so that turning the transfer switch toward the inverter switch and outlet activated inverter mode, and turning it toward the visible converter would activate shore power mode... but maybe I just think graphically.
I'm left handed...that must be it!...
Old 04-14-2013, 09:14 PM   #8

Quote:
So the switch urns off all parasitic drains on the battery. Good to know so that in storage one can turn off the switch and still have a charged battery with the solar option.
Steve, are all the inverter outlets silver to distinguish from others or basically the entire trailer's 120v outlet system is hooked up, sans a/c?
Jim, only the outlet in the picture is silver and is connected directly to the inverter. It will operate even when the transfer switch is in shore mode and the inverter is turned on. All of the standard outlets in the trailer are on the inverter when switched over. The transfer switch mainly changes the main supply from shore to inverter. The other poles turn things on and off as needed in the two positions.

Steve
Old 04-15-2013, 12:05 AM   #9

This is a brilliant solution. I had all my outlets wired dual modes Upper plug was shore and lower was inverter. Your setup is much smarter.
Dog as Navigator
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:52 AM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM View Post
I had all my outlets wired dual modes Upper plug was shore and lower was inverter.
This is a very reliable alternative; I'm not sure if I would be more likely to accidentally run the battery down with the inverter by forgetting to move where I plugged in, or to accidentally run the battery down with the inverter by forgetting to flip the switch
One caution: the outlet boxes have two sources of power, which is an undesirable practice for safety, because you could turn one off to work on an outlet and forget that there is still power in the box from the other source.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM View Post
This is a brilliant solution. I had all my outlets wired dual modes Upper plug was shore and lower was inverter. Your setup is much smarter.
Thanks Don but the idea for a 6-position manual transfer switch set up this way was "copied shamelessly" from a post I read on another site....

here is the link...http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/manua...er-120192.html
Old 08-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #12

Trailer: 2011 19' Escape
hotfishtacos,

Thanks for your post on the manual transfer switch. Installed 600w pure sine wave inverter and switch. Runs my Traeger Grill perfectly and no need to start a generator.
Attached Thumbnails
inverter.jpg   switch.jpg  
Old 08-25-2013, 09:25 PM   #13

182 King, way to go! Nice looking install! Since you've made the installation you can truly understand how much easier it is now for you to switch from shore to inverter power. ...and not having to wire each outlet as a dual power source saved a lot of time and expense. I guess you are another "Happy Camper!"

"No Generators!"

Steve
Old 08-27-2013, 08:38 AM   #14

I wired my transfer switch a little differently. The microwave/refrigerator circuit isn't powered by the inverter. Since it is only a 600 W inverter.

Just have to make a metal box to go around the switch and the project will be done.

Yes, I'm a happy camper
Old 08-27-2013, 03:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 182king View Post
I wired my transfer switch a little differently. The microwave/refrigerator circuit isn't powered by the inverter. Since it is only a 600 W inverter.

Just have to make a metal box to go around the switch and the project will be done.

Yes, I'm a happy camper
Hey,

Instead of a metal box perhaps something like this Shop Amerock 128mm Center-to-Center Oil-Rubbed Bronze Blackrock Bar Cabinet Pull at Lowes.com might work for you. I am fond of metals and such myself lol better with metal then I am with wood. But To act as a switch protector under the table and for the tank heat pad switches these or something similar are easy to do and you can pick styles to match your tastes. Just a thought .

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:09 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post
Hey,

Instead of a metal box perhaps something like this Shop Amerock 128mm Center-to-Center Oil-Rubbed Bronze Blackrock Bar Cabinet Pull at Lowes.com might work for you. I am fond of metals and such myself lol better with metal then I am with wood. But To act as a switch protector under the table and for the tank heat pad switches these or something similar are easy to do and you can pick styles to match your tastes. Just a thought .

Cypher
Actually I am looking to build a metal box for the back side of the switch (under the seat). Something like a breaker box.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:57 AM   #17

Hey,

Oh I thought you were trying to protect the switch from being tripped etc when someone is sitting at the table. Perhaps a project box from radio shack might fit over the back side. They have a lot of sizes in plastic and alum.

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:57 PM   #18

I am only using 5 poles of the manual transfer switch, when I came up with an idea to simply turning on the inverter with the 6th pole.

No when I switch to inverter, the inverter comes on. When switching to off or shore the inverter is off. Can't get any simpler than that!!
Old 10-01-2013, 09:58 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I decided to change my inverter plans from an auto transfer switch to the 6 pole manual one - it avoids an additional breaker box and breakers, but does require a (smallish) box for the switch and wiring. Of course I reserve the right to change my mind 10 times between now and January when I will get the trailer.

TYVM to hotfishtacos on this forum and Shooted on IRV2.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:26 PM   #20

Trailer: 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post

In this picture you can see (starting from the left side) a duplex outlet that is connected directly to the inverter and switch to turn on inverter power, then a 6-pole three position 30 amp transfer switch (black). When rotated to the left position it is wired for normal shore power. In the middle everything is disconnected. In the right position the inverter is supplying power and the air conditioner and converter are disconnected. On the far right side is the main 12volt power disconnect switch supplying the inverter.

Steve
Steve's mod with the 3 way manual transfer switch seems like a better idea to me than the automatic transfer switch that Escape uses.

Anyone have any thoughts about manual vs. automatic transfer switches?

Thanks. j
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote