Mattress in the 21 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2014, 12:19 PM   #1

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A/2015 21 coming in march
Mattress in the 21

Happy Holidays everyone.I am just wondering if anyone no's.In the 21 you get a mattress.When you do your build can you request,a specific mattress.ie soft/firm etc..
WLYBGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 12:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
You can for a fee; one customer did and paid around $450 more. Still an innerspring mattress I believe though. Several including ourselves have built their own using foam foundations with latex. A 4-5" foam similar to what is used in the cushions with 3" latex is pretty nice.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 12:53 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLYBGR View Post
Happy Holidays everyone.I am just wondering if anyone no's.In the 21 you get a mattress.When you do your build can you request,a specific mattress.ie soft/firm etc..
That is a good question. You do get a mattress and I think you can order it firm or whatever. Cpharley had the mattress in his 21 cut down by 2 inches to keep it away from the cold walls to prevent condensation. And I would assume this makes it easier to make the bed. Also someone on this forum stated that they did order a firm mattress. There are a lot of things you can do that aren't on the build sheet and we will just have to contact ETI on many of them. Digital thermostat being one of them. And ETI goes out of their way to accommodate the buyer. That's why our name is on their to build list. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 06:47 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
ETI supplied us with the contact info for their 21 mattress maker in Canada and we had them build the most firm version they could; it was then delivered to ETI with their regular versions. Net cost was about $275, after the offset with a $150 credit from ETI for not using theirs. No shipping charges, taxes, etc.

It is a very comfy mattress!

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:45 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
for those you created foam mattresses, why did you do that? In our previous trailer the foam mattress broke down/ lost cushioning within a few years of week end use. Was it for comfort or some other reason?
Mountain_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:22 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain_gal View Post
for those you created foam mattresses, why did you do that? In our previous trailer the foam mattress broke down/ lost cushioning within a few years of week end use. Was it for comfort or some other reason?
All "foams" are not created equal. We have a TempurPedic here at home (viscoelastic memory foam) that is as good as new after 10 years of use. There are several good foam mattresses (and Latex) designed specifically for RV use that would probably last a lifetime unless you're a full timer.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:31 AM   #7

We did it as we discovered latex a couple of yeas ago and bought an all latex mattress. They're not inexpensive or light. For tbe RV we put together a hybrid after talking with people at a mattress store and researching at sleeplikethedead.com. At that sight one can see that while 80% of mattresses sold are innerspring, primarily driven by cost- they break down the fastest. My suggestion is to visit a reputable mattress store with a good selection and get to know the options.

Ours is 5" closed cell foam with 2" memory foam and 2" of Bliss latex. Bliss is the best IMO but not cheap. We already had the topper for use at home , and you may like just 3" of latex and skip the memory foam.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:06 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
We did it as we discovered latex a couple of yeas ago and bought an all latex mattress. They're not inexpensive or light. For tbe RV we put together a hybrid after talking with people at a mattress store and researching at sleeplikethedead.com. At that sight one can see that while 80% of mattresses sold are innerspring, primarily driven by cost- they break down the fastest. My suggestion is to visit a reputable mattress store with a good selection and get to know the options.

Ours is 5" closed cell foam with 2" memory foam and 2" of Bliss latex. Bliss is the best IMO but not cheap. We already had the topper for use at home , and you may like just 3" of latex and skip the memory foam.
We did that this year, went to a couple mattress reputable foam mattress stores, and ended up with a 6" firm good quality mattress, with a 2 1/2" latex topper. It is like floating on a cloud. We love it. They both have their own cover, and can be flipped independently. Not a cheap mattress, but quality of sleep is important, as I don't sleep long hours. We are now considering the same mattress for home, but may look into 100% latex foam.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 04:36 AM   #9

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Jim, Rossue
How does the latex compare to memory foam for sleeping comfort?
Old 01-10-2015, 07:04 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Jim, Rossue
I did lots of research, talked to people who have tried both, and tried them out at the stores. They both add a nice level of comfortable support that forms around your curves. I went with latex for two reasons. The first and foremost, is that latex breathes better, and I am a warm sleeper, and lack of breathing would mean perspiration not wicking away, and then I don't stay so warm. The second is that memory foam needs more warming up than latex to mould to your shape, and we never heat our trailer during the day, so the memory foam would take a bit of warming before forming well.

As far as pure comfort goes, I think they both do great. Go for a snooze at your local mattress shop, and try both.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:48 AM   #11

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Thanks Jim, Hadn't thought about the difference in time it takes to warm it up so it softens up, good reason to go with it for the trailer. Need to buy one or the other for the trailer shortly.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:33 AM   #12

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Although we chose very good mattresses for the house right from the beginning, we decided to try a memory foam topper when one was given to us. The comfort difference was so surprising we both found reasons to sleep on it in the spare room. That situation was not the best for the marriage so we picked up a 3" memory foam topper at Costco for the main bedroom, too.

We'll get one for the RV too, I'm sure, but now I know to look into latex as well. Thanks
Old 01-10-2015, 12:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Jim, Rossue
Good question. Latex is buoyant whereas with memory foam its more the opposite. Latex sleeps cool, whereas memory foam sleeps warm. As Rbryan says there is foam and then there is foam. And as with many if not most things one tends to get what they pay for, although there are exceptions to every rule. Our latex mattress at home was just under $3,000, and that was a deal at a store going out of business. We love it, however for the guest room we bought the Costco Queen in a box memory foam- Novaform I believe, and its pretty nice. It cost around $600.