Microwave dimension - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2018, 05:29 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 - "Here We Go Again"
Microwave dimension

We are looking at microwave options for our yet to be born 21'. We see that the dimension listed for the microwave cabinet door opening is 18.5" wide x 11.5" tall. DW saw an inverter microwave today that measures exactly 18.5" wide x 10.5 tall x 14.5" deep. I am thinking that with enough "jimmying" it just might fit perfectly.
Can anybody out there tell us what the largest width dimension microwave you have installed is? Or can someone give us the actual door opening measurement from your trailer?
Thanks for any information!

gwvwadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:29 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
You do realize there 2 possible microwave locations in the 21-upper and lower. See here for dimensions http://escapetrailer.com/wp-content/...asurements.pdf
it appears the under counter location is a bit larger than the overhead location.

Old 06-24-2018, 06:31 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
the cabinet is *exactly* 18.5 wide on our 21, and about 22" deep, the stock microwave is more like 17.5" wide and there are four 'tabs' screwed to the sides of the cabinet that stick out and secure the microwave.

we've not used the microwave yet, we're far more likely to use the propane oven (mmm, toasted rolls with melted cheese, various casseroles, etc etc)
2006 Yellow Lab (Maggie... RIP Feb 2019 )
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:57 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwvwadc View Post
We are looking at microwave options for our yet to be born 21'. We see that the dimension listed for the microwave cabinet door opening is 18.5" wide x 11.5" tall. DW saw an inverter microwave today that measures exactly 18.5" wide x 10.5 tall x 14.5" deep. I am thinking that with enough "jimmying" it just might fit perfectly.
Can anybody out there tell us what the largest width dimension microwave you have installed is? Or can someone give us the actual door opening measurement from your trailer?
I would call ETI and ask they could install a unit with the dimensions you have; simple to make the opening maybe 1/16 inch bigger during construction. If you actually have the unit shipped to ETI before the start date of your build, I'll bet Reace will make it work.

No two Escapes are exactly alike. I worked on one 21 where the bed framing was out-of-square by almost 1/4 inch to the grid on the flooring.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:33 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwvwadc View Post
I installed a Panasonic NN-SD372S inverter microwave and it fit with a small amount of trimming.

The blue tape shows the areas that i trimmed - I also centered the enclosure at the same time as Escape had cut it a little off center. The side faces of the microwave cabinet extend from interior sides with plenty of space for cuts so the amounts I had to trim were not a problem.

The next pic shows the microwave installed. I added a section of aluminum angle to the bottom sides of the microwave to form mounting feet and attached it to the bottom of the cabinet with industrial velcro.

The last pic show the trim that I added. Rease sent me some of the vinyl trim that he uses and it added a finishing look to the installation.

It works great! I tested it for air flow and temperature buildup and found the installation to be fine.

Oh, and if you are going to install your own microwave, be sure to tell Escape not to install the microwave door!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trim areas.jpg (190.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Microwave-(s).jpg (305.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170214_162709.jpg (253.3 KB, 17 views)
Old 06-25-2018, 07:04 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I installed a Panasonic NN-SD372S inverter microwave and it fit with a small amount of trimming.

The blue tape shows the areas that i trimmed - I also centered the enclosure at the same time as Escape had cut it a little off center. The side faces of the microwave cabinet extend from interior sides with plenty of space for cuts so the amounts I had to trim were not a problem.

The next pic shows the microwave installed. I added a section of aluminum angle to the bottom sides of the microwave to form mounting feet and attached it to the bottom of the cabinet with industrial velcro.

The last pic show the trim that I added. Rease sent me some of the vinyl trim that he uses and it added a finishing look to the installation.

It works great! I tested it for air flow and temperature buildup and found the installation to be fine.

Oh, and if you are going to install your own microwave, be sure to tell Escape not to install the microwave door!
I added the same microwave in the upper enclosure in my 21. I reused the tabs that Escape put on the old microwave, and had to notch the front molding to make room for the feet on the new microwave. Like Tom, I did have to widen the cabinet enclosure.