Mini wood stove? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2017, 04:16 PM   #41

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
The outter cabinet of the multi-fuel says it stays cool to the touch but I wouldn't bet my cushions on it.
If this is the Dickenson Newport Solid Fuel Heater, the installation instructions says:
Quote:
Combustible material closer to the heater then the specified safety clearances must be lined with insulation or cement board and a metal liner with a .5” standoff for air movement behind. Another alternative is using insulation or cement board and ceramic tile. The back of the heater and the first length of chimney pipe should also be lined with such material.
Safety Clearances
To protected surfaces - 8"
To Combustible material - 24"
Perhaps one could be mounted between the drawer cabinet and bed of a 21', with a big tunnel through the upper cabinet (for the flue) and suitable protection on the wall, drawer cabinet, and a divider between the heater and the bed. This location on an outside wall without a lower cabinet would also allow for the installation of a fresh-air vent below the heater (as required in the installation instructions).

Dickenson's propane heater has much closer clearance requirements... but it's not a wood stove.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 04:33 PM   #42

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Appears he is using pressure treated wood to burn, it looks like it has a greenish tint? Also remember a wood stove, similar to fireplaces need a lot of fresh air to burn properly, so a window or other opening needs to provide such source.
Hi Jim,

I think the photo is casting a green hue. The wood was not pressure treated. It is salvaged wood from construction sites. Mostly studs.

And yes, there was fresh air venting into the trailer as well. That little sucker really put out the heat!
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:07 AM   #43

Trailer: 2001
Small wood stove are basically less efficient but are good for small room one basic solution to your problem is Utilize a measuring tape to decide run hood's ideal starter, width and profundity — make sure to consider the span of fume fan, position of vent to rooftop or outside divider, and size of liner on the off chance that one is being utilized. Following reach hood plan, make a wood cut rundown for compressed wood and poplar pieces. To abstain from demonstrating a pressed wood edge, the curved piece, base of the side boards and side of front board will be made out of poplar, since those edges will be unmistakable; the rest of the pieces are compressed wood. Right now I am using The Vermont Castings 2461 Catalytic Cast Iron Stove it is highly efficient and very durable.
lewiswhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:13 AM   #44

Trailer: 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewiswhite View Post
Small wood stove are basically less efficient but are good for small room one basic solution to your problem is Utilize a measuring tape to decide run hood's ideal starter, width and profundity — make sure to consider the span of fume fan, position of vent to rooftop or outside divider, and size of liner on the off chance that one is being utilized. Following reach hood plan, make a wood cut rundown for compressed wood and poplar pieces. To abstain from demonstrating a pressed wood edge, the curved piece, base of the side boards and side of front board will be made out of poplar, since those edges will be unmistakable; the rest of the pieces are compressed wood. Right now I am using The Vermont Castings 2461 Catalytic Cast Iron Stove it is highly efficient and very durable.
Hey lewis I am also using a small wood stove but It is not worth my money I recently move out to new place and I want to buy a new wood stove for myself. My house is bit big So a wood stove that is suitable for my home and a big room. Can you suggest me some wood stoves ??
thanks in advance
elissabsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:53 AM   #45

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
🤔 Why would you want to do this? Seems like so many more negatives than positives.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:30 PM   #46

Trailer: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by elissabsmith View Post
Hey lewis I am also using a small wood stove but It is not worth my money I recently move out to new place and I want to buy a new wood stove for myself. My house is bit big So a wood stove that is suitable for my home and a big room. Can you suggest me some wood stoves ??
thanks in advance
I have utilized many diverse stoves, from vintage pot paunch stoves to charcoal and even diesel warmers. After Searching for few months I found that your wood stove should have these qualities.....[url removed by moderator - prohibited]....keep in mind these pionts before buying wood stove

1.Wood utilization – You can stack it and warmth your little house for 8 hours or more.

2.Wood stove should consumes up less room than other floor warmers.

3.Wood stove should incline toward our radiator on the floor since, warm ascents and roof fans push warm around the room.

4.We cherish our outside air and the wood stove must does not take our oxygen and supplant it with carbon dioxide.
lewiswhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:22 AM   #47

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I have a 1200 square foot ranch house. Tried heating it with a Vermont Castings Defiant in 1976, and found the stove too large for the size of the house - had to crank it down to the point where the chimney creosoted.

Switched to their Vigilant model (same design, but smaller) and used it to heat the house until 2011, when natural gas got cheaper than firewood (and a lot easier on my back!)

My current winter solution is to head to Quartzsite, AZ!
Old 01-10-2019, 11:46 AM   #48

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I was out in the carport ( dead of winter ) using an electric table saw to cut up lengths of 2"X4" to fit in my cottage stove when it occurred to me that I could plug in an oil-filled electric heater and save a lot of energy ( mine ).
Old 01-10-2019, 12:04 PM   #49

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
my mother supplemented her heat with a wood stove when she moved i cleaned all her stuff everything was covered with black greasy stuff. I always got running eyes allergies when in that room. I'm not a fan of wood smoke in the house i know its suppose to go out the chimney but a small amount seems to end up inside.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:13 PM   #50

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You know wood heats you three times, once when cut, twice split, 3rd burning.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:25 PM   #51

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by elissabsmith View Post
thanks in advance
Elissa, My wife and I both grew up (West Virginia and Colorado, respectively) with fireplaces and wood-burning stoves, and we wouldn't want to go through a winter without one - even here in Alabama. We were very happy with our Vermont Castings' "Resolute Acclaim" in our former split-level home. Located on the bottom floor, it heated the whole home as the heat rose. When we bought our current ranch-style home, we added a Vermont Castings' "Intrepid II" (handy top-loading feature) in a family room located distant from the central heating system, and we love it too. When we decided to put an insert in the living room's original fireplace, our local stove guru advised us that Vermont Castings had been bought out and weren't what they used to be, and he directed us to a Lopi (made in Washington State) model "1750i" wood-burning insert, and it's the best yet. Lopi also makes stand alone stoves and gas-burning models. Many high quality manufacturers now offer smaller models, as well, but we want stoves with large enough fireboxes to burn through the night and still have enough embers the next morning to keeping the fire going. So anyway, if you've never heard of the "Lopi" brand, I'd highly recommend you check them out. For what it's worth, our farm includes about 20 acres of "free" pine, oak and hickory trees, so we fell, cut, split and stack our own firewood, which I still enjoy doing - albeit at a more leisurely pace than in my youth.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:43 PM   #52

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
So anyway, if you've never heard of the "Lopi" brand, I'd highly recommend you check them out.
I had a Lopi stove in the house I sold about two weeks ago. In the 18 years I lived in the house I burned about 150 gallons of kerosene in the backup Monitor heater and about 36 cords of wood. I have found no other heat source that truly warms me on a cold Winter's day as well as wood heat. But, I don't think wood heat is a good idea in an RV.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:12 PM   #53

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
At our cabin in the White Mountains in AZ over 7000' we switched to a Pellet Stove. Love, love, love the change from wood burning. Lowes is right down the street and has great price on bags of locally produced pellets.
One drawback is they need the Power to be on, which wood doesn't. We are going to solve that by putting in a NG Generac backup system when we move there, and in the big storms most of the neighborhood will probably be down at our place.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:25 PM   #54

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
FWIW in my 2014 5.0 TA was thinking about calling up ETI and asking about possibly removing the cabinet above the little flat shelf to the right as you walk in the door. Then that space could be adapted to have a stainless steel heat guard fitted and you could have a small solid fuel stove. I saw a couple who had converted an old ambulance and the little stove they had put my buddy heater to shame, they fed it with small sticks from the park we were staying at. Problem with the marine propane and diesel heaters is they still have a blower fan that uses electricity. I wanted a boondocking solution that uses no electricity. Was considering just putting an Olympian Wave 6 there instead. I love the little buddy heater it’s just floor space is at such a premium and I have a cat that stumbles around like a drunk.
trvlrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:35 PM   #55

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Been there, done that. At least a friend has in his boat. Years ago a friend tried a tiny wood stove in his sailboat. As Glen says, one issue is you have to feed it very small pieces of wood. Gets to be a nuisance. Venting and other safety concerns made me glad when the Dickinson Chesapeake diesel heater came on the market. Me and my friends have enjoyed many years, on cold wet days, sitting by its' cheery little glow that just, hour after hour, keeps putting out welcome warmth. Many times I've looked at the wall space between my bathroom door and the dinette and considered if it was worth squeezing one in there. Wood, no thanks.

Ron
Reading the specs on the Chesapeake is really like to find a way to make that work! 6000 BTUs is just about perfect for a 5.0TA giving a 24hr fuel usage of around a gallon, that would easily be almost a business week of fuel since I don’t run the heater while I’m sleeping. Seems like the 12V fan is just for startup. Still may do a wave heater I just worry about traveling out west since they need east coast propane.
trvlrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:41 PM   #56

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
This company makes really nice small wood stoves but I don't think they are suitable for our Escape trailers. I used to have one of their Sardine models that I used to heat a shed/man cave.

Navigator Orders & Inquirys
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:18 PM   #57

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlrn View Post
Problem with the marine propane and diesel heaters is they still have a blower fan that uses electricity.
I've had both types in boats. If I buy a new Escape, still "if" at this point, one of the things that I'll be asking is if I can have the factory furnace deleted so that I can install a Dickinson Alaska floor mount diesel heater. (not to be confused with the old style Alaskan) While the diesel heaters do have the option to use a small fan to more the heat around, they're certainly not required. I very rarely used my fan and on the Escape, essentially one big room, I don't anticipate using it much.

My only concern is that low fire may not be low enough. I've spent many a Winter night with the boat interior in the 70s and snow on the deck.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:43 PM   #58

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlrn View Post
Still may do a wave heater I just worry about traveling out west since they need east coast propane.
What is the difference?
Old 03-18-2019, 07:08 PM   #59
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
No matter what ETI won't do for you, doesn't mean you can't do it for yourself as long as you know what you're getting into and are willing to forgo any warranty along the way.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote