Modification and information requests from Escape - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2017, 12:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 21'
Modification and information requests from Escape

I have placed an order for my 21' and am quite excited . This has been years in the planning and is one of our early steps toward retirement. I have asked several questions of the wonderful people at Escape. I thought the answers to some of them might be useful to the forum. I am hoping to give back a little information to everyone who gave so much to me.

120V/12V fridge swap: They would not install a different fridge, but they would leave the fridge out and credit me $600. They would also modify the cabinet if necessary for a charge. However, contrary to what was done for at least one customer, it is no longer an option to not have the two vents (back and top) associated with the fridge. Given their efforts to standardize their process, I appreciate their willingness to discuss the issue with me even if I didn't get all the answers I desired. We are going with the standard fridge.

External solar ports: They indicated 90+% of people send them Zamp ports.

Axles: We had a discussion on axles. They are using the "#10 Dexter EZ Lube Axles, 3500lb tandem torsion rubber ride suspension". This is contrary to what was on the website, but they have now updated the website.

Cabinet stack: We requested the cabinet stack that several people have done above the heater instead of a counter for $350. Perhaps it has been said before and I missed it, but a counter extension is included in that price since you are losing the counter.

Cabinet stack 2: They have yet another option coming for this space that includes more drawers, but no pictures yet as the first trailer with this option has not entered production quite yet.

Antenna wires: I asked how they seal wires from antennas going through the shell of the trailer (discussed before on the forum). Their present method is to drill a hole and proflex is used around the cable.

Gauge of wires:
Trailer 7 pin to batteries: 8 gauge
Solar panel to controller and controller to batteries: 10 gauge

Obviously prices change regularly for a variety of reasons, but I include them as a reference point.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA Tundra 1794 2017
Thank you!!

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time" JT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TlAD-b7yew
Honair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericw View Post
... External solar ports: They indicated 90+% of people send them Zamp ports. ...
Can anyone with a 2nd generation 21' and a Zamp RV side wall solar port post photos and/or diagrams showing where ETI is mounting the port and where/how they are factory wiring it into the trailer's electrical system? I assume you need to tell ETI whether you want the port wired with Zamp's backwards polarity or with standard polarity? Thanks.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Can anyone with a 2nd generation 21' and a Zamp RV side wall solar port post photos and/or diagrams showing where ETI is mounting the port and where/how they are factory wiring it into the trailer's electrical system? I assume you need to tell ETI whether you want the port wired with Zamp's backwards polarity or with standard polarity? Thanks.
I specifically asked that it be wired to the input of the GoPower solar controller, and gave them the location I preferred (Passenger side rear below the lower tail light.) If you use a panel with a built in controller, you would want it run to the batteries.

I didn't specify polarity; they connected it by the wire color with red positive, which matched my Solar Blvd portable panel.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:00 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA towed with a 2017 GMC Canyon V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I specifically asked that it be wired to the input of the GoPower solar controller, and gave them the location I preferred (Passenger side rear below the lower tail light.) If you use a panel with a built in controller, you would want it run to the batteries.

I didn't specify polarity; they connected it by the wire color with red positive, which matched my Solar Blvd portable panel.
Vermilye, you seem to know a lot about solar, so do you mind relaying your opinion of the Zamp port for use with a portable solar arrangement versus some other type of port? I saw one person use a 30A female receptacle so the power cord could be used (w/ an adapter) to connect with the portable panels. Note, I'm also having the roof top panel installed (5.0TA) so I have to decide whether to ask ETI to wire it to the on board controller. Thanks.
jkordzi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
21'