Modifications to Eggscape - Page 10 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2019, 11:45 AM   #181

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4zvu View Post
Not sure my first reply reached you, so, I am trying again; wife and I are Hams too....would be interested in specific details on your tubing, antenna pole and coax access from outside to inside RV, 2m antenna ? or HF ? 73's gil
Please review post number 178 and if you have any further details you would like to know, please ask. 73’s

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:27 PM   #182

Marine hatches and no clips for Eggscape

The short story...I installed some Marine Hatches in our trailer. Here is the front passenger side unit.

The details...I am use to more hatches on the outside of a trailer and hate having to move cushions to access the areas under the bench seats inside. I knew installing hatches is something that I could do. I made a call to a local company that makes RV hatches...maybe even the one ETI uses, but did not get a call back after two tries. So much for buying local. I then did a search and found these great Marine Hatches on Amazon.ca. When I purchased them they were only a few sizes available and where priced at $46 Canadian. Now I see they have more sizes and are down to $40 which includes free shipping. If you have done any hatch research you will find that this is a great price for a hatch in Canada.

These are well built, UV protected, thick hatches that have a good seal. One great feature of these are that the lid is designed to stays up all by itself!!! No little clip thingy required. In my mind that is worth at least 3 exclamation marks. I installed two of them for the 2018 May Rally and they have worked great all year.

Installation is straight forward. Measure down from the belly band so the hatch will be horizontal with it. Mark the opening on masking tape and cut with a jig saw. You will need screws, washers and nuts or pop rivets and backing washers. For a seal between the hatch and the trailer I used two rows of thin 3m foam tape on the two provided ridges. So not only is it screwed/riveted but also stuck on as well.

If you want it locked you will have to install one. I ran out of picture room so I will explain that in my next post.

Hatch link
https://www.amazon.ca/Amarine-made-A...ne+hatch&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
8EDF0BCB-54F7-4DC6-B855-E7E80F28F8C2.jpg   1761E75D-985C-4A21-AB4F-A4D15CEC9519.jpg   7EA4E84B-C627-481E-AC3E-D8D3765742B0.jpg   39A660B2-9BE8-4C78-9002-FA8D4F2ABBAB.jpg   95587D0F-E4E7-414D-AE4C-ED2278780817.jpg  

0E9A1FA6-2C0B-4067-8818-2C6ACFBA4180.jpg   F343B592-30E8-45FC-ADE6-636FE54D8009.jpg   0B8CC699-1F8E-4FA8-8CD9-C9F5135454CA.jpg  

Old 01-14-2019, 05:46 AM   #183

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You may want to fill in those voids inside the hatch with some sort of insulation to help with cold air in the winter time, otherwise it looks great.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:37 AM   #184

Trailer: 2018 21
You can also walk on those hatches. (if you ever happen to roll the trailer on it's side)
rotorbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:58 AM   #185

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
You may want to fill in those voids inside the hatch with some sort of insulation to help with cold air in the winter time, otherwise it looks great.
I bought from the same supplier Escape uses that have insulated doors. Not a super insulation, but better than nothing.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:17 AM   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
That did cross my mind but somehow did not get done. Thanks for the reminder.

Old 01-16-2019, 11:47 AM   #187

Hiddy hole for Eggscape

The short story...I cut a hole under the furnace and installed what looks to be a fixed information/electrical panel.

The details...I wanted a place to store our wallets, phones and radios out of sight and somewhat secure, so I opened up the area under the furnace. As this is what I consider the heavy side of the trailer, due to not only what you can see, but the things you cannot see, I was not interested in storing anything heavy in this area. As we are driving, this area will be empty and add very little extra weight to this side.

To cover the hole I used the wood frame that formerly was the furnace grill frame/adapter. However, any suitably sized grill, cold air return, bathroom vent, etc on its own would do. If you are ordering a door then you want to make sure it is the correct orientation to match the door beside. If you use the wood frame you can fill the void with some vent work or even some salvaged panelling. Where you can get that extra panelling is only a few posts away. I thought about a few different types of hinges but ended up with similar ones as Escape uses. They keep the door close to the wall and are not visible under the door. I used some magnetic latches at the top to keep the door closed. It is much easier to install the latches before you fill the wood frame as you can get your hand/screw driver inside the hole for the final adjustments.

I did a combination of lower vent and upper electrical panel containing the original sensor, fuse holder, 4 switches, volt meter, night light and cigarette plug. Both the volt meter and night light utilise a switch each. The other two switches are for a future project. To drive home that the electrical panel was permanently attached, I hot glued some short screws into the two existing holes in the wood frame. I did not use the plastic domes as I am not sure that the mentality of a person breaking in would realise there where screws behind the domes. If you are making a real door out of the wood frame you can put a knob through the upper hole and cover the bottom one with a clear plastic bumper.

Before I started the project I thought the hole/door would be horizontal or square, but once I peaked inside via the removed sensor I realised that it was going to be vertical. That ended up perfect as it matched the wood frame orientation/end grain. I centred the hole down from the furnace and a bit wider. By sticking a ruler in the sensor hole you can come up with where the upper and lower limits of the inner support frames. There is very little room to swing a jig saw so a multi tool like the one pictured in post # 109 works great.

The project is not done as I am waiting for some more switches to arrive. Please remove the sensor and look inside to see if your area is suitable for your needs. When I checked I found a gas line right in the middle. Not a problem for us and I will protect it from damage.

I already had the hinges, fuse holder and the night light so your on your own to source them out. The lower vent I got from Restore and the rear cover is an upside down basket from the dollar store. Each item cost 50 cents.

I have attached links and the price for the best deals for the other items at time of posting. Over time these prices will vary so you should search for yourself if you want to order from AliExpress.

Push button switches (5 for $1.24) 5Pcs/Set Mini DS 425A Self Locking SPST Push Button Switch 1.5A 250V/3A 125V S08 Drop ship-in Switches from Lights & Lighting on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Volt meter ($1.21 each) 0.36 Inch DC 4.5 30V LED Mini Digital Voltmeter LED Display Volt Meter Gauge Voltage Panel Meter 2 wires-in Voltage Meters from Tools on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Cig plug ($1.65 each) Dewtreetali 12V 120W Waterproof Black Motorcycle Auto Tractor Accessory Cigarette Lighter Power Socket Plug Outlet For Any DC12V-in Cigarette Lighter from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Attached Thumbnails
9FAF6F94-13C1-4465-ACBE-51B2D8C8FF43.jpg   D47B77A2-A813-4F01-9122-0D2A7848D2B0.jpeg   5A660998-ECC4-4F09-ADA0-C8EB78CA6EE8.jpg   9FAB27C4-AABC-42DE-9B5C-0CF84DA09029.jpeg   72F600F3-8B79-4889-839E-0ECAB8FF4729.jpg  

5605B486-C946-4469-8111-8B7256DC0ADD.jpg   6C10E132-CBA4-4E03-A411-D710B8F521C3.jpg  

Old 01-16-2019, 11:58 AM   #188

Trailer: 2019---21'
Thanks..73s
k4zvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:05 PM   #189

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
The short story...I cut a hole under the furnace and installed what looks to be a fixed information/electrical panel.

The details...I wanted a place to store our wallets, phones and radios out of sight and somewhat secure, so I opened up the area under the furnace.
Ed, that is a great job of creating a stash spot! But you just caused me to lose my breath from laughing.

I live somewhat close to the southern border and down here, crossing the southern border with a hidden stash place can get you invited to the "special room" for several hours of discussion as to why you have such a spot.

Again, great job but I think I'll pass on building one in my trailer.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:47 PM   #190

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:

The details...I wanted a place to store our wallets, phones and radios out of sight and somewhat secure, so I opened up the area under the furnace. As this is what I consider the heavy side of the trailer, due to not only what you can see, but the things you cannot see, I was not interested in storing anything heavy in this area. As we are driving, this area will be empty and add very little extra weight to this side.

To cover the hole I used the wood frame that formerly was the furnace grill frame/adapter. However, any suitably sized grill, cold air return, bathroom vent, etc on its own would do. If you are ordering a door then you want to make sure it is the correct orientation to match the door beside. If you use the wood frame you can fill the void with some vent work or even some salvaged panelling. Where you can get that extra panelling is only a few posts away. I thought about a few different types of hinges but ended up with similar ones as Escape uses. They keep the door close to the wall and are not visible under the door. I used some magnetic latches at the top to keep the door closed. It is much easier to install the latches before you fill the wood frame as you can get your hand/screw driver inside the hole for the final adjustments.

I did a combination of lower vent and upper electrical panel containing the original sensor, fuse holder, 4 switches, volt meter, night light and cigarette plug. Both the volt meter and night light utilise a switch each. The other two switches are for a future project. To drive home that the electrical panel was permanently attached, I hot glued some short screws into the two existing holes in the wood frame. I did not use the plastic domes as I am not sure that the mentality of a person breaking in would realise there where screws behind the domes. If you are making a real door out of the wood frame you can put a knob through the upper hole and cover the bottom one with a clear plastic bumper.

Before I started the project I thought the hole/door would be horizontal or square, but once I peaked inside via the removed sensor I realised that it was going to be vertical. That ended up perfect as it matched the wood frame orientation/end grain. I centred the hole down from the furnace and a bit wider. By sticking a ruler in the sensor hole you can come up with where the upper and lower limits of the inner support frames. There is very little room to swing a jig saw so a multi tool like the one pictured in post # 109 works great.

The project is not done as I am waiting for some more switches to arrive. Please remove the sensor and look inside to see if your area is suitable for your needs. When I checked I found a gas line right in the middle. Not a problem for us and I will protect it from damage.

I already had the hinges, fuse holder and the night light so your on your own to source them out. The lower vent I got from Restore and the rear cover is an upside down basket from the dollar store. Each item cost 50 cents.

I have attached links and the price for the best deals for the other items at time of posting. Over time these prices will vary so you should search for yourself if you want to order from AliExpress.

Push button switches (5 for $1.24) 5Pcs/Set Mini DS 425A Self Locking SPST Push Button Switch 1.5A 250V/3A 125V S08 Drop ship-in Switches from Lights & Lighting on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Volt meter ($1.21 each) 0.36 Inch DC 4.5 30V LED Mini Digital Voltmeter LED Display Volt Meter Gauge Voltage Panel Meter 2 wires-in Voltage Meters from Tools on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Cig plug ($1.65 each) Dewtreetali 12V 120W Waterproof Black Motorcycle Auto Tractor Accessory Cigarette Lighter Power Socket Plug Outlet For Any DC12V-in Cigarette Lighter from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Nice work ! Interesting you have 2 gas lines in your trailer . We only have the one gas line ,to the left , making it easier to enclose the space for a cabinet . We really needed another cabinet for bath supplies for our trailer . Still have the original wires for the moved detector for something . Just haven't decided what to use them for yet . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:11 PM   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Ed, that is a great job of creating a stash spot! But you just caused me to lose my breath from laughing.

I live somewhat close to the southern border and down here, crossing the southern border with a hidden stash place can get you invited to the "special room" for several hours of discussion as to why you have such a spot.

Again, great job but I think I'll pass on building one in my trailer.
You make a valid point and it is something to think about but it is not really that secret when a few thousand people in the next few years will view it on this forum. After all if you were bring something across you would leave it the way it was and just use the sensor hole as access. Others may just want to do the door option. It will be either empty or filled with toilet paper if we cross.

Old 01-16-2019, 02:47 PM   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Nice work ! Interesting you have 2 gas lines in your trailer . We only have the one gas line ,to the left , making it easier to enclose the space for a cabinet . Pat
The gas line in the center goes the the fridge.

Old 01-16-2019, 03:14 PM   #193

Quote:
You make a valid point and it is something to think about but it is not really that secret when a few thousand people in the next few years will view it on this forum. After all if you were bring something across you would leave it the way it was and just use the sensor hole as access. Others may just want to do the door option. It will be either empty or filled with toilet paper if we cross.
I used emoli to make the point that I was being funny. Your cover does look great - that took a lot of work to make it look that good.

The only way border patrol would be interested is if you had kept dog food in there and the dogs alerted on it.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:31 PM   #194

Quote:
The gas line in the center goes the the fridge.
Guess they are running the gas line to refrigerator in the Classics different . Our one line is for the heater I think . Pat
Old 01-16-2019, 03:41 PM   #195
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
If anybody did this mod and then worried about border crossings, leave the hidey-hole empty, take the 'door' off and put it in the tug. Anyone asks... tell them you had a propane leak and you're airing out the cabinets
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:46 PM   #196

Don’t worry Tom I didn’t take your comments other than anything but positive.

However people should think of the ramifications of having a space like that found at the boarder. I thought of maybe just leaving the door open when crossing but that may end up in the same self inflicted result.

Quickly thinking...I should epoxy a tee nut in the back of the upper and lower holes which now house the black screws. For same country travel I can insert the black screws so it looks like it is screwed to the wall...to your average thief. Before boarder crossing remove the lower screw and install a big knob in the upper hole...now it’s a door.

Old 01-16-2019, 05:08 PM   #197

Boarder crossing knob...

I liked the idea of a boarder crossing knob...so now I have one. If a door has a knob, then it is fair game to be opened. I just have to add this to my boarder crossing check list right along with making sure there are no wooden marshmallow sticks...but that is a story I have told before.

I removed the two black screws that were hot glued in and I will be using a nut to secure them while in single country travel mode.

The knob has its own screw to attach it from behind. I just had to counter sink the holes a bit on the back side to allow a flush fit for the screw head and nuts. I don’t really care what the knob looks like as it will not be on for long or used that often.
Attached Thumbnails
D9548129-DD97-41ED-9362-61C3C2D92370.jpg  

Old 01-16-2019, 06:56 PM   #198

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Put a floor mounted safe behind the secret door and really drive the Border Guards nuts.

Your entire vehicle has been electronically scanned as you drive up to the guard stop. They’ve already found anything being hidden anywhere in the vehicle long before they go in to take a look.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:59 PM   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Put a floor mounted safe behind the secret door and really drive the Border Guards nuts.

Your entire vehicle has been electronically scanned as you drive up to the guard stop. They’ve already found anything being hidden anywhere in the vehicle long before they go in to take a look.
Greg is that true ? Pat
Old 01-16-2019, 06:59 PM   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post

If you want to have some real fun - put a ziplock baggy of flour in there. Or maybe some oregano.

Sorry, couldn't resist!