Modifications to Eggscape - Page 11 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2019, 07:02 PM   #201

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Your entire vehicle has been electronically scanned as you drive up to the guard stop. They’ve already found anything being hidden anywhere in the vehicle long before they go in to take a look.
Probably partially true.... but only at some crossing points, in some lanes.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:05 PM   #202

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Probably partially true.... but only at some crossing points, in some lanes.
Some of us would be in trouble and not mentioning names here if that's true . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:27 PM   #203

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I doubt any of us are privy to the types and methods of electronic surveillance used at the border stations, but I did see the plates and side scan posts at the Sumas crossing to know it is being used.
As Brian said it probably isn’t at all crossings, IE the dingy across the Rio Grande near Big Bend, but it probably is in use at most major crossings.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:01 PM   #204

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21, 2014 Northern Lite slide in, 2014 2500 Duramax
I've passed through about 6 check stations in the past 3 days, they never blinked an eye. Though I did not get routed through the full vehicle (body) scanner 😁
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:17 PM   #205

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Canada Border Services showed off their scanning device at the Port of Vancouver years ago. Just another day in the life of a news photographer.

The device was a huge arm mounted on a truck that covered both sides and the roof of a shipping container.
Nobody was hanging around the device when it was being demonstrated.

Maybe things have changed, but I doubt customs agents are able to see a bag of oregano, hidden in a compartment in your trailer, as you drive up to the window.
There would be an outcry from pregnant women, for one thing.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:20 PM   #206

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I doubt any of us are privy to the types and methods of electronic surveillance used at the border stations, but I did see the plates and side scan posts at the Sumas crossing to know it is being used.
As Brian said it probably isn’t at all crossings, IE the dingy across the Rio Grande near Big Bend, but it probably is in use at most major crossings.
License plate cameras - and now presumably automated plate reading - certainly are common. A scanner is another matter entirely, and there are a lot of minor crossings of the Canada-US border.

Now if people want to assume that they will be electronically searched in detail and so they shouldn't try to hide anything, I'm good with that.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:52 PM   #207

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
More storage for Eggscape

The short story...Like many others I have removed a few panels to expose some more storage space.

The details...Once you know there is more space available it is hard not to want to have it available for the long haul. Having opened up under the furnace and seeing what was available there, I moved onto the next cupboard over, which is under the fridge. The back and left side panel of this cupboard on our trailer did not go all the way to the top. This made it easy to grab the upper right hand corner and gently pull. The staples start popping and the bit of glue rips. The removal did slow up so I had to stick a wide screw driver in behind and give it a few twists. Once the back panel is off you can remove the left side. When the panels are removed you are left with two strips on the floor that will need the screws and nails removed. There is very little damage noticeable from the removal.

Not only do you get a bunch more space but also two great pieces of panelling. The left panel is plenty to fill in that wood frame you removed from the heater and make a door.

How much space you ask? Well let’s talk in a measurement that everyone can undstand...toilet paper. Taking off the rear panel allow the storage of 10 rolls....7 in front 3 in the back. Removing the left side panel allows for another 6 rolls plus some space in front of the fridge drain hose. (I might add this hose dips down and has water in it. I will clamp it in such a way so this drains and does not freeze) That is a total of 16 rolls!

There is also something else to note, and that is, you gain 1.25 inches from the front to the wheel well by removing the rear cabinet wall. Not a big deal unless you want to load in paper towel because it now fits without cramming.

I used toilet paper as an example but I do believe this is a great area for something light. If you start counting up all the metal appliances/stuff on the drivers side of the trailer it does not need anything heavy to be added.

As I am on a roll...I will add that the space under the furnace will hold another 20 rolls. That is a grand total of 36 rolls I could not hold before.

I like that Escape finished off the cabinet under the fridge and I think it would be cheap of them if they didn’t. However, I personally like the extra space and the finish is now no different than in the benches.
Attached Thumbnails
DB4CA4E9-7148-42B6-95E2-3D13130B3E52.jpg   6AA8510C-E5C8-4099-819F-56AFF264AF33.jpg   18F694F5-A1E4-4B5F-AA88-D5B460C32682.jpeg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:09 PM   #208

Hatch locks for Eggscape

The short story...I found these great hatch locks with double sided keys.

The details...A lot of research went into finding just the right hatch locks. The first thing I found out was that most of these filing cabinet style locks do not allow the key to be remove when the lock is unlocked...who knew.

I found this great supplier that offers different depths, removable keys and double sided keys. What I mean about a double sided key is that it has groves on both sides and can be inserted either way. With my last trailer I was always trying to stick the key in the wrong way.

They come in a 5 pack and you must tell the seller what length you need. If you’re going to install them in the hatches I used you will need to order the 38mm ones. They are good quality and have worked very well all year. At $13 for a set of 5, no tax and free shipping...if you have any doubts as to their durability just order a second set. They come keyed alike but it’s worth stating in your size request message that you would like them that way.

I used a small pilot drill then a step drill to make the hole in the lid. The hatch frame requires a notch to be cut into it. As you can see in the photo I ramped the notch so it makes for an easy tight fit. The notch helps protect the leaver so it can still move should an item inside slide up against it. I also replaced the lock on the ETI hatch so one key does all. Speaking of keys, you get 2 per lock so 10 keys.

I have always wondered, out of the 140 Escape trailers that show up at the rally, how many have the same hatch keys.

5 pack of locks link
5 sets , Mailbox locks, Cam Locks,Wardrobe, cupboard locks,Diameter: 23MM,Thread Length: 16mm 20mm 25mm 30mm 38mm-in Locks from Home Improvement on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Attached Thumbnails
FA0D7AB9-B14F-4F1B-8958-36CDD5391A31.jpg   C9028CF9-F25F-4655-AD66-70798F4E921E.jpg   E3D888A0-E489-4A57-98BA-70033E7F8254.jpg   1BE70949-FDFF-44C3-8C3C-8C3D4F689E44.jpg   10116C95-9280-4DEE-B66E-8215AAE06259.jpg  

AE6CDB4D-A78E-485A-8C1D-C56E79654321.jpeg  

Old 01-18-2019, 09:22 PM   #209

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Company issued us lockers and keys. I couldn't be bothered to carry the key so I just yanked on the locker handle, easily bending the latch. So easy to open and close after that.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:48 PM   #210

Front drivers side electrical hatch for Eggscape

The short story...To feed the electrical cord into the trailer I installed another marine hatch, this time over the waste tank.

The details...Within the first few weeks of getting our trailer I installed the same model of marine hatch on the front driver side as I had done on the passenger side. This was my plan from the start and I had ETI not install the standard push through cord hatch when building Eggscape. If you looked at the build pictures you can see my cord coming out the open passenger side rear hatch.

Before I installed the hatch, I modified it with a slot to accommodate the electrical cord. To keep it sealed when not in use I made an aluminium door out of some angle stock, that hinges down to fill the void. I covered the aluminium with white foam to make for a good seal. The electrical cord is now wired directly into the rear of the panel.

I have mention this before but I will explain again why this location for the cord. During our coast to coast cross Canada trip in our stick trailer we ran across multiple times when the the power post was either up front at the road, or mid way between the camp sites...in the bush. If the post is located in the normal position at the drivers rear then this front exiting location still works fine. However if the post is where, what I like to call ‘non standard’ at the front or sides, you need every inch you can get, sometimes even with an extension. This last year on the way to the Boler 50th I made a reservation at Victoria Park to power and water up the night before. When I got there around 4 pm the park was full and only my reserved sight was left. The power pole was in front of my truck. Good thing I also had a super long water hose as well.

I like the fact that I only have to take out as much cord as I need and the rest stays dry, clean and neatly coiled in the hatch. There is also room to store the 220 v, 120 v extension cords, adapters and a very long water hose. It has worked very well this past year of camping.
Attached Thumbnails
47FB4E1E-E121-4720-80FF-89184A83A449.jpg   1982155A-6F16-434D-A6E1-377144888366.jpg   1B20FC5F-9455-41AB-807E-1D46EBED68D8.jpg   7F6ADB71-726F-417E-AB49-F475C88D26E5.jpg   8E6EAC52-9736-402D-8705-5BA670466693.jpg  

3006B33D-2B84-4D8B-B992-9AC03C4518DC.jpg   C7F897AC-EE60-42D9-B290-CE603460329E.jpg   41460755-5C7E-4605-9199-714E9F8AB106.jpg  

Old 01-20-2019, 11:29 PM   #211

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
I have always wondered, out of the 140 Escape trailers that show up at the rally, how many have the same hatch keys.

All are keyed the same, and work in many other RV's. My neighbor recently drove home with his new purchase, a 20 year old camper in great condition (had been stored in a barn for years.). He had no key for the hatches. ours worked perfectly!
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:51 PM   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
The short story...I found these great hatch locks with double sided keys.

The details...A lot of research went into finding just the right hatch locks. The first thing I found out was that most of these filing cabinet style locks do not allow the key to be remove when the lock is unlocked...who knew.

I found this great supplier that offers different depths, removable keys and double sided keys. What I mean about a double sided key is that it has groves on both sides and can be inserted either way. With my last trailer I was always trying to stick the key in the wrong way.

They come in a 5 pack and you must tell the seller what length you need. If you’re going to install them in the hatches I used you will need to order the 38mm ones. They are good quality and have worked very well all year. At $13 for a set of 5, no tax and free shipping...if you have any doubts as to their durability just order a second set. They come keyed alike but it’s worth stating in your size request message that you would like them that way.

I used a small pilot drill then a step drill to make the hole in the lid. The hatch frame requires a notch to be cut into it. As you can see in the photo I ramped the notch so it makes for an easy tight fit. The notch helps protect the leaver so it can still move should an item inside slide up against it. I also replaced the lock on the ETI hatch so one key does all. Speaking of keys, you get 2 per lock so 10 keys.

5 pack of locks link
5 sets , Mailbox locks, Cam Locks,Wardrobe, cupboard locks,Diameter: 23MM,Thread Length: 16mm 20mm 25mm 30mm 38mm-in Locks from Home Improvement on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Not ours I changed the lock ! Pat
Old 01-21-2019, 02:08 AM   #213

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
All are keyed the same, and work in many other RV's. My neighbor recently drove home with his new purchase, a 20 year old camper in great condition (had been stored in a barn for years.). He had no key for the hatches. ours worked perfectly!
Yes, this seems crazy, but replacements are available:
https://shoprvlocks.com/
Old 01-21-2019, 06:42 AM   #214

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
There is good reason the hatches are universally keyed, particularly if your door lock malfunctions or you lock your keys inside or lose them......just like the commercial...
"like a good neighbor........"
Old 01-21-2019, 05:28 PM   #215

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Not ours I changed the lock ! Pat

Me too, I also changed the cargo lid lock to match the door.
Mine is now a pattern not sold to manufactures.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 05:49 PM   #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
Me too, I also changed the cargo lid lock to match the door.
Mine is now a pattern not sold to manufactures.
Pat
Old 01-23-2019, 06:46 PM   #217

Window fans for Eggscape

The short story...I was able to install these low power fans in each of the front side windows.

The details...Sometimes my wife likes a little breeze...sometimes I like a little breeze and sometimes we both do. We find it much more efficient and less noise to use theses individual fans directly on us as we sit at the table than the roof fan. We found them well worth the $4 each on scorching hot days this last summer when there was no ac.

As you can see in the photos the fan is mounted in the corner between the glass and the screen of the awning style windows. This way there is no chance of my granddaughters long hair getting sucked in. I drilled two holes in the frame and attached the fan with two 3/16 machine screws, 1 inch long. You can screw them directly into the holes on the fan and they cut the threads as they go. It makes for a real secure, non loosening, nut free fit. I cut two of the corners off the fan then put it up against a disc sander to round the corners further...but that is not necessary. The fan size is 120mm by 120mm by 25 mm and is very common with a rating of 30,000 hours.

Where you place the switch and get your power is up to you. I placed my switch on the back side of the Captains light base and got the power from there as well.

Of course you can put one or two fans in any of your trailers windows...just don’t do the bedroom window until you see my upcoming post on that.

Here are some links with best prices as of this posting. I have included pictures of the price so you can find similar in the future.

Fan. Cooling Big Drop CPU NEW video Cooler promotion 120MM 120x120mm 12V PC shipping Portable for Computer card Cooler Fan 12CM fan-in Fans from Home Appliances on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

5 Switches. 5Pcs/Set Mini DS 425A Self Locking SPST Push Button Switch 1.5A 250V/3A 125V S08 Drop ship-in Switches from Lights & Lighting on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Attached Thumbnails
252876BC-65CC-49D8-9C5B-E5800547EADB.jpg   DFFAA4FA-1BB7-49D9-B919-6AE580E745C3.jpg   A9834CEE-4B37-478A-8937-4C02BE0D4491.jpg   0A0FCB22-D32E-49B8-88EA-E6E14B679E03.jpg   BCFFEBE6-2BC5-4EEC-A4A6-9BD1B358E746.jpg  

Old 01-27-2019, 12:34 PM   #218

Clip on outside table for Eggscape

The short story...I built a removable table that hinges on the outside of the trailer for about $40

The details...Our last trailer was a used stick trailer that came with an expensive, but now obsolete, Thule outside table option. Being attached to the trailer meant it was instantly level and there were no dirty legs to worry about. However, using the 2 huge clips that were on the trailer was a bit of a pain to clip in and out of and the mounded in rear back splash also made it more difficult to store than it need to be. We used the Thule to cook on every day on our cross Canada trip and was great staying at friends or places that did not have a picnic table. Like many of you, we have a table with legs, but ours is heavy and needs to be stored in the truck. I wanted to make a similar light weight clip on table that I could easily store in the trailer.

The search was on for a table top that anybody could buy so you could also make a table. My search ended when I found the perfect top for $11 at IKEA with a product name of ALGOT and number of 302.185.83. It is made of steal and very strong but amazingly light for its 31.5 by 15 inch size. I installed plastic bumpers and red flags on the bottom edge to protect children from running into it. I knew it would be a tough sell drilling holes into the side of your trailer so I designed the table to be secured to the hatch frame. It can be attached with as little as two new holes in the frame and has a comfortable 35 inch work height.

I made custom hinges out of some thick, old 3/4 inch wide brackets but you could also use steal or stainless steel bar stock. They stand out from the table which allows it to fold up for access to the hatch or down and out of the way. My next post will show how you can build it with some store bought hinges. The hinge side on the table uses a secured 1/4 inch stainless steel machine screw on each side that slides into a hole on trailer side. To make for easy alignment the screw on the right is longer than on the left. Put the right screw in the hole first then line up the the left...quick and easy. I put a wing nut on the short screw just so the table doesn’t fly off if somebody bumps it.

The U shaped leg support slides into the gap at the bottom of the hatch for quick attachment. It is bent out of $9 worth of 5/16 inch threaded rod and has a $4 turn buckle on each end. The turnbuckles make for ease of construction and fine tuning to level the table. I painted the rod, then covered it in optional heat shrink tubing. The leg just sits against the under center support of the table. If you don’t have a vise to hold the rod while bending, you can use your vehicle hitch hole protected with rolled cardboard.

I added optional aluminium straps to the underside which gives a little extra support and provides hooks on either end. I also did a stress test of the completed table as nobody wants a collapse with a flaming stove and a pot of scolding water. The photos show a truly Canadain way to prove that the stress test was done over time using a 35 lb cinder block.
Attached Thumbnails
CA231426-1102-48AB-B977-7C3A311650F2.jpg   475AB6FF-08AD-4ACD-81F7-8D02D43D8C91.jpg   F33F9C1D-F900-4C77-B03C-24BDBF5A0AC3.jpg   1CE34758-BC03-446B-884B-B389E31322FC.jpg   C1402DE4-6685-4678-AF0C-DFD3A62648F5.jpg  

BAA0F388-F15A-4E73-8957-D04ACA59B261.jpg   D7413269-767E-404A-AAEC-CBAB03C42B25.jpg   241EB167-724F-4CC5-A2C8-DF7474A16026.jpg  

Old 01-27-2019, 01:27 PM   #219

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I had installed one of those Thule shelves on my T@da, Thule stopped making it and now I miss it.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:15 PM   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I had installed one of those Thule shelves on my T@da, Thule stopped making it and now I miss it.
Exactly

Before I get into the next post and the details of how to attach the the table with store bought hinges, I just wanted to share a few more photos and links.

The table fits easily in the closet and only takes up only 1 inch. We have an old pillow case that goes over the table if we do not have time to clean it well.

IKEA shelf. https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/p...ery=302.185.83

Remove before flight aprox $1.16 Relodi Remove Before Flight Keychain Trendy Keyring Embroidery Polyester Fabric Key Protector Commemorative Key Chains SP0978-in Key Chains from Jewelry & Accessories on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Corner protectors aprox $2.50. 5pcs Clear Corner Protectors Baby Safety Strong Adhesive Gel Baby Proofing Corner Guards Cushion Bumpers Children Safety Edge-in Edge & Corner Guards from Mother & Kids on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Attached Thumbnails
6A2B464E-ECD1-4AF0-AB5F-B5B66A4CF607.jpg   4CF5EB03-205E-4AA6-9E3A-AF722CEB0F6C.jpg   123209CB-2FFE-4FBD-8BCD-150B99623FB0.jpg   A485F818-BA98-40C2-A5FF-333AC75837EC.jpg