Modifications to Eggscape - Page 11 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2018, 11:48 PM   #101

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Clipboard wind block and splatter shield

The short story...I decided to use vintage aluminium clipboards to block the wind from cooling my outside cooking.

The details...I find that when I cook outside with my hot plate or mini frying pan that a wind can really slow things down. There is no problem when cooking on the Coleman gas stove as it has wind wings that can be deployed from the lid. This has been a project I’ve wanted to do for a few years but never seem to remember until the wind blows.

I had an idea to use a couple of cookie sheets and wanted to write it down. As I was flipping open my clipboard the idea became instantly obsolete. Why not just use a clipboard? Just so happens I have two legal size ones ready for the task...no modifications required. You can even clip in your favourite recipe card for viewing. They are from the 70’s when Canada actually made small stuff. As for what clipboards and recipe cards are, the youngsters are just going to have to Google it.

I think the clipboards are going to make great splatter shields as well as keeping the side of the trailer cleaner. I think that one clipboard would do the trick but I will take both along. Who knows, I may need something to write on.

You might be thinking from the pictures that the hot plate looks brand new. You’re right...the old one is not suitable for public viewing and is now slated for a smoker project at the cabin.

Hopefully you can find a clipboard in a thrift store and repurpose it.

Good luck

Old 12-06-2018, 12:05 PM   #102

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose"
Very clever! Love how it holds the recipe card.

Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:33 PM   #103

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
so clever! i love it when things can be repurposed like that! I have used a folding screen with my outdoor one burner coleman...sorta like this: https://www.amazon.com/Ohuhu-Camp-St...6NE5QHRVQKR1T7
Old 12-06-2018, 12:48 PM   #104

A folding screen would work for a reasonable price so it is not worth getting to extravagant on a used clipboard. I just wanted something a bit bigger and maybe more stable in the wind.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:00 AM   #105

LEDs in switch plates to indicate power is on.

The short story...I installed one LED light in each of the outside light and awning switch plates to indicate when the power is on. The LEDs not only light up the switch for easy location in the dark but are also pointed down so they light the doorway. Well worth the 30 cents.

Cautionary note:
The pins on the back of the switches have been bent to a severe angle to accommodate the wire connectors within the thin wall cavity. Caution should be used when removing the switch(s) as the connectors can get hung up behind the wall and break off the fatigued terminals on the back of the switch. Pull the double switch out until the wires stop at the wall, then slide the switch up or down tipping out the opposite side.
For the awning switch slightly rotate it left or right to take advantage of the cross corner length.

The details...I wanted to install an LED to indicate if the outside light had been mistakenly turned on during the day. I also wanted a reminder LED to turn off the power awning when not in use. I can only imagine the damage if the remote control fell on the floor, deploying the awning while driving. Well worth the 15 cent LEDs. I also thought it would be good if the LED would light up the switch and the floor in the dark.

There was no modification needed to the switch or the switch holder itself. (Unless you are OCD and require the LEDs to be centered. Then you will have to carve away some of the holder). The LED wires fit nicely through a rectangle in the switch near the screw hole. Only the switch plate required a 3/16 hole for the 5mm LED which I drilled in the bottom. The upper plate has the hole more so towards the bottom than the lower awning switch. This ensures the LEDs are pointed toward the floor.

I enlarged the holes in the switch lugs as I prefer to solder directly to them and not use the spade connectors. I was still able to solder to the single awning switch where the lug had broken off the rear while removing it from the wall. All the wires are aligned in one direction before soldering and zap strapped together to support each other. With all the wires in one direction it makes it much easier to reinstall. (During disassemble one spade connector did fall off the wire so I stuck it back on the wire just to show in the picture that it was crimped). As a precaution against vibration and to act as strain relief for the fatigued terminals, I covered the connections in hot glue making them one with the switch. (An old off roaders trick)

There is no ground in the area only positive wires to be switched. I was able to get a ground from the rear of ETI latest stove with electric start. I hooked up the grounds to the LEDs first then I could touch the red LED wire to find which trailer wire was hot and which was not.

Here is a link to purchase 10 - 5mm - 12 volt LEDS for $1.26 Canadian with free shipping. (Canadians make sure the shipping is free as the postal strike has made the shipping erratic on some products.) If you use this site expect 30 to 60 days for it to arrive.
10 100pcs lot 20cm Pre Wired 3mm 5mm LED Light Lamp Bulb Prewired Emitting Diodes For DIY Home Decoration DC12V -in Light Beads from Lights & Lighting on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Here are some construction photos below. The final product will be pictured in my next post.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:01 AM   #106

Finished product.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:09 AM   #107
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape 21'LE DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Great write up and explanation of potential issues re: bent prongs. My only change would be red led vs the white, particularly if in a 21 with the bed closer to these switches. I'm planning ahead and having 12v runs in most areas, so that may ease future changes. BTW, they offer shrouds for these little LEDs if you wanted to dim them a little or direct the light somewhat.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:09 PM   #108

Thanks...
In the 21 you might want to use the smaller red 3mm LED and have it come out the side towards the door lock...pointed away from the bed.
I forgot to mention that the LED does not have to stick out that much. It is a press fit in the plastic and can be pushed back so your not looking directly at the element. Failing that you can also add a drop of black paint in the direction that maybe irritating you.