Modifications to Eggscape - Page 21 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2019, 02:13 PM   #401

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Techfan track

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
The first awning by Eggscape failed my wife's acceptance but this one passed. She made an awning from sun-worthy fabric and we mounted it using a track like Techfan. We are getting ready for a trip so I am testing the refrigerator. Our parking spot has the trailer with the refrigerator wall facing west so it gets afternoon sun. I ran the refrigerator without the awning with the outside temperature about 95 degrees F and it only cooled to about 44 degrees. With the awning, it is cooling to 38 degrees so this project is a success for us.
Thanks for the information. I would like to build an awning for my refrigerator also. However, I was unable to find the track you are using on the web. Could post more information for ordering it?

Do you fasten the awning base to the trailer to keep it from blowing around in a wind?

Thanks
Old 07-13-2019, 08:15 PM   #402

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
Thanks for the information. I would like to build an awning for my refrigerator also. However, I was unable to find the track you are using on the web. Could post more information for ordering it?

Do you fasten the awning base to the trailer to keep it from blowing around in a wind?

Thanks
The track is from Sailrite
https://www.sailrite.com/Awning-Track-Flanged-White-48

We followed the information on the original post and fastened the awning base to the trailer with suction cups. We found these on Amazon
Adams Manufacturing 6000-74-3040 2-1/2-Inch Suction Cup Hook, Large, 2-Pack
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 03:15 PM   #403

wall hanging storage

Can you tell me where you purchased your wall hanging storage, it's such a great idea. Also, how did you attach them.
balldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:48 PM   #404

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by balldt View Post
Can you tell me where you purchased your wall hanging storage, it's such a great idea. Also, how did you attach them.
I get them from AliExpress which is a very large mail order site.
Here are the active links to the small and mid size units.
The larger unit is no longer available.

I was so impressed with the quality of the pocket panels I screwed them in place as l expect them to last many years. I had some of the tan plastic caps left over so I used them to cover the screw heads.

For more info on the subject if you are just checking into this thread for the first time...check out post numbers 238.

XINAHER Cotton Linen Hanging Storage Bag 5 Pockets Wall Mounted Wardrobe Hanging Bag Wall Pouch Cosmetic Toys Organizer-in Hanging Organizers from Home & Garden on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Jute large 8 pocket finishing bags Wall Hanging Storage Bag Hanging Bags Multi Fluid Systems Pouch new design storage bag-in Storage Bags from Home & Garden on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Attached Thumbnails
CACEC4E0-DBE7-419B-B970-6358D857B412.jpg   3EE73FAE-A46C-40C9-B7EA-9EC5F0A9C1A8.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:14 AM   #405

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Short story...I installed a stainless steel type pendant LED light over the dinette for under $10.
I just reached this page in your ingenious mods before noting that many require additional support behind the walls. You've clearly worked all over your trailer, so I expect that you'll know the answer to the following question:

As I'm purchasing a 17B and concerned about weight, (smaller tow vehicle which I love and plan to keep), which walls (including ceiling) would you say absolutely need the additional support - whether or not I attach anything to them? Love, love, love your mods but must forego several of them if added weight is going to be an issue for me.

Thanks!
Ava
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:37 AM   #406

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Ava,
The op in this thread has an E19 trailer, totally different than your 17B unit which you asked the same here http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...ers-15839.html
Old 07-26-2019, 11:37 AM   #407

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightday View Post
I just reached this page in your ingenious mods before noting that many require additional support behind the walls. You've clearly worked all over your trailer, so I expect that you'll know the answer to the following question:

As I'm purchasing a 17B and concerned about weight, (smaller tow vehicle which I love and plan to keep), which walls (including ceiling) would you say absolutely need the additional support - whether or not I attach anything to them? Love, love, love your mods but must forego several of them if added weight is going to be an issue for me.

Thanks!
Ava
In our 19 I did not get any additional supports added and it has worked out fine. I can only see additional supports/backing being required if you know exactly where you want a TV mount or grab handle.
Hope you enjoy planing for your new 17B.

Old 07-26-2019, 11:51 AM   #408

Quote:
In our 19 I did not get any additional supports added and it has worked out fine. I can only see additional supports/backing being required if you know exactly where you want a TV mount or grab handle.
Hope you enjoy planing for your new 17B.
Blessings! And thanks so much for your gracious response! Maybe I'll get to implement some of your mods after all! 🌻🌻🌻
Old 07-26-2019, 12:01 PM   #409

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Ava,
The op in this thread has an E19 trailer, totally different than your 17B unit which you asked the same here http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...ers-15839.html
Yes, I'm aware of that, cpaharley2008, but as I've gotten conflicting opinions about this issue, I specifically sought Eggscape's advice. After all, considering the number of mods he's implemented all over his Escape, he must surely know better than most about its structure, and I rather much doubt that his 19' walls are supported any differently than those in the 17'.

Whatever the case, Eggscape graciously responded, so I am finally satisfied with that item of my build sheet. Only about five more to go before I'm finished!
Old 08-10-2019, 12:09 PM   #410

Kinter MA-120 music player/radio

The short story...I installed a Kinter MA-120 MP3 player so that we could play our music, which is saved on a USB flash drive.

The details...I had been using one of these players in the garage to play our saved music for over a year before we ordered our trailer. I knew it was the player I wanted to install. It costs about $24 Canadian or less than the tax that is payed on the $400 Escape unit.

It comes with a remote that does everything but turn it on. You will have to do that manually. That is not necessarily a bad thing as the player is not using any power in standby mode waiting for you to hit the power button on the remote. The unit also comes with an external remote-eye for the remote control to trigger. This means you can mount the player around a corner or in a cabinet and close the door. As long as the remote-eye is placed in a location for the remote to see...all will work.

There are two inputs on the front for music that is saved on media. There is also an input on the rear if your music is on your phone or a music player like an iPod. The FM radio has presets if you stay in one spot long enough and the antenna on the rear works right through the fiberglass shell. The power output is good for the size of the trailer and powers my large speakers great...just don’t expect it to drive 80 watt speakers.

I used the tabs on the unit to mount ours on a shelf I made (see post #127) above the bed in our 19. This is close to the speakers (see post #109) for ease of install. I also like the convenience of being able to reach up and operate the player manually while in bed. With the remote eye wired just above the unit, I can operate the unit from the front dinette of our 19 as well.

One key operational note: With our two year old player you must select the first song again once the player has played the list of songs on the media. You will know when to do this as the last song will start to repeat. Just press 001 on the remote and the list of songs will play again.

I have included multiple links for the Kinter MA-120 sold by a few sellers in case one seller runs out of stock.

High quality Hot sale 2015 NEW Kinter MA120 MINI USB FM Radio FREE SHIPPING Car Motorcycle Amplifier Digital Audio MP3 Player-in Stereo Amplifiers from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Kinter MA 120 12V 2CH HIFI Car Power Amplifier FM Radio Stereo Music Player Support USB SD DVD MP3 Input for Auto Motorcycle-in Stereo Amplifiers from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

2015 new mini car Kinter HI FI digital MA 120 USB FM digital power amplifier small power amplifier power adapter-in Stereo Amplifiers from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Attached Thumbnails
DD4D8D55-1357-4AD1-9E2C-B9F8BD909E18.jpg   43075AC3-365C-4993-9FA5-BF3283DB63BF.jpeg   7AB9DB17-72BC-451E-A3C7-04E61D6BD0EF.jpg   066611BB-F572-44ED-BC5B-DC9DE336AA88.jpg   DAFD8775-5D8F-40FD-B2C3-33ED682D5432.jpg  

Old 09-28-2019, 01:47 PM   #411

Bathroom Mat

The short story...Like many Escape owners before me, I decided to add a little softness to our bathroom floor with a removable anti-fatigue foam mat.

The details...It has always been in the back of my mind to add one of theses mats...more so when stepping on the cold hard bathroom floor in the middle of the night.

My wife happened across an unopened 4 pack of mats for sale at a very reasonable price on Facebook MarketPlace. They are a great looking marble-like finish that we had not seen before. The only mats of this kind that I had noticed in stores were either black or each mat in the four pack being a different wild colour.

Since we are usually in socked feet or slippers I don’t anticipate many rocks getting under the mat and harming the floor...but it is something we watch for. We also usually remove the mat to reveal the drain when we have a shower and to keep anything mysterious from growing in the possible dampness below. However we have showered with it in place so that we could clean it...then removed it to dry. The saw tooth edge of the mat allows the water to flow to the drain...as long as you don’t place your foot over the drain to make a seal.

One of the 24 inch by 24 inch mats covers the bathroom floor of a 19. I added the 2 included edge strips to finish off the side and front edge. Getting 4 in a package means there are 3 more new mats in our future.
Attached Thumbnails
28ECD44B-199A-4D3D-9BD3-A079FFF29B80.jpg   A2AE1DE7-5A75-4C84-A0D6-A12AEA7D3079.jpg   F4848133-AC9C-4A38-AF41-A53A189DBC31.jpeg   EA6E18FF-B0EF-48E8-8EDC-A33556128830.jpg   EB9AB74B-FA09-4FF9-BBE7-209B7061ABFB.jpg  

AA2FEAA5-97CA-4BF0-AE75-D0F9BCE52A99.jpg  

Old 09-28-2019, 06:14 PM   #412

Quote:
The short story...Like many Escape owners before me, I decided to add a little softness to our bathroom floor with a removable anti-fatigue foam mat.

The details...It has always been in the back of my mind to add one of theses mats...more so when stepping on the cold hard bathroom floor in the middle of the night.

My wife happened across an unopened 4 pack of mats for sale at a very reasonable price on Facebook MarketPlace. They are a great looking marble-like finish that we had not seen before. The only mats of this kind that I had noticed in stores were either black or each mat in the four pack being a different wild colour.

Since we are usually in socked feet or slippers I don’t anticipate many rocks getting under the mat and harming the floor...but it is something we watch for. We also usually remove the mat to reveal the drain when we have a shower and to keep anything mysterious from growing in the possible dampness below. However we have showered with it in place so that we could clean it...then removed it to dry. The saw tooth edge of the mat allows the water to flow to the drain...as long as you don’t place your foot over the drain to make a seal.

One of the 24 inch by 24 inch mats covers the bathroom floor of a 19. I added the 2 included edge strips to finish off the side and front edge. Getting 4 in a package means there are 3 more new mats in our future.

I bought a 4-piece package of the black thinking that the mats might be used for various purposes - beneath my feet at the stove or beneath my knees when kneeling on gravel surfaces, but I suspected other uses might be made of them. Yours is a good one. The marble is really nice looking, but black will have to do me for the first little while, because I'm heading up to Chilliwack in less than two weeks.

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 10-17-2019, 09:28 PM   #413

Off Season Foam Flooring

The short story...We liked the feel of the bathroom mat so much we jumped at the opportunity when someone wanted to give us 8 wood grain look tiles.

The details...Early last winter when I was doing a lot of modifications inside our Escape, I quickly found that it was much nicer on my sock feet to stand on the thick foam kneeling pad than on the bare floor. Even with the heat on in the trailer, the bare floor always felt cold.

I have cut these 8 - 2 ft x 2ft sheets of wood grain anti-fatigue mats to fit the floor of our 19 for when we use it in the colder shoulder seasons. 8 sheets, or 2 packs of 4 as they usually are sold, fit from the bed to our raised front dining area. Another pack would finish the dining section off with some to spare.

A little thought on the layout, a straight edge, sharp knife and cutting board is all it takes. I have marked the edges to mate up with the next mat so it all goes back together fast. I did not want to mark the bottom as it looks good and it may be used on a future project should the upper side deteriorate or we upgrade.

I did not install it for it’s looks, but for the warmth and great feel under foot. It is also easy on the knees should you have to get down and look deep into one of the cupboards.

I did a quick image search of “wood grain anti fatigue mats” to find a big selection to choose from. Personally, I like the slate tile or cork look with barn wood close behind.

Because it feels so good, I think the question is going to be if we bother taking it out for the summer.
Attached Thumbnails
59041522-DAAC-4932-BF68-8F58DF2BD047.jpg   B13D45B5-F98C-4F25-9B60-ABCC3DE5B630.jpg   0A457BA9-F575-401F-94CE-E85F345A63F3.jpg   7AA768F1-4DDE-44BA-97C1-114F5AADEA6C.jpg   2F20155C-0A7E-4297-9A25-DCA494E8955D.jpg  

2B6F747B-0852-4336-96F8-DB105C9C8545.jpeg  

Old 10-18-2019, 02:01 AM   #414

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Ok, Favorite thread status now

So many good ideas, but I have never seen the wood grain click mats. What a great idea, insulating the floor and soft on the feet.

Thumbs up
Old 10-18-2019, 07:03 AM   #415

There goes my custom floor from Olson's in Chilliwack.....cushion is nice. I wonder if dog nails would harm it?
Old 10-18-2019, 07:10 AM   #416

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
There goes my custom floor from Olson's in Chilliwack.....cushion is nice. I wonder if dog nails would harm it?
Just keep yours trimmed. Everything will be cool.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:31 PM   #417

What are people’s thoughts on the risk of moisture - either through spills/leaks/etc or through condensation due to temperature differentials between the flooring and the mats?
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:33 PM   #418

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
What are people’s thoughts on the risk of moisture - either through spills/leaks/etc or through condensation due to temperature differentials between the flooring and the mats?
You have to be careful with moisture. I don’t think the condensation would be that big a deal but you want to be aware of any leaks. I really like that click flooring with the hardwood finish but would leave a gap around the edges to watch for water. My 17b had a few leaks that I caught right away. The toilet connection loosened off, the water pump I learned loosens off and should be checked yearly, my bathroom vent (9” old style) dripped a bit, and the gasket shrunk up a bit and started leaking on the small fixed window (at the glass, not the fibreglass). These were all really minor issues on a 12 year old trailer.

I put pieces of cardboard in my lower cabinets on the floor as they soak up any water, change color and make it obvious there is a problem. Also, always store the trailer with the nose all the way down so worst case scenario, the water makes it’s way to the corners and into the pontoons and out.

You want to talk about leaks, my 2005 Forest River 28Qb, didn’t matter what I did, that slide, oh, you get the idea.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:50 PM   #419

Truck Bed Tray

The short story...I made a tray for my generator to sit on so it easily slides out for use without having to remove it from the truck.

The details...Keeping it simple and inexpensive, I just needed a bed tray to pull out enabling me to ventilate the generator while in use. I also needed it low enough that I could use my big black pvc type storage box under the bed cover. The generator is secured and locked to the tray so it does not move.

I was able to make it out of one sheet of plywood, some surplus wheels from Princess Auto and a bit of aluminium angle. Installing it is as simple as rolling it in. There are no holes in the truck bed and it has walls so stuff doesn’t fall off the sides or front. The two wheels at the rear side also allow me to wheel it around the garage floor and tip it up on the front side for the odd time I remove it.

It is very simple to build so the pictures should give you the information you need to build your own. The only key point to explain is how the wheels are held on. Between the wood side and the wheel I installed a tee/star nut. This serves two purposes...first, it allows the wheel to run against it and not the wood. Second, along with the nut on the inside, it locks the wheel bolt in place with the correct slack for the wheel to turn.

Depending on where you place the load (generator not installed), it will slide out a foot or two beyond the tailgate for general use. For us it is great as firewood placed at the front, slides under the aluminium bed box and is easily retrieved.

I have used it for two years now and would not change a thing.
Attached Thumbnails
42204AF3-DF73-49A7-B55A-E2403A99ED8A.jpg   9EAD20DB-E1AF-4629-9FF1-36D32ADE4015.jpg   B3625493-EDEF-4F62-BF46-01283CF78C59.jpg   78F82CB9-D8F1-4F34-97F7-E03222284C88.jpg   EAF40842-950B-4C18-AD01-85573E5C6486.jpg  

5EF9E411-65E5-4997-B394-8BDDBC3BBD8B.jpg   325720B3-C4E9-4A41-BB81-65B876342403.jpg   0C81ED21-6AB0-4D0B-8C83-15D57C9BF374.jpg  

Old 11-16-2019, 06:20 AM   #420

I like the reflective tape on the outward facing rear side...nice touch.