Modifications to Eggscape - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-05-2018, 10:48 PM   #101

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Clipboard wind block and splatter shield

The short story...I decided to use vintage aluminium clipboards to block the wind from cooling my outside cooking.

The details...I find that when I cook outside with my hot plate or mini frying pan that a wind can really slow things down. There is no problem when cooking on the Coleman gas stove as it has wind wings that can be deployed from the lid. This has been a project I’ve wanted to do for a few years but never seem to remember until the wind blows.

I had an idea to use a couple of cookie sheets and wanted to write it down. As I was flipping open my clipboard the idea became instantly obsolete. Why not just use a clipboard? Just so happens I have two legal size ones ready for the task...no modifications required. You can even clip in your favourite recipe card for viewing. They are from the 70’s when Canada actually made small stuff. As for what clipboards and recipe cards are, the youngsters are just going to have to Google it.

I think the clipboards are going to make great splatter shields as well as keeping the side of the trailer cleaner. I think that one clipboard would do the trick but I will take both along. Who knows, I may need something to write on.

You might be thinking from the pictures that the hot plate looks brand new. You’re right...the old one is not suitable for public viewing and is now slated for a smoker project at the cabin.

Hopefully you can find a clipboard in a thrift store and repurpose it.

Good luck
Attached Thumbnails
03648E8A-7A04-4D95-8C5B-54EFBBC34B4F.jpg   855815CA-5A29-4D24-BB66-AFE82919C650.jpg   C429B161-2F37-4E85-9E79-5AFF3AA99497.jpg   48380EDD-6567-4587-93C1-C32594288649.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:05 AM   #102

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
Very clever! Love how it holds the recipe card.
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:33 AM   #103

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
so clever! i love it when things can be repurposed like that! I have used a folding screen with my outdoor one burner coleman...sorta like this: https://www.amazon.com/Ohuhu-Camp-St...6NE5QHRVQKR1T7
Old 12-06-2018, 11:48 AM   #104

A folding screen would work for a reasonable price so it is not worth getting to extravagant on a used clipboard. I just wanted something a bit bigger and maybe more stable in the wind.

Old 12-08-2018, 11:00 PM   #105

LEDs in switch plates to indicate power is on.

The short story...I installed one LED light in each of the outside light and awning switch plates to indicate when the power is on. The LEDs not only light up the switch for easy location in the dark but are also pointed down so they light the doorway. Well worth the 30 cents.

Cautionary note:
The pins on the back of the switches have been bent to a severe angle to accommodate the wire connectors within the thin wall cavity. Caution should be used when removing the switch(s) as the connectors can get hung up behind the wall and break off the fatigued terminals on the back of the switch. Pull the double switch out until the wires stop at the wall, then slide the switch up or down tipping out the opposite side.
For the awning switch slightly rotate it left or right to take advantage of the cross corner length.

The details...I wanted to install an LED to indicate if the outside light had been mistakenly turned on during the day. I also wanted a reminder LED to turn off the power awning when not in use. I can only imagine the damage if the remote control fell on the floor, deploying the awning while driving. Well worth the 15 cent LEDs. I also thought it would be good if the LED would light up the switch and the floor in the dark.

There was no modification needed to the switch or the switch holder itself. (Unless you are OCD and require the LEDs to be centered. Then you will have to carve away some of the holder). The LED wires fit nicely through a rectangle in the switch near the screw hole. Only the switch plate required a 3/16 hole for the 5mm LED which I drilled in the bottom. The upper plate has the hole more so towards the bottom than the lower awning switch. This ensures the LEDs are pointed toward the floor.

I enlarged the holes in the switch lugs as I prefer to solder directly to them and not use the spade connectors. I was still able to solder to the single awning switch where the lug had broken off the rear while removing it from the wall. All the wires are aligned in one direction before soldering and zap strapped together to support each other. With all the wires in one direction it makes it much easier to reinstall. (During disassemble one spade connector did fall off the wire so I stuck it back on the wire just to show in the picture that it was crimped). As a precaution against vibration and to act as strain relief for the fatigued terminals, I covered the connections in hot glue making them one with the switch. (An old off roaders trick)

There is no ground in the area only positive wires to be switched. I was able to get a ground from the rear of ETI latest stove with electric start. I hooked up the grounds to the LEDs first then I could touch the red LED wire to find which trailer wire was hot and which was not.

Here is a link to purchase 10 - 5mm - 12 volt LEDS for $1.26 Canadian with free shipping. (Canadians make sure the shipping is free as the postal strike has made the shipping erratic on some products.) If you use this site expect 30 to 60 days for it to arrive.
10 100pcs lot 20cm Pre Wired 3mm 5mm LED Light Lamp Bulb Prewired Emitting Diodes For DIY Home Decoration DC12V -in Light Beads from Lights & Lighting on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Here are some construction photos below. The final product will be pictured in my next post.
Attached Thumbnails
62AB015B-96DC-41C9-8AD4-5B046D49EBA6.jpg   E7F15FFE-8CF4-4F04-BB4D-03C1DCB566AB.jpeg   3DB4E42D-0881-4109-A072-940E78828C90.jpg   BFBB0445-067E-4C04-B442-1630E0B7A398.jpg   529CBF84-8CBF-4FFC-A07C-46E089DE3747.jpg  

A1A830AE-93EA-4B17-B8BC-FA3807BEEA8C.jpg   182CF3F6-1BB2-4A3A-AF99-02069A74A5B8.jpg   FB2328D9-3553-4F2D-9803-7D73817541BE.jpg  

Old 12-08-2018, 11:01 PM   #106

Finished product.
Attached Thumbnails
FC1D9FF9-B662-4C15-9393-4DD268E9E0B2.jpeg   10538AF1-823B-48AF-90BC-7B27B3E9C510.jpeg   714902A1-39A9-4DA3-B2EA-4796DFB130A0.jpg   D31E3D78-ED53-4F41-A3E5-E4CC5E61E3AD.jpg  

Old 12-09-2018, 07:09 AM   #107

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Great write up and explanation of potential issues re: bent prongs. My only change would be red led vs the white, particularly if in a 21 with the bed closer to these switches. I'm planning ahead and having 12v runs in most areas, so that may ease future changes. BTW, they offer shrouds for these little LEDs if you wanted to dim them a little or direct the light somewhat.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:09 AM   #108

Thanks...
In the 21 you might want to use the smaller red 3mm LED and have it come out the side towards the door lock...pointed away from the bed.
I forgot to mention that the LED does not have to stick out that much. It is a press fit in the plastic and can be pushed back so your not looking directly at the element. Failing that you can also add a drop of black paint in the direction that maybe irritating you.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:44 PM   #109

8 inch speakers for Eggscape

The short story...8 inch surface mount speakers will fit in the factory location of a 2018 Escape 19.

The details...I had a few pairs of speakers kicking around including these 8 inch ones that best match the power output of the radio/source. After some measurements I determined that they would fit if they were mounted on the front of the cabinet. They would not fit between the upper and lower studs if mounted from behind.

Cutting the hole in the cabinet went well with the multi-tool held at 45 degrees to the surface. The picture shows the angle and cut prior to using a drill mounted drum sander. The sander was only used to enlarge the hole as I had taken the safe route making the hole smaller to start.

The speakers did not come with grills/covers so I needed to make 2 rings to go around each speaker that I could stretch my speaker fabric over. I don’t Iike the typical boom box grills so that was not an option. I thought about making plywood rings but looking around I found two heavy duty plastic lids. By cutting a 7 inch dia hole in the lid the speakers fit perfectly flush inside the ring which would allow the fabric to be stretched over the front and spray glued to the rear.

The fabric being porous requires the rings to be painted black so the white does not show through. The end game changed when I saw the speakers in the black semi gloss rings. Not quite steampunk but I like the fin effect around the ring so I installed them as is. I may install the fabric at a later date. With the captain lights, fridge door front, table and counter tops being black, we sort of have a black theme emerging.

Not the style for everyone but now you know you can install an 8 inch speaker and use a multi-tool to do it.

Attached Thumbnails
D2D72BBE-693B-42AD-9C87-1743FD4EA104.jpg   637EAA4C-62CC-429B-9827-3B8710078C87.jpg   795F9423-FD98-4345-9E48-E1AE3E3C63F0.jpg   751F276E-6E1C-4A12-85D1-FB62EC3262D4.jpg  

Old 12-12-2018, 05:23 AM   #110

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Eggscape,
In another thread someone mention that someone should start a Little House of Customs for Escapes. I would nominate you and wish you were my neighbor. LOL

I so much wish I had the skills many have on this forum, thanks for the great detailed write ups you do. As we get to use our Grover more in the coming years I'm sure I will go back and read many of these threads and say I need to do that,

Have and Safe Holidays to all,

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:27 AM   #111

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
Eggscape,
In another thread someone mention that someone should start a Little House of Customs for Escapes. I would nominate you and wish you were my neighbor. LOL
I know this was suggested to me and a couple others, but boy oh boy would one have to charge a lot for these customizations to make a business out of it. I do it for the enjoyment of doing things and seeing the resultant as much as the need, and I be Ed is not much different. I dunno, maybe he is faster at these custom mods than I am.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 11:50 AM   #112

Thinking on how to do various modifications keeps the mind healthy. I give it a little extra thought in the design so to make it as doable to the lowest skill level and as reasonable as possible.

I am a strong believer in the saying that a picture is worth a thousand words. So if I forget a few words or misspell them hopefully you get the idea by looking at the pictures. You may also look at the pictures and think to yourself...that’s not my style or that you can grow on the idea and do better. You may also take the idea and want a more expensive product to achieve the same goal.

I also don’t claim theses are all new and never been done modifications. The research to verify that would take a team. These are just things that I want to do and my take on how I did them.

The next modification that I will post, anybody can do and doesn’t cost a penny...and don’t worry there are plenty more mods to come.

Old 12-12-2018, 12:15 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I know this was suggested to me and a couple others, but boy oh boy would one have to charge a lot for these customizations to make a business out of it. I do it for the enjoyment of doing things and seeing the resultant as much as the need, and I be Ed is not much different. I dunno, maybe he is faster at these custom mods than I am.
Your exactly correct Jim.

When my wife gets asked, will he do this for me.... She replies that they can’t afford my hourly rate...and it is not because I charge a lot per hour...it takes time.

And something always happens to that simple job to make it take longer than planned for.

Once done or seen in pictures makes the job much easier and quicker to do and that is why I post.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:14 PM   #114

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
We just need to find people where money is no object. Or maybe those people bought an Oliver?

It still amazes me that for awhile people were buying a brand new loaded Jeep Unlimited and then handing it to American Expedition Vehicles (AEV) to make it a pickup truck and add a HEMI for an additional $50K+. Or what people will throw to Callaway to make their $100K Z06 Corvette even better. Must be nice...
Old 12-12-2018, 01:43 PM   #115

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
We just need to find people where money is no object. Or maybe those people bought an Oliver?

It still amazes me that for awhile people were buying a brand new loaded Jeep Unlimited and then handing it to American Expedition Vehicles (AEV) to make it a pickup truck and add a HEMI for an additional $50K+. Or what people will throw to Callaway to make their $100K Z06 Corvette even better. Must be nice...
Dave have had a lot of help with some of my installations on my trailer from you,and again I want to Thankyou ..
What caught my eye was the negative comment about Oliver trailers or who buys them . Comparing buyers of Oliver trailers to spending lots of money on loaded vechicles then adding thousands more until they are happy ?
I for one love Oliver trailers. For us the high quality items put on their trailers validates their high cost.Items especially outside that aren't destroyed by uv's in a few years and needing replacement , which we have had to replace . I am not going to go through a list , it is too long .
I believe buyers like the high quality up front and are willing to pay for it and I hope ,the means to do it.
No need to trash a great company . I think if you have a great contender , it will sell itself .
Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 02:17 PM   #116

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Dave have had a lot of help with some of my installations on my trailer from you,and again I want to Thankyou ..
What caught my eye was the negative comment about Oliver trailers or who buys them . Comparing buyers of Oliver trailers to spending lots of money on loaded vechicles then adding thousands more until they are happy ?
I for one love Oliver trailers. For us the high quality items put on their trailers validates their high cost.Items especially outside that aren't destroyed by uv's in a few years and needing replacement , which we have had to replace . I am not going to go through a list , it is too long .
I believe buyers like the high quality up front and are willing to pay for it and I hope ,the means to do it.
No need to trash a great company . I think if you have a great contender , it will sell itself .
Pat
I think you read more into what he said than he ever intended,at least to me.

He is correct that there are folks out there that have lots of extra money to spend for specialized custom work.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 02:36 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Pat
Pat: I think you misunderstood me. I was suggesting that if you have the money you may just go for the "best" and not be worried about much modifying. I too appreciate the quality of engineering and construction that Oliver exhibits. If anything my comment was meant to be a positive towards Oliver.

Bringing up that vehicles are modified after they are built was not meant to be a comparison to the behavior of a buyer of any trailer. It was simply pointing out (maybe obviously) that some people have the money to spend on a brand new loaded vehicle and then still have money to have shops customize it.

This was in all the context of some of the craftsman on the forum finding enough people to pay them for expensive modifications.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:38 PM   #118

Quote:
I think you read more into what he said than he ever intended,at least to me.

He is correct that there are folks out there that have lots of extra money to spend for specialized custom work.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:47 PM   #119

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Pat: I think you misunderstood me. I was suggesting that if you have the money you may just go for the "best" and not be worried about much modifying. I too appreciate the quality of engineering and construction that Oliver exhibits. If anything my comment was meant to be a positive towards Oliver.

Bringing up that vehicles are modified after they are built was not meant to be a comparison with a buyer of any trailer. It was simply pointing out (maybe obviously) that some people have the money to spend on a brand new loaded vehicle and then still have money to have shops customize it.

This was in all the context of some of the craftsman on the forum finding enough people to pay them for expensive modifications.
Ok Dave I guess I misunderstood , sorry . I believe Oliver besides being a small company is family owned . No offense taken then .Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:10 PM   #120

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Just like the people who buy a new Mazda MX-5 (Miata) and then pay another $50K to have a GM V8 (and transmission, and final drive) swapped in - there are multiple companies doing that. The point is either to get something that is not available as a stock product, or to have something which is relatively rare to impress other people. That second one is a fine balance, since the modification must be already worked out for previous purchasers to be practical, but not too many other purchasers or it becomes ordinary. Mercedes AMG cars are a good example of something that is so common and available that no knowledgeable auto enthusiast is impressed anymore - it's just a premium trim level of a production vehicle.

This non-custom type of "customization" appears to be Little House Customs' speciality. They work out a modification that isn't worthwhile for the OEM (Casita) to put in production, but can be reproduced efficiently enough that it is a saleable product. I think for this to work there needs to be a large number of candidate trailers, and a well-established desire for a particular modification.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote