Mods I Haven't Seen Elsewhere - Page 11 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-27-2018, 05:44 PM   #201

Location: In my Escape...full time. Currently in Maine, Maine
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
We’ve had our vents in all the cabinetry since new, so do not have direct comparison data for with/without performance. Condensation in dead air spaces is real so must be mitigated one way or another. Even if hear don’t do much good, at least they can’t hurt.

For the underbed area specifically, I plan to install two small fans that will draw air from under and around the mattress down into the underbed area. Mattress is sitting on top of hypervent. Air should be expelled into main cabin via the door vents. I’ll post pics when I get around to putting it all together.
Thanks... you are quite right that these certainly can do no harm and may help. do like that idea to put fans under the bed area. Just yesterday I discovered moisture around the sides of the mattress (Escape 19) that had wet the bedding there. 20s to 30s outside but, even with RH only around 40%, guess the walls were below dew point. I have hypervent under the mattress and have ordered more for the sides of the mattrress. The fans would ensure that air flows through all that space and removes at least a good part of any moisture build up. Look forward to your project photos :-)
CarlNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:52 PM   #202

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlNH View Post
Wondering if these actually do any good? Was thinking of possibly putting a couple in the under dinette storage where all the electrical gear is located. Just installed a 2000 watt inverter in there that could generate a bit of heat. Under the bed though... any experiences with these? Thanks!
Don't know about Gen 2 but on my Classic 19, when laying on the floor under the dinette, if my hand is anywhere near the floor by the seats I feel a noticeable draft of air. So the storage spaces appear to somewhat vented already.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:02 PM   #203

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
I finally got around to installing my full mattress ventilation system. I cut two 2” holes in the plywood under the mattress, about 20” diagonal from the outside cornersClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0155.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	35171 then attached two computer fans on the underside Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0159.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	223.1 KB
ID:	35172and wired both to a switch by the under-bed doorsClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0160.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	347.2 KB
ID:	35173On top of the bed platform I emplaced HyperventClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0156.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	35174and then after replacing the mattress emplaced more Hypervent around the exterior perimeter. My hope is that the fans will draw air around the sides of the mattress and underneath it into the under-bed compartment. I have two 2” vents on the doors, as shown earlier in this thread, to hopefully exhaust back into the main cabin.

While I was lying on my back down there, I took the opportunity to complete another mod I’ve been wanting to do. I’ve had LED’s under there for some time, but added a secon switch in a 3-way setup next to the exterior hatch, so the storage bay lights can now be switched on or off from both locations, woohoo!
Old 11-17-2018, 09:41 AM   #204

Pics of under bed lighting and second switch by exterior hatch. I always wonder why it’s called a 3-way switch when there are only two switches [emoji2955]
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0167.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	35199Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0165.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	35200
Old 11-17-2018, 10:29 AM   #205
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Pics of under bed lighting and second switch by exterior hatch. I always wonder why it’s called a 3-way switch when there are only two switches [emoji2955]
Attachment 35199Attachment 35200
Because there are 3 combinations of the two switch states:
OFF & OFF
OFF & ON
ON & OFF

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 10:35 AM   #206

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The only issue with those nice lights is now you can see that you can fit more "stuff" underneath...
Old 11-17-2018, 10:48 AM   #207

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
OFF & OFF
OFF & ON
ON & OFF
While possible, I was always told (by electricians) that it was because there were 3 terminals on the switch rather than the standard 2.

There is also a less known 4 way switch (that has 4 terminals) that is designed to go between the travelers so you can add switches between the two 3 way switches.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:56 AM   #208

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
OFF & OFF
OFF & ON
ON & OFF
A single switch is not called so, but is actually a 2 way switch. OFF and ON.

In the end it doesn't really matter what they are called, as long as you understand how they work.

A 4 way switch is basically a transfer switch, switching between the two 3 way switches to their opposite legs, and turning on (or off) the light as well.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 11:14 AM   #209

Looks great!

I would have to drill a little hole somewhere inside and install one of these 12 volt flashing LEDs so I did not close the doors and forget it was on.

You can get a 10 pack here...for all the things you might forget and leave on...
10PCS 3mm 5mm Flash Blink LED Diod 12V 20cm Pre wired White Red Green Blue Yellow UV RGB Lamp Light Emitting Diodes Pre soldered-in Diodes from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 11:17 AM   #210

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
If you really care what they're called...
  • an ordinary on-off or "two way" switch is a single-pole single-throw (SPST) - it has two terminals
  • a "three way" switch is a single-pole double-throw (SPDT) - it has three terminals, one of which is the common
  • a "four way" switch as used in lighting circuits is a double-pole double-throw (DPDT) with internal jumpers to make it a reversing switch - it has four external terminals (and six internally)
That can help if whatever source you're searching uses standard switch terms (SPDT, DPDT) instead of common household wiring terms ("three-way", "four-way").
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 11:52 AM   #211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Looks great!

I would have to drill a little hole somewhere inside and install one of these 12 volt flashing LEDs so I did not close the doors and forget it was on.

You can get a 10 pack here...for all the things you might forget and leave on...

10PCS 3mm 5mm Flash Blink LED Diod 12V 20cm Pre wired White Red Green Blue Yellow UV RGB Lamp Light Emitting Diodes Pre soldered-in Diodes from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Those are handy! I can think of a few places where I might use those. For the under bed fans though, what I’d really like to do is wire in a timer that would automatically shut off the fans after a predetermined time, eg 4 hours of something. Still looking for something that will do the trick.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:04 PM   #212

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Such a tidy underbed, Scott, is the sign of a sick mind
VERY nice work

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 12:15 PM   #213

Quote:
For the under bed fans though, what I’d really like to do is wire in a timer that would automatically shut off the fans after a predetermined time, eg 4 hours of something. Still looking for something that will do the trick.

Maybe this one!

DROK 0.1s to 999min Adjustable Electric Timer Relay, DC 12V 50mA Digital Delay Relay, 4-Mode On-Off Delay Timer Switch, Multifunctional Automotive Relay Cycle Time Delay Module with LED Display https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071XNY72Q..._MJf8Bb0CYNB8T

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0168.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	35206
Old 11-17-2018, 12:21 PM   #214

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Looks great!

or better yet install an illuminated switch
Old 11-17-2018, 12:24 PM   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
or better yet install an illuminated switch

I have an illuminated switch for the electric side of the hot water heater, but figured illuminated switches for the under bed lighting would be superfluous, as the switches are under the bed with the lights. Sort of obvious if the switch is on or not [emoji849]
Old 11-17-2018, 12:47 PM   #216

No box but this will do up to 15 amps with no relay for $3 including shipping.
Click on item description to read more.
Gone are the days of printing your own board and buying the parts at Radio Shack...

Trigger Cycle Timer Delay Switch Circuit Board MOS Tube Control Module 12 24V 828 Promotion-in Integrated Circuits from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Old 11-17-2018, 01:24 PM   #217

For under $10 including shipping I like to use one of these to control up to 4 things from anywhere around the trailer. No need for 3 ways etc. Great for controlling a variety of lights under or outside of the trailer while sitting around the camp fire.
This is only one example of the many diffent relay and fob combinations available. You can order with many key fobs in case you loose one or fobs that stick on the wall.
Each relay in the board is operated by 12 volts but can switch 5 DC to 120AC independent of the other.

433Mhz Universal Wireless Remote Control Switch DC12V 4CH relay Receiver Module and 1PCS 4 channel RF Remote 433 Mhz Transmitter-in Remote Controls from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Old 11-24-2018, 10:52 AM   #218

Here’s another mod that makes me smile. Apologies in advance for the lousy picture quality on this one. We added an excellent Caframo Scirocco II fan, which is made for boats, in a back corner next to our 19’s bed. When built we had ETI put captains lights at all four corners of the bed, as we weren’t sure which way we would want to orient for sleep. Once we had decided that, I replaced one of the lights at the “foot” with our fan. That’s the real beauty of this install - no running of wires inside cabinetry as it was all right there already for the captains light. The bottom of the upper cabinet in that area is hollow and I do not trust it to hold any weight in a bouncing trailer, so I fabricated a 1/4” piece of oak for backer support, spanning between the under-cabinet framing at the exterior walls. Result is a tidy install and a nice, aimable breeze. Another nice feature of this particular fan is that it has a timer, so you can press a button one to three times to correspond to a one to three hour timer, then it shuts off. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0187.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	35293Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0181.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	35294
Old 11-24-2018, 11:30 AM   #219

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
that's "cool" !
Old 11-24-2018, 11:48 AM   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
that's "cool" !

Indeed [emoji6]

I also forgot to mention that the fan is fully gimballed, so you can aim it in any direction.