Mods I Haven't Seen Elsewhere - Page 13 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2018, 06:54 PM   #241

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Tinkering is fun! !
Hmm, some might say it's an addiction. \

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:58 PM   #242

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Hmm, some might say it's an addiction. \

Ron

Indeed, they might ;-)
Old 12-03-2018, 07:11 PM   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
The lock and mirror mod is saved to my photo file of things to do next year.

I got a matched set of keyed alike padlocks for everything on the trailer: two for the front box, one for the propane tanks, one for the (Most Excellent) Fastway One Step Chock (recommended), and one for locking the safety chains through the propane tanks if I’m feeling super paranoid. Have actually only done that a few times though, so hopefully not too paranoid. Although someone smarter than me once told me that just because you’re paranoid does not mean They are not out to get you [emoji848]
Old 12-04-2018, 07:21 AM   #244

Trailer: None now
Quote:
I got a matched set of keyed alike padlocks for everything on the trailer: two for the front box, one for the propane tanks, one for the (Most Excellent) Fastway One Step Chock (recommended), and one for locking the safety chains through the propane tanks if I’m feeling super paranoid. Have actually only done that a few times though, so hopefully not too paranoid. Although someone smarter than me once told me that just because you’re paranoid does not mean They are not out to get you [emoji848]

As proof that not so great minds think alike I noticed this propane tank lock on Amazon. It is almost exactly the same as what I made for mine. I did add a nut inside locking the rod to the base and epoxy puttied the outside of the bottom nut to make sure it could not be sheared off. After it was repainted it looks like I welded the whole area. And a piece of 1 1/4 inch pvc tubing so they can't just fit a bolt cutter in to shear the rod.

Sure someone with a battery operated dremel with a metal cutting blade could cut the tubing and rod. But that would take time. I'm hoping they move on. And it only slightly slows my tank exchanges.

https://www.amazon.com/Batteryshackl.../dp/B00Q7L3Z6M
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:25 PM   #245

Mods I Haven't Seen Elsewhere

We’ve done some extensive traveling in winter and sub-freezing temps, and have tried to harden our little Escapes as best we could without sacrificing full use of our water systems, which means we procured and use the extra insulation package and the spray foam plus tank heat pads. We even have a heated hose but it rarely gets used, and only if absolutely necessary.

So as long as we have hookups (for tank heaters) and are able to avoid dump valve freezing, we are pretty good to go. Except for one thing, which has always been a niggling concern: freezing of the exterior showers (we have one on each side of our 19, because sometimes one side works better, sometimes the other). On our previous 17B the exterior shower froze and then leaked til we got it fixed (we bought it that way from previous owner). So far with the 19 we’ve been lucky. But it’s always been a lurking concern.

So today’s mod was to install shutoff valves! Now we can purge the exterior showers, shut them off, then reprime the system.

Passenger side shower (under sink), before:Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3067.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	35559

After:Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0238.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	35560

Driver side shower (behind drawers under wardrobe) before:Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0241.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	35561

After:Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0243.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	35562
Old 12-06-2018, 06:20 PM   #246

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Scott,
where did you acquire the valves and what size are they and any special tools needed to install? I asked Escape to install these in my new E21 and Tammy said "N, it may mess up the winterization? " Why this is any different than the toilet shut off they will install is beyond my understanding. Anyway I'll take some valves with me and ask again while there, if not you will be my muse on this. Thanks for any help.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:31 PM   #247

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Scott,
where did you acquire the valves and what size are they and any special tools needed to install? I asked Escape to install these in my new E21 and Tammy said "N, it may mess up the winterization? " Why this is any different than the toilet shut off they will install is beyond my understanding. Anyway I'll take some valves with me and ask again while there, if not you will be my muse on this. Thanks for any help.

Happy to help in any way I can, Jim. I don’t see any difference at all between this and the toilet shutoff, with the caveat that you have to be sure to blow out the lines before isolating the exterior shower in order to prevent freezing damage. I also would have asked ETI to install them during the build if I’d have thought of it. Installation does require a couple of specialized tools to crimp the Pex rings. There are a couple of different styles but I can’t recommend one over another because I’ve only ever used the copper ring type. The hardest part of this mod is the tight working space. Which is why it would be great if ETI would do it during the build.

The valves I used are these: Everflow Supplies 615P012-NL Lead Free Pex Full Port Ball Valve with Tee Handle, 1/2-Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MA9DQEQ..._J0BcCb0M97WH2Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0244.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	35566

I also upgraded a few plastic fittings to brass while I was at it, including the ones that screw onto the shower assembly itself: SharkBite UC532LFA Swivel Elbow,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007AHJA1Q?ref=yo_pop_ma_swfClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0245.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	35567
Old 12-06-2018, 06:44 PM   #248

Can a hose clamp be substituted, may simply things, what is your opinion?
Old 12-06-2018, 06:54 PM   #249

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
So today’s mod was to install shutoff valves! Now we can purge the exterior showers, shut them off, then reprime the system.
Great mod! Working on something like this myself. Instead of blowing out the lines how about just shutting the valves, plugging in a quick connect hose adaptor outside, opening one outside valve at a time and sucking the lines dry with a hand pump? Or a drill pump if you carry a drill. That way it is easily done when the weather turns.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...QaAiwvEALw_wcB

https://www.homedepot.com/p/AquaPro-...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 12-06-2018, 07:14 PM   #250

Quote:

No, I don’t think a hose clamp would work. There might be one workaround though, if the right parts exist. If Sharkbite makes a 1/2” Pex push on valve fitting, you could just cut the lines, taking out exactly the right amount of pipe as used by the valve, then push the cut ends into the valve fitting. This would certainly be easier, but what I’ve heard from plumbers is that you have to do it just right ( e.g.straight, square cuts) or it can leak. I don’t know if they make that exact type of fitting though (with an inline valve).
Old 12-06-2018, 07:18 PM   #251

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Great mod! Working on something like this myself. Instead of blowing out the lines how about just shutting the valves, plugging in a quick connect hose adaptor outside, opening one outside valve at a time and sucking the lines dry with a hand pump? Or a drill pump if you carry a drill. That way it is easily done when the weather turns.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...QaAiwvEALw_wcB

https://www.homedepot.com/p/AquaPro-...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Maybe. Hard to say without trying. Hard to imagine any type of suction working if there’s no flow-through, which there would not be with the shutoff valves closed. On the other hand, the winterizing instructions for the shower itself say to shut off the water then attach a hose to open the quick-release valve, then open hot and cold taps to drain. Maybe that would be sufficient?
Old 12-06-2018, 09:29 PM   #252

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Can a hose clamp be substituted... ?
No. There are three ways to clamp PEX tubing onto the barb style designed for PEX (and visible on that valve):
  1. metal (copper?) crimp ring (installed with crimper)
  2. metal (steel) cinch ring (installed with special tool)
  3. PEX shrink ring (installed with expansion tool)
A typical hose clamp as used on softer hose will not tighten enough for PEX.

There are also fitting that don't use a barb, such as those from Sharkbite (which seal with an O-ring and grip the outside of the tubing to stay together, the same way they work with copper).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:35 PM   #253

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
... the winterizing instructions for the shower itself say to shut off the water then attach a hose to open the quick-release valve, then open hot and cold taps to drain. Maybe that would be sufficient?
That sounds like they're counting on gravity drainage, either out the shower or the other way to a low-point drain in the RV. I think this would only work well in this case if each shutoff valve is the high point of it's piping (mounted above the shower assembly).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:29 AM   #254

Quote:

Jim,
Here’s a push on valve, as mentioned by Brian and myself, that should work without need for crimping Pex fittings:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0248.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	35572
SharkBite 22222-0000LFA Ball Valve 1/2 Inch x 1/2 Inch, Water Valve Shut Off, Push-to-Connect, PEX, Copper, CPVC, PE-RT https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003128NXA..._niHcCbTZK6YRP
Old 12-07-2018, 12:34 AM   #255

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Jim,
Here’s a push on valve, as mentioned by Brian and myself, that should work without need for crimping Pex fittings:

Attachment 35572
SharkBite 22222-0000LFA Ball Valve 1/2 Inch x 1/2 Inch, Water Valve Shut Off, Push-to-Connect, PEX, Copper, CPVC, PE-RT https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003128NXA..._niHcCbTZK6YRP
Used for our toilet shut off valve . No problems and very easy to install .Got ours at a plumbing supply . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:51 AM   #256

Thanks everyone....What is the procedure for cutting the PEX, razor knife or some other sharp instrument, maybe an oscillating tool?
Old 12-07-2018, 06:54 AM   #257

Quote:
Thanks everyone....What is the procedure for cutting the PEX, razor knife or some other sharp instrument, maybe an oscillating tool?

Ratcheting pipe cutter, available at most any hardware store:Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0249.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	35573
Old 12-07-2018, 07:02 AM   #258

another tool I'll need, thanks. I think I'll try the self install and thinking of asking Escape to install the supply lines from above vs below to the dual showers. Would make winterizing easier by insuring the supply lines inside are empty via gravity.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:21 AM   #259

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Jim,

Attachment 35572
Another option is a Flair-it fitting. They are less expensive and less bulky than the Sharkbite. I am actually going to use a bypass valve with the common port towards the shower. The “bypass” will normally have a cap on it but the valve can be turned to isolate from water system and drain shower by gravity. Plan to insert fitting in the quick connect port while opening exterior valves to allow air in. Requires removing the cheap plastic check valves from the rear stems of the outside shower. I will document with a thread when I do it.

https://www.amazon.com/Flair-Plastic.../dp/B01ITFS3Y2
Old 12-07-2018, 10:31 AM   #260

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Learned cutting pex with the wrong tool does not work. Got lucky at nearby Salvation Army store, one dollar. Adding my 2cents, hose clamps a definite no-no. More luck: Borrowed pex crimp tools from neighbor.
Attached Thumbnails
sharkbite1.jpg