Mods I Haven't Seen Elsewhere - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-15-2017, 01:39 PM   #101

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormforce View Post
ok great ! ill defenetly lookinto that , it may be different location on the 21
The solar controller is normally located near the battery(ies), so it would make sense to locate the external solar port near there, as well. In the 2017 21', that would be rear passenger-side.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 01:44 PM   #102

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
If so, why would you do this? Is this something to do with that craziness of making your trailer look like a Christmas tree. If this is the case, I still don't understand.
Someone else on this forum who did likewise indicated they saw a need after having to briefly abandon their trailer on the side of the road at night due to an emergency and wanted to be sure other drivers could see it to avoid running into it until they could return and hitch back up. Added visibility at night is also what prompted me to add red-white-red reflector strips onto our rear bumper. I hope they are never needed, but they are there just in case (kind of like my tire jack).
Attached Thumbnails
DSC09523.jpg  
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 03:58 PM   #103

Trailer: 2018 21
ok perfect thanx War Eagle !,
stormforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:04 PM   #104

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Someone else on this forum who did likewise indicated they saw a need after having to briefly abandon their trailer on the side of the road at night due to an emergency and wanted to be sure other drivers could see it to avoid running into it until they could return and hitch back up. Added visibility at night is also what prompted me to add red-white-red reflector strips onto our rear bumper. I hope they are never needed, but they are there just in case (kind of like my tire jack).
The reflector tape on the rear bumper is an excellent idea. Significantly adds to safety and an inexpensive addition. Thanks for sharing.
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:36 PM   #105

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot TF20 DLX Fifth Wheel
another map idea

I like the idea of hanging a map of the United States that could be used for reference or trip planning but when I looked them up on Amazon I found a lot of very expensive school sized maps for classrooms.

Then I figured that out how to down size the roll-up method while being able to hang a state or county map as needed. Maybe you're not a cross-country traveler and only need a state map; just use and old window shade and tape your current state map to the surface and roll it up out of the way when not needed!

I found this window shade on Amazon that could be used, as an example, if you don't have any of the old ones hanging around that you want to "borrow" for your trailer. (Besides, your wife would get mad at you for stealing one of the house shades.) Go to Lowes or Home Depot and they'll have 'em way cheaper than Amazon and you can mount it in a lot of places, like over the dinette table.
TheWanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:33 PM   #106

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought this tape and put it on the rear bumper. I have about 4 ' left over and plan to use a little more higher up on the rear corners. Very bright.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:48 PM   #107

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post

I bought this tape and put it on the rear bumper. I have about 4 ' left over and plan to use a little more higher up on the rear corners. Very bright.
We used the same stuff after seeing it on Leon and Lindy's 21. I think it is a very good idea.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 10:57 PM   #108

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post

I just put a roll in my Amazon shopping cart. Can't be seen in the dark too much.
Thanks for the tip.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:08 AM   #109

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA (August, 2017)
We used the same reflective tape for our 5.0 TA. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Plan to put some of the extra on our bike rack.
labearit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:57 PM   #110

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by labearit View Post
We used the same reflective tape for our 5.0 TA. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Plan to put some of the extra on our bike rack.
We also used the same reflective tape now for 4 years. When we ordered trailer did not know about getting extra lights . So I thought it was good idea to add tape . I also added reflectors on body and corners of rear bumper . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0005 3.jpg   DSC_0001 4.jpg   DSC_0002 5.jpg  
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:15 PM   #111

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapitre View Post
Does anyone know when escape started using LED's in the running lights?
Mid-2015: Our 17 was hatched in Sept. 2015, with LED's. Earlier in 2015 there were hatchlings with incandescent lamps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
If so, why would you do this? Is this something to do with that craziness of making your trailer look like a Christmas tree. If this is the case, I still don't understand
I installed a switch within the trailer, for when we overnight in a rest area, parking lot, or other traffic-laden area, for identification/protection. It also lights us up 360° if we hear a noise outside, and want to discourage whatever!
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:56 PM   #112

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post

I installed a switch within the trailer, for when we overnight in a rest area, parking lot, or other traffic-laden area, for identification/protection. It also lights us up 360° if we hear a noise outside, and want to discourage whatever!
I guess we are all different. I would rather be as unnoticeable as possible, even at a place like Walmart. Never actually considered there would even be an issue. We do lock the door when going to bed in these places, that would be good enough for us. We do tend to be trustworthy folks.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:56 PM   #113

Quote:
Mid-2015: Our 17 was hatched in Sept. 2015, with LED's. Earlier in 2015 there were hatchlings with incandescent lamps.

Don what a great idea ! Do you have some more easy to follow information for this electrical novice ? Pat
Old 10-17-2017, 11:37 PM   #114

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Don what a great idea ! Do you have some more easy to follow information for this electrical novice ? Pat
Well, Pat, let's see:
I located the switch under an existing 12V DC plug, so I'd have a close-by source of power and ground connections. This happened to be under our full-time bed in the front of the 17A. (Photo at bottom).

Over on the side wall under the bed was the green wire running to the running lights (markers and tail lights), so I connected to it with a tap splice connector:

Summary: hot wire (+12V DC) to line side of switch from adjacent outlet.
Since the switch was lighted, also ran a ground wire to switch from adjacent outlet.
Green wire to tap splice connector on running light wiring from load side of switch.
The switch itself is a 12V DC lighted switch available at auto parts stores or hardware stores. Typically, they have male spade connections on the rear, or sometimes screw terminals.

Questions: give me a call; I'm now retired, and less than 25 miles away. ( eight ohh five three one two ohh tree tree fore )
Attached Thumbnails
Running light switch.jpg  
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:21 AM   #115

Quote:
Well, Pat, let's see:
I located the switch under an existing 12V DC plug, so I'd have a close-by source of power and ground connections. This happened to be under our full-time bed in the front of the 17A. (Photo at bottom).

Over on the side wall under the bed was the green wire running to the running lights (markers and tail lights), so I connected to it with a tap splice connector:

Summary: hot wire (+12V DC) to line side of switch from adjacent outlet.
Since the switch was lighted, also ran a ground wire to switch from adjacent outlet.
Green wire to tap splice connector on running light wiring from load side of switch.
The switch itself is a 12V DC lighted switch available at auto parts stores or hardware stores. Typically, they have male spade connections on the rear, or sometimes screw terminals.

Questions: give me a call; I'm now retired, and less than 25 miles away. ( eight ohh five three one two ohh tree tree fore )
Thankyou Don . I am going to print your post out . Thankyou for the offer to help . Pat
Old 10-22-2017, 03:39 PM   #116

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
US wall map doesn’t fit as well on our 19 as it did on the 17B, as we have dome lights now, but still turned out ok, and will be useful. Apologies to Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, and certain counties in Iowa and Missouri.
Old 10-22-2017, 03:43 PM   #117

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
What about poor old Kansas there's hardly any of it left?

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:44 PM   #118

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Sorry! Apologies to Kansas!
Old 10-22-2017, 03:55 PM   #119

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA Tundra 1794 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
What about poor old Kansas there's hardly any of it left?

Adrian
Kansas was so far gone .... totally missed....

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time" JT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TlAD-b7yew
Honair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:56 PM   #120

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Kansas

Could have turned it the long way but considering the geographical center of the lower 48 is iin Kansas they are still screwed. Who has one of those flexible mirrors mounted where your map is? Ooh ooh what a great idea for a conversation/ rumor stater on trailer tours.