Mods I Haven't Seen Elsewhere - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2018, 02:41 AM   #141

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Like many, many others, I have happily found this online community to be a good natured and generous font of knowledge and assistance. I have benefitted tremendously from the collective expertise and wisdom to here be found. One aspect of such are those various and manied creative technical solutions that I have gleefully borrowed from these pages. Sincere thanks to the many contributors here who generously lend their time and expertise to help others.

Some time ago I thought to give back what I may, and so decided to start this thread as a place to present novel solutions that I had not elsewhere seen, rather than just reiterate solutions that others have already well documented. Today, however, I shall break from that a bit to chat briefly about a mod old to others but new to me.

I recently added an accumulator tank to our 19’s water system, and thought I’d share a bit about how I installed it and how it performs.

I spent quite a while pondering where and how to plumb it in, and ultimately decided on perhaps the simplest location possible: directly beneath our Shurflow pump. This location also makes it easy to adjust pressure in the accumulator as needed, via the Schraeder valve on its end.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5323.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	398.1 KB
ID:	33662Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5322.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	399.7 KB
ID:	33663

Installation only involved cutting the clear tube that fed directly from the pump and inserting the accumulator inline. The only specialized tool needed was a PEX crimper. The accumulator is screwed to the same wall as the pump. The only challenge to this installation was the cramped working space. After installation I pressure tested the system at 100 psi, which I believe is what they test to at ETI, and then I ran the pump a bunch to see if anything leaked.

As to the accumulator’s function, two things were immediately apparent. First, the pump is now super quiet. It almost sounds like the pump is operating in the trailer next door. Maybe due to enhanced vibration damping? I don’t know. I just know it’s a lot quieter. That’s a nice bonus, but the real, and intended, benefit is that the accumulator really smoothes out the water flow. Instead of squirt-squirt-squirt at anything less than full blast flow rates, I now get a smooth consistent flow, interspersed with much less frequent pump cycling. Oh, it cycles, but instead of rapid fire staccato bursts, it’s a much longer stretch of quiet with a longer run when pressure does drop off. But even those longer runs are much less noticeable, due to the acoustic dampening, and the smooth flowing water pressure.

All in all, I find it to be a swell deal for under $30 from the Amazon. Plus the PEX crimper, of course.

This is the one I got: Seaflo Pre-Pressurized Accumulator Tank https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MVA6GCC..._1s7FBbFP05AZK

Cheers,
Scott
Old 08-24-2018, 09:35 AM   #142

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Very Good Write-Up, Scott! You describe the benefits perfectly.

For others who may be considering, this is not a difficult task. I am blessed with only normal homeowner skills, and had no problems with the install. As Scott says, the location is a bit awkward, but brief.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 11:05 AM   #143

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I agree, good write-up describing the benefits. I wouldn't have a pump driven system without one.

If you didn't have any leaks you're ahead of the game. Several of us have had weeps from the fittings supplied with the tank.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 12:18 PM   #144

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Good work, Scott. I just completed this task as well and ran the first overnight trip with it installed. Definitely quieter and smooths out the water flow. Really noticed it in the shower.
I mounted mine side by side using the included joiner, so I needed no modifications to the water lines. Used a 2x4 spacer block under the accumulator to raise it to the same level of the pump and the rest was just reattaching. Did have some “weeps” but loosened and reset the joiner with light hand tightning and weeps no more. I didnt get any pictures, due to the awkward space but I’ll try and get one this weekend.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 12:38 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

If you didn't have any leaks you're ahead of the game. Several of us have had weeps from the fittings supplied with the tank.

Ron

I didn’t like the look of the plastic fittings that came with the tank, so instead used some nicer brass ones.

SharkBite UC532LFA Swivel Elbow,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007AHJA1Q?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

PEX 1/2" x 1/2" Female NPT Thread... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071NGRQR4?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf
Old 08-24-2018, 04:33 PM   #146

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
For years I've used teflon tape to stop weeps. It is tricky to use, but I've never had a weep at the threads I couldn't stop.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 08-24-2018, 06:05 PM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
, but I've never had a weep at the threads I couldn't stop.

Perry
Me neither, it's just a nuisance when a fitting isn't all that well designed and you then have to do some remedial work to correct it.

Ron
Old 08-24-2018, 06:42 PM   #148

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Me neither, it's just a nuisance when a fitting isn't all that well designed and you then have to do some remedial work to correct it.

Ron
I also had trouble with the enclosed fittings . I fixed that and improved , by ordering the silence kit which had already installed fittings . Little more extra water holding and didn't want to buy a crimper for plex. Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:35 PM   #149

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19, 2007 Tacoma 4X4 V6 tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
I also had trouble with the enclosed fittings . I fixed that and improved , by ordering the silence kit which had already installed fittings . Little more extra water holding and didn't want to buy a crimper for plex. Pat

Pat, was that the SHURFLO 94-591-01 Pump Silencing Kit? Thanks, Jeff
Jeff in Salinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:35 PM   #150

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in Salinas View Post
Pat, was that the SHURFLO 94-591-01 Pump Silencing Kit? Thanks, Jeff
Yes that is the one . They are longer then you think . Just curl without kinking and then install . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 02:19 PM   #151

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Scott: We also have a 2017 19’. Is the water pump located behind the wood panel in the shallow lower cabinet below the sink?
ColoradoSwany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 02:45 PM   #152

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoSwany View Post
Scott: We also have a 2017 19’. Is the water pump located behind the wood panel in the shallow lower cabinet below the sink?
It should be under the bed between the water heater and fridge.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 03:00 PM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoSwany View Post

That would be your driver side wheel well. Ed has it right: under the bed between the water heater and fridge [emoji106]
Old 08-25-2018, 04:40 PM   #154

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Thanks, guys!
ColoradoSwany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:11 PM   #155

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA, pulled w/ 2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins 4x4 SRW LWB
2 Gallon Accumulator Tank in 5.0

In an unsuccessful attempt to prevent our water heater pressure relief valve from opening every time we use the water heater I installed a two gallon accumulator tank. It cost very little more than the smaller units marketed specifically for RVs. I included a ball valve shut off and a pressure gauge. Our (factory standard) Shurflo pump comes on at 40 PSI and off at 56 PSI. I pressurized the tank at 37 PSI.

To make room I installed the EMS at the very back of this space, off of the floor and just below the seat. Pump comes on far less often, but the water heater pressure relief valve still opens near the top of the heat cycle ever time the water heater is used. Trailer was picked up new in July 2018. I welcome any suggestions for keeping the temperature/pressure down.

Name:	IMG_2138.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	34063

Name:	IMG_2141.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	34064

Name:	IMG_2131.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	34065
SWCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:14 PM   #156
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Your water heater is under warranty. There is no need to make any special modifications yourself. While a few drops is normal, our pressure relief valve has never leaked a drop in 3 plus years of using the water heater frequently. I would simply submit a warranty claim and get it fixed.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:17 PM   #157

Leakage from that valve is normal operation. Your owner’s manual discusses it.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:28 PM   #158

You didn't mention what "open" entailed. Is it a few drops or a flow? A few drops might be normal but hosing out wouldn't be.

Nice accumulator tank installation. If I hadn't been so lazy I'd put that size in rather than the smaller one. I think that you'll find that you can get quite a bit of water, even with the pump switched off, like in the middle on the night. Enough to flush or rinse fingers without having the pump come on and disturb others.

Ron
Old 09-19-2018, 04:45 PM   #159

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Leakage from that valve is normal operation. Your owner’s manual discusses it.
I don't think that continued leakage, even the occasional drip is normal. And we have not experienced it. We often have 1 drip/every few seconds, after the tank heats up. I cycle the valve, and it has always stopped. Third fiberglass trailer, 3 manufacturers, all did/do it. If it won't stop, then I defer to more experienced owners...
Old 09-19-2018, 05:16 PM   #160

I would consider the manufacturer to be the highest level expert. From the Suburban SW6DE manual, page 6:

“The temperature and pressure relief valve is designed to open if the temperature of the water within the heater reaches 210*F, or if the water pressure in the heater reaches 150 pounds. Recreational vehicle water systems are closed systems and during the water heating cycle the pressure build-up in the water system will reach 150 pounds. When this pressure is reached, the pressure relief valve will open and water will drip from the valve. This dripping will continue until the pressure is reduced to below 150 pounds, and the valve closes. This condition is normal and does not indicate a defective relief valve.”

I would be concerned if my valve did not leak. That could indicate a defective valve, a leak somewhere else in the system, or possibly water heater is not getting hot to specs, which could lead to accelerated bacteria growth in the tank.