Moisture/wetness in front storage hatches on 17B - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-11-2015, 01:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B
Moisture/wetness in front storage hatches on 17B

Post two, post trip ...

Before we left on our journey, I noticed a little water -- not much, but enough to wonder about -- in the front driver's side underseat storage compartment on our 17B. I wasn't able to figure out the source -- and it didn't recur after I dried it and it sat for a few days at our home -- so I hoped it was not an issue.

On our trip, we discovered moisture/wetness on the OTHER side, in the passenger side underseat storage hatch -- enough that our TP and paper towels (stored there) were trashed. Again, we dried and aired out -- and no more trouble.

Now, on our return -- there's moisture in the front left again. That's the only place in the trailer, so I don't think this is a condensation issue -- otherwise I feel like we'd be seeing this on both sides, no? There was some laundry over there stored on the way home -- but that was NOT the case pre-trip, when I previously felt water -- then, there were a few things in there, but all totally dry.

Any ideas? Anything we should check? We're likely to bring our Escape in for a checkup soon and I'm not sure if there's something we may need to direct the fellas to in this case?

Elizabeth
medora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 02:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Those front compartments would seem to a hard place for water to get into from outside. I notice moisture in any of our compartments in cold weather camping when anything is pressed up against the shell and not allowing any air circulation. We've started to use stuff sacks for clothes in the upper cabinets in cold weather. With both of you and the two dogs - that's a lot of exhaled moisture.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 02:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Are you using the snap-on front guards? My front hatches are recessed behind them and I've never discovered dampness. I cannot remember if there is some sort of gasket around the hatch doors, if there is, then that may be the problem. When all else fails call ETI.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:58 PM   #4

Sandra -- what are the "snap on front guards?" Guess I'm not using them

Eric -- the thing that throws me is that there was water in the drivers' side hatch while it was sitting unused, in not terribly humid weather, and it was the only hatch that showed any moisture. The only thing in there was our little camp oven and a fan. Hmmm.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:11 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
E - do you have outside doors on either of those hatches?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-11-2015, 03:11 PM   #6

I had two front hatches placed on either side to access the under bench front dinette area, as it was a pre-storage box time. They were covered with contoured Naugahyde (or something like it) that was foam lined on the back side. They snap in place and protect the hatches and act as rock guards as well, which I believe was their primary purpose. Mine is not home right now, but when I get it later this week, I can take pictures and post them if you'd like.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:15 PM   #7

Sandra - your outside access to your front hatches is in the front of the trailer, not the side? We have the vinyl rockguards in front that snap in place.

Old 10-11-2015, 03:19 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have had water in front passenger seat storage, but I have hatch access from outside and I'd left the rock guards off. Only happened once.
You can see the vinyl rock guard, left, in second pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Exterior hatch.jpg   Tongue room.jpg  
Old 10-11-2015, 03:22 PM   #9

Glenn - I didn't know Reace ever put those access doors in the front. I can see that keeping those covered would be essential while driving! If Elizabeth and Dan have those then that could surely be the source of the water.

Old 10-11-2015, 03:25 PM   #10

Mine are in the front. On either side. That is one of the reasons I have been hesitant about changing the propane tanks from tandem to side by side, as they might interfere with easy access. I keep my hook-up stuff in them.
I only recently saw a front passenger side hatch pictured. I requested the front ones, because I was used to having them on a former "stickie".
Old 10-11-2015, 03:26 PM   #11

Yep. Just like Glenn's!
Old 10-11-2015, 03:30 PM   #12

As you can see from pic #2, the side-by-side propane tanks don't interfere with access to hatch.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:55 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 19'
Could the side getting the moisture be the cold side (not getting morning and/or day sunshine? Where more condensation would form.
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 04:09 PM   #14

No hatches on our front storage. We do have the access on the back passenger larger dinette and no problems or moisture.

And I don't think it's a sunny side thing, as in all cases the trailer has been in equal lighting (shade, sun, or driving).

There's no way a tank would be leaking, slowly making its way around? I think that was my primary fear, dunno really how that black tank lays.

The mystery continues!
Old 10-11-2015, 04:10 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I have had water in front passenger seat storage, but I have hatch access from outside and I'd left the rock guards off. Only happened once.
You can see the vinyl rock guard, left, in second pic.
I had never seen these little hatches until I saw Alf's trailer a couple of weeks ago. Nothing we see on 19's and 21's and wonder if they are still on any model.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 04:21 PM   #16

I think once the front storage box became an option, there was no call for the exterior hatch.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I think once the front storage box became an option, there was no call for the exterior hatch.
We have the extra hatch and would not do without it. On the 19', we could access a bench from the door. On the 21', the benches are at the back. Using the exterior hatch beats the heck out of going into the trailer, maybe taking off shoes, especially in bad weather, and going to the back of the trailer and moving flip-up tables and cushions to get into the bench --- for something that is right next to where we are using it on the exterior. So glad to have that hatch. Our front box already has plenty in it and that is primarily dirty stuff.

We do not have outside access to the other bench but the items there are rarely used ones.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:44 PM   #18

Elizabeth, have you looked at whether this happens after rain? Guess I would pour water from the nearby windows maybe, when the compartments are very dry, just to make certain of no connection. I guess condensation is more likely.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:50 PM   #19

Elizabeth, are you calling what I call the bench lid, a hatch?
Old 10-11-2015, 05:07 PM   #20

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L View Post
Mine are in the front. On either side. That is one of the reasons I have been hesitant about changing the propane tanks from tandem to side by side, as they might interfere with easy access.
As already shown there is clearance, because the side-by-side tanks are way forward. Other than providing space for the storage box, I can't think of a reason to change the tank configuration from the original inline setup to side-by-side.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote