Mounting WiFi Ranger - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-24-2018, 10:20 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
skiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Jeromesville, Ohio
Trailer: Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Posts: 728
Mounting WiFi Ranger

I am going to be buying a WiFi Ranger. I want to mount it permantly without getting out a mast or such device at the campground. I am looking at the Skypro or Elite A.C. The Skypro would be relatively unobtrusive matching the trailer but somewhat blocked by the air conditioner. The Elite A.C. would probably be better at clearing stuff on the roof. I thought about maybe bolting to the frame of the solar panel and dropping cable down the frig vent.

Has anyone installed either of these units? Am looking for suggestions. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: png Product_Guide_03.png (220.5 KB, 31 views)
__________________

__________________
Carl,

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 12:58 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Vermilye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oswego, New York
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2018 Ford F150
Posts: 3,492
I mounted a WiFi Ranger Sky on the roof of my 17B using VHB tape. I would be careful of mounting on the solar panel frame - even a slight shadow can make a major cut in the output of the panel.

By the way, I very much prefer the combination of an Air Gateway & Nanostation to the WiFi Ranger. A bit more difficult to set up for the first time, but much better range, and more dependable software. https://outsideourbubble.com/secure-...for-under-100/
__________________

__________________
Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2018 F150 3.5EB, 2017 21
Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 02:25 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
skiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Jeromesville, Ohio
Trailer: Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Posts: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I mounted a WiFi Ranger Sky on the roof of my 17B using VHB tape. I would be careful of mounting on the solar panel frame - even a slight shadow can make a major cut in the output of the panel.

By the way, I very much prefer the combination of an Air Gateway & Nanostation to the WiFi Ranger. A bit more difficult to set up for the first time, but much better range, and more dependable software.https://outsideourbubble.com/secure-...for-under-100/ .
The link goes back to this thread.
__________________
Carl,

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 04:58 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Vermilye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oswego, New York
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2018 Ford F150
Posts: 3,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
The link goes back to this thread.
This one should work. If a moderator can change my original link, I'd appreciate it.https://outsideourbubble.com/secure-...for-under-100/
__________________
Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2018 F150 3.5EB, 2017 21
Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:26 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Kent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Bozeman, Montana
Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Posts: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
By the way, I very much prefer the combination of an Air Gateway & Nanostation to the WiFi Ranger. A bit more difficult to set up for the first time, but much better range, and more dependable software.
Not to mention you will have your own secure Wifi network in your RV.
__________________
2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax / 2018 5.0TA

"Live Life as if everything is rigged in your favor"
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:26 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
sclifrickson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Port Townsend, Washington
Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Posts: 1,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
Am looking for suggestions.

We’ve been using a Winegard ConnecT for about six months now. Setup is straightforward and function is excellent. When not on the road we use it as a repeater for our whole property while parked in the driveway. Happy.
__________________
💩-p+☕️+n
sclifrickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 12:49 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Kent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Bozeman, Montana
Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Posts: 551
Private Wifi Network in 5.0TA

Received my Ubiquiti Nano station and air gateway the other day. It is all setup and ready to go. I followed David Bott Outside Our Bubble Youtube video.

Everything within the video was spot on except one additional change likely due to my laptop being PC instead of MAC. Next time I'm in the setup screen I will take a screen shot as I do not quite remember the exactly the selection I made to make work. Something like WPN needed to be changed to WPN??. Don't hold me to that, but what is coming to mind.



I went with this setup for the time being given the low cost and will get me by for now.
__________________
2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax / 2018 5.0TA

"Live Life as if everything is rigged in your favor"
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:55 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
skiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Jeromesville, Ohio
Trailer: Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Posts: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
Received my Ubiquiti Nano station and air gateway the other day. It is all setup and ready to go. I followed David Bott Outside Our Bubble Youtube video.

Everything within the video was spot on except one additional change likely due to my laptop being PC instead of MAC. Next time I'm in the setup screen I will take a screen shot as I do not quite remember the exactly the selection I made to make work. Something like WPN needed to be changed to WPN??. Don't hold me to that, but what is coming to mind.



I went with this setup for the time being given the low cost and will get me by for now.
After investigating less costly WiFi setups I think I will forgo the Wifiranger for this setup or perhaps the Camp Pro 2. What's involved with getting the Nano pointed in the right direction? Also I like keeping everything operating on 12 volt. The Nano with Air Gateway comes with a 120 volt power supply. Is anybody using a 12 volt to 24 volt converter like I see on Amazon to power the Nano & Air Gateway?

The Alfa Camp Pro comes with a 12 volt power supply and a omnidirectional antenna. Not having to fuss with aiming is appealing but I'm sure it affects range. Decisions, decisions...
__________________
Carl,

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 12:22 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Kent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Bozeman, Montana
Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Posts: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
What's involved with getting the Nano pointed in the right direction?
I would say antenna's you point towards park Wifi would receive stronger signal over Omnidirectional. Just a guess on my part.

You can use the Nano setup screen when connecting to park Wifi and watch the meter or there are apps for your smart phone to help detect the direction of strongest signal, but I think it will receive signal even if not pointed directly towards park Wifi. Pointing towards park Wifi will get you strongest signal.

Will know for sure once I put to use.
__________________
2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax / 2018 5.0TA

"Live Life as if everything is rigged in your favor"
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 02:32 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Greg A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Posts: 2,859
Ive installed quite a bit of the UBiquiti gear and would recommend you stay with the UBiquiti. It’s a solid performer and once you get accustomed to the interface setup screens it is a very powerful solution. This is a good setup recommended in the video and when the 5ghz gets out in the parks easy to add in a loco m5 to take advantage of that.
Greg A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:24 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Vermilye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oswego, New York
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2018 Ford F150
Posts: 3,492
I also wanted a 12v power supply for the Air Max & Nanostation: Here is a device that will do the trick. It does not snap to the Air Max like the 120V supply, but a rubber band holds them together.

12V Power Supply
__________________
Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2018 F150 3.5EB, 2017 21
Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:03 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Greg A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Posts: 2,859
Jon,

Would this be a major advantage to just using a small inverter with the 120v POE that comes with it?
Greg A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:41 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Vermilye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oswego, New York
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2018 Ford F150
Posts: 3,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Jon,

Would this be a major advantage to just using a small inverter with the 120v POE that comes with it?
It would depend on the losses of the inverter compared to the losses of the DC to DC converter. There also might be RFI generated by an inexpensive inverter...
__________________
Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2018 F150 3.5EB, 2017 21
Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 01:08 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Kent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Bozeman, Montana
Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Posts: 551
For those with a PC and wanting to install the Ubiquiti Nano Station.

I thought I would upload a picture supplement to David Botts How Too video on You Tube. In the YouTube video around time frame 7:30. You can use this supplement to the video on setting up the Nano station and air-gateway with PC. The air-gateway allows you the ability to have your own Wifi network in your trailer.

I make no assertions that I'm a computer expert. Other words liability falls on you, but if you make a mistake or cannot get the Nano station to work. The Nano station can always be reset to factory default so you can start over.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (86.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (89.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (28.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (93.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (186.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (118.3 KB, 10 views)
__________________
2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax / 2018 5.0TA

"Live Life as if everything is rigged in your favor"
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 02:31 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
skiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Jeromesville, Ohio
Trailer: Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Posts: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
For those with a PC and wanting to install the Ubiquiti Nano Station.

I thought I would upload a picture supplement to David Botts How Too video on You Tube. In the YouTube video around time frame 7:30. You can use this supplement to the video on setting up the Nano station and air-gateway with PC. The air-gateway allows you the ability to have your own Wifi network in your trailer.

I make no assertions that I'm a computer expert. Other words liability falls on you, but if you make a mistake or cannot get the Nano station to work. The Nano station can always be reset to factory default so you can start over.
Very helpful. Thanks.
__________________
Carl,

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 03:23 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
skiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Jeromesville, Ohio
Trailer: Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Posts: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I also wanted a 12v power supply for the Air Max & Nanostation: Here is a device that will do the trick. It does not snap to the Air Max like the 120V supply, but a rubber band holds them together.

12V Power Supply
After much head scratching I pulled the the trigger on Nano, Air Max, 12 volt supply, plus bulkhead connectors. Another project in the pipeline ,
__________________

__________________
Carl,

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×