My New Hatches for Eggscape - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-09-2017, 05:34 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
My New Hatches for Eggscape

I should start a few modification threads because I know when the good weather comes I am just not going to feel like starting threads.
My new marine hatch doors have arrived for my future 19. I ordered one to check out the quality and it is great, so I ordered two more for a total of three of this size. Each cost $46 CAD, no tax, no shipping costs, which for us in Canada is a great deal. I did try to order local as we have a manufacture which has been mentioned in past threads, less than an hour away but they did not reply to my email. My feeling is if they will not replay to my email for a sale...then they are not going to reply if I have a problem. I am not going to beg for their product.
I plan on installing one behind the hot water heater, one in front of the black water tank and the other on the passenger side under the bench.
I like the look, feel and quality of these hatches so much I am going to see if ETI will not install the factory hatch so that I can install my own marine hatch. They do come in different sizes and to replace the factory one I would like the hatch which requires a hole approx 20.5×11.5 inches. That is a hole of approx the same length as the factory unit but is 2.5 inches higher than factory. I don’t want to start cutting into the fiberglass that is used to hold the bed support in place on the inside. This will have to wait until I can see a 19 in person again or someone sends me a good photo of a 2nd gen 19 hatch as seen from under the bed.
Keyed alike hatch locks and insulation posts to follow.
Attached Thumbnails
Ha.jpg   Hb.jpg   He.jpg   Hi.jpg   H am.jpg  

Specs.jpg  
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:38 PM   #2

Of course the hatches need locks. I looked for hours on the internet and it came down to ordering from my favorite supplier Ali Express. Many of the locks I found only allowed the key to be removed in the locked position. That was news to me and of course unacceptable. To make a long story short I order the 5 pack of 38mm locks for $12 CAN (no tax, no shipping) 5 sets , Mailbox locks, Cam Locks,Wardrobe, cupboard locks,Diameter: 23MM,Thread Length: 16mm 20mm 25mm 30mm 38mm-in Locks from Home Improvement on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group (I asked the seller to Key them alike)
I was very impressed with the quality of the locks, nut, washers etc and each came so they used the same key (Keyed Alike) for a total of 5 locks and 10 keys. (this great if I let the daughter use this trailer as she looses keys like…)
I used a socket to locate the lock as I wanted to use the socket for tightening and required the clearance. The thick hatch PVC type material is a pleasure to work with and I used a Unibit step drill to cut the hole.
I cut off the end of the latch just because it was not needed. The latch slot was cut on an angle to tighten on turning to the locked position. The slot will have to be filed a bit more when I install the black protective caps once they arrive. 4 caps for $1.28 CAN (no tax, no shipping) 4pcs Black Rubber Key Panel Cam Lock Dust Cover Waterproof Caps-in Locks from Home Improvement on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Once installed you can look at the lock and if the key slot is vertical it is locked. If the slot is horizontal it is unlocked. The key fits into the lock either way. (My last trailer the key could fit into the lock either way but would only turn if it was insserted the correct way...9 times out of ten it was not the way I had put it in...of course. Also the slot was vertical for both the locked postion and the unlocked position, so you never knew by looking at it in which state it was in. A real pain...
The product links came out weird but they are the underlined words...
Attached Thumbnails
H0.jpg   H1.jpg   H2.jpg   H4.jpg   H3.jpg  

Old 12-09-2017, 05:40 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I'm a but confused when you say "in front of the black water tank". It sits under the toilet, and has no hatch. So I assume you mean forward of it on the driver side (accessing the driver side dinette bench, forward of the bathroom). Also, you'd need a pretty square one to use for the hot water heater. A rectangle won't work. Or do you mean aft of the water heater access panel as a storage hatch? If so, there is no room to add that large of a hatch there on a 19.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:45 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Also, there is room for a hatch that would open into the driver side dinette bench, but if you get the EMS and inverter, be aware that they are in that area, so the storage would be very limited.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:49 PM   #5

When I was at ETI I did the measurements and the rear one will fit over the power plug and light...that will be another thread as to where I put my power plug.
The front black water tank protrudes in under the bench and I want to easily get to the space in front of that tank.
Attached Thumbnails
FC2E5C23-4083-47A6-BC93-63912B7E0B5E.jpg   CF1C9D49-7AA2-4F1A-83BF-A3D98A7F79FF.jpg  
Old 12-09-2017, 09:54 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
My New Hatches for Eggscape

So you plan to have hatches on all four corners, yes? I definitely like the keyed-alike plan. Just curious, but why so many hatches? Do you anticipate an unusual amount of stuff that requires exterior access? And as a follow up, are you also getting the front storage box?
Old 12-09-2017, 10:07 PM   #7

We will not be getting the front storage box with our trailer. I like to store our two chairs, small table, extension cords, hoses, tarps, mats, portable stove, wheel locks, wheel blocks...it all starts to add up.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Old 12-09-2017, 10:07 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
I definitely like the keyed-alike plan.
Actually, most hatches are keyed alike, throughout the campground. If you lose a key, just ask a neighbour. Ask if they have a CH751.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:27 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Eggscape, please keep us (or me in pmsg) posted on what Reace says about those hatches. My actual build will start late January and those would be a really nice addition. Thanks for posting all the purchasing info, too.
h2owmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:42 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
We will not be getting the front storage box with our trailer. I like to store our two chairs, small table, extension cords, hoses, tarps, mats, portable stove, wheel locks, wheel blocks...it all starts to add up.

That sounds like the normal stuff people put in a front box. Which then leaves your other storage areas unencumbered. And watertight. Thinking of the driver side front bench in particular here, which is full of non-waterproof electronics on a 19...
Old 12-09-2017, 10:50 PM   #11

I will be installing these hatches myself after I get my trailer in late April so unless Reace looks at them during the May Escape Event he will never see them.

Old 12-09-2017, 11:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
That sounds like the normal stuff people put in a front box. Which then leaves your other storage areas unencumbered. And watertight. Thinking of the driver side front bench in particular here, which is full of non-waterproof electronics on a 19...
The seal around this marine hatch looks very good...only time will tell. I will only have the standard power distribution unit in that area. It is probably more apt to get water in it from something that spills off the table than from the outside.

Old 12-10-2017, 12:58 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
When I was at ETI I did the measurements and the rear one will fit over the power plug and light...that will be another thread as to where I put my power plug.
The front black water tank protrudes in under the bench and I want to easily get to the space in front of that tank.
Unless they've changed the location of the water filler I don't understand how you're going to fit a hatch in this area.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0029_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:01 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
There is very little storage room on drivers front where the black tank and converter is located, the black tank limits storage to the top half only on 75% and the remaining 25% is reduced by the converter. I stow items not used often there. On the curb side front is the gold mine of storage, pots and pans and electrical appliances are stored here with shoes by the optional dinette door. Also my electric heater is mounted here. You want all your heavy stuff down low thus under kitchen storage being higher is used for other kitchen items. The curb side rear is where we keep 3 chairs, table, and mats with the under bed door access to 3 plastic container for clothes and seasonal items. No storage on the street side rear other than a tire repair kit which I hope I'll never use. The front storage has the stabilizers and leveling blocks and tire jack and hoses and cords. I can not imagine not having that front storage box, it also protects the batteries from the elements and theft somewhat.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:27 AM   #15

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Making sure I understand...the chairs etc go in through a hatch curbside rear? (as opposed to under the seat from the inside. thanks.
h2owmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:41 AM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Making sure I understand...the chairs etc go in through a hatch subside rear? (as opposed to under the seat from the inside. thanks.
None of the comfortable camp chairs I've used / have will fit through a hatch. Mine lay on the bed or in the tow vehicle.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:50 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Unless they've changed the location of the water filler I don't understand how you're going to fit a hatch in this area.

Ron
I have that picture saved as well...
The picture I showed with the tape measure is from the show room floor and the area does not have the water fill there on the 2nd Gen.
The new water fill location is between the rear wheel and hot water tank. It is one of the first holes cut, even before the power plug hole.
Attached Thumbnails
BD1BFEDF-8180-4BA9-B795-89D3C961BCD8.jpg   CD3AF8BA-A91B-491E-ABFE-7289D9544308.jpg  

Old 12-10-2017, 11:53 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Making sure I understand...the chairs etc go in through a hatch curbside rear? (as opposed to under the seat from the inside. thanks.
Yes, my director charts fold flat and fit thru the standard rear curb side opening. I put down 2 pcs 4x4 thin plywood under the bed and everything slides easily. I also had ETI install a 12v run under the bed with a switch and installed 2 led light strips underneath. See post#112 here for pictures http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...s-8841-12.html
Old 12-10-2017, 02:07 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
One other item to check out is the fiberglass shell strength behind the HW cutout. I think the fiberglass layup is not designed for another large cutout in the shell between the HW tank and the corner. The new hatches appear to be PVC or plastic and will provide little structural integrity to the shell in that area. I suppose additional fiberglass could be added inside the shell.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
One other item to check out is the fiberglass shell strength behind the HW cutout. I think the fiberglass layup is not designed for another large cutout in the shell between the HW tank and the corner. The new hatches appear to be PVC or plastic and will provide little structural integrity to the shell in that area. I suppose additional fiberglass could be added inside the shell.
Yes this is a concern in this one area. I will have to check the structure of the hot water tank face plate to see how much load it is taking...if any and the fiberglassed in bed support above both. I have no problem in fiberglassing in suitable supports if required. Should be some leftover material from when I fibreglass my house deck this spring.