New 6v Batteries for 2010 17B: New controller also? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-22-2019, 08:43 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post

The controller solar input and battery output terminals both show 7.4 V, but I do not know if this is due to them being connected through the controller. I have not measured them disconnected from the controller. I also have not done a controller hard reset.

What do you all think?
Sounds like you have the solar controller connected to one 6v battery and not to both in series. Take a look at the attached pics - does your wiring match?
Attached Thumbnails
6_volt_series.jpg   Battery wiring 19.jpg  
Old 11-23-2019, 11:56 AM   #22

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
I think you are correct, the solar system is wired in parallel when it needs to be series. Unfortunately, all of the wiring goes from the batteries individually and is joined somewhere out of sight. I am not even sure which wires are which, solar vs house, since they are all red wires. The house wires are correct, since I have 13.2 V in the trailer.

This is the wiring at the batteries:
Left battery- Negative has one smaller gauge (10?) red wire that goes into the trailer. Positive has one heavy gauge (8?) black wire and one smaller red wire. The heavy black wire is connected direct to the positive terminal on the right battery, the red wire goes into the trailer.
Right battery- Negative has one smaller gauge red wire which goes into the trailer. Positive has one heavy gauge black wire (direct from the left battery) and one smaller gauge red wire that goes into the trailer.

At this point I may be reduced to random connections and measuring the result, but am concerned that may result in some damage.

The only thing to be said in favor of ignorance is that it is curable!
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 01:06 PM   #23

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
This is the wiring at the batteries:
Left battery- Negative has one smaller gauge (10?) red wire that goes into the trailer. Positive has one heavy gauge (8?) black wire and one smaller red wire. The heavy black wire is connected direct to the positive terminal on the right battery, the red wire goes into the trailer.
Right battery- Negative has one smaller gauge red wire which goes into the trailer. Positive has one heavy gauge black wire (direct from the left battery) and one smaller gauge red wire that goes into the trailer.
If the heavy black wire connecting the batteries is really connected to positive on both batteries, the batteries are in parallel, not in series... but then the observed voltage in the trailer is not possible, so I wonder if this is actually how they are connected.

A photo might help.

I would disconnect everything and determine what each wire is connected to before reconnecting anything.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 03:29 PM   #24

Brian
You are absolutely correct. When we returned from a short trip I looked under the trailer again and the two black wires do not connect the positive poles of the batteries. Instead, they disappear into the trailer, as do the rest of the wires. Fortunately the new batteries allow full use of the trailer, with plenty of juice left after two days without hookups.

It has become apparent to me that I am not knowledgeable enough to solve this problem, even with all the help of everyone here. So...I have an RV tech scheduled for next week. Will get back with the solution.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:51 PM   #25

I Fixed It!

Due in large measure to the information and encouragement here I decided to give it another shot. It was, as suggested, merely incorrect battery connections, complicated by the fact that the house system was wired correctly, but the solar system was not. Ultimately it was as simple as just switching two wires on one of the batteries. I am suspicious that the wiring has been wrong for a long time, which may be one of the reasons it was up for sale. Missed it in the PPI. When I put the new batteries in and copied the previous wiring I just perpetuated the problem.

Now showing 14+v solar, with good amperage. Brought the batteries up from 70% to 100% in about an hour of full sun while running the Maxfan.

Thanks everyone, for your patience and encouragement. This is a super forum for solving problems.
Old 12-01-2019, 02:36 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Congratulations; love successful outcomes after sustained persistence...very satisfying.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:03 AM   #27

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
Label the wires...
Old 12-02-2019, 06:37 PM   #28

You got that right!