New 6v Batteries for 2010 17B: New controller also? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-24-2019, 01:13 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Bastrop, Texas
Trailer: 2010 Escape 17B (The Errant Escape)
Posts: 190
New 6v Batteries for 2010 17B: New controller also?

Working on solving a problem with our 2010 17B. I am sure I need to replace the batteries, since one will not take a charge. They are Duracell from Batteries Plus with a date of 12-17. We have a single solar panel, probably installed at purchase by ETI.

I am concerned that the solar regulator also needs to be replaced. It is a Go Pro 25 amp digital solar regulator (cannot find model #), probably installed at the factory. I intend to purchase AGM batteries, probably Reliant T105. I have two reasons why I am afraid I need a new regulator also:

1. The current regulator display has always been blank, and I cannot make it show anything. It has A and B buttons which seem to have no effect.

2. I understand the AGM batteries require a special setting on the controller, which is not possible on the current one due to no display, even if it is supposed to have the ability. (I actually have no idea if the controller is working at all, since I do not know how to test it. I have no reason to believe the panel is inop, though I do not know how to test for that either without disconnecting it). When I returned from a 30 absence the batteries were discharged, though there was full sun.

If I need a new controller what do you recommend and where to get it?

Thanks, All.
__________________

__________________
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong. (H. L. Mencken)
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 01:54 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 11,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
It is a Go Pro 25 amp digital solar regulator (cannot find model #), probably installed at the factory.
If it was a factory option, it was probably a Go Power, presumably an older model, and likely 30 amp rather than 25 amp. The trailer should have come with a manual for the controller, but there is a Go Power GP-PWM-30 manual in this forum's file collection which might be helpful.
__________________

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 01:57 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 11,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
I actually have no idea if the controller is working at all, since I do not know how to test it. I have no reason to believe the panel is inop, though I do not know how to test for that either without disconnecting it
If you have a voltmeter you can check the voltage at the controller's input from the panels and the output to the battery, and see immediately (if the sun is on the panels and the battery is not fully charged) if the controller is functioning. Just tell us what numbers you're seeing and someone can interpret for you.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 02:15 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
alanmalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Arvada, Colorado
Trailer: '21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Posts: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
If you have a voltmeter you can check the voltage at the controller's input from the panels and the output to the battery, and see immediately (if the sun is on the panels and the battery is not fully charged) if the controller is functioning. Just tell us what numbers you're seeing and someone can interpret for you.
A slight modification to the above. On a sunny day, with nothing running in the trailer of significance, measure the output to the battery, then toss a piece of cardboard or a blanket over the panel and take the same measurement. "Before and after", in other words. If the before voltage (sun on panel) is higher than the after then the controller may possibly be working. If the before and after are exactly the same then toss the controller with the dead batteries. Also measure the input side, before and after. Tell us what you find.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 02:30 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Bastrop, Texas
Trailer: 2010 Escape 17B (The Errant Escape)
Posts: 190
Thanks, when we get some sun I will do it.


Even if the controller is working, can I still use it with AGM batteries if I cannot see to change a setting? I read in another post that Trojan advises a special setting to avoid harming the batteries.
__________________
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong. (H. L. Mencken)
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 02:45 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 11,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
Even if the controller is working, can I still use it with AGM batteries if I cannot see to change a setting? I read in another post that Trojan advises a special setting to avoid harming the batteries.
You really need to confirm the controller model and check its documentation to answer this properly, but the Go Power GP-PWM-30 manual says (on page 12 of the version posted in this forum) that it has an AGM charging profile which is the same as for flooded batteries except to eliminate equalization... and equalization is likely (again, check the Trojan documentation) the setting which could potentially harm an AGM battery.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 02:52 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Surrey, British Columbia
Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
Posts: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
Working on solving a problem with our 2010 17B. I am sure I need to replace the batteries, since one will not take a charge. They are Duracell from Batteries Plus with a date of 12-17. We have a single solar panel, probably installed at purchase by ETI.

I am concerned that the solar regulator also needs to be replaced. It is a Go Pro 25 amp digital solar regulator (cannot find model #), probably installed at the factory. I intend to purchase AGM batteries, probably Reliant T105. I have two reasons why I am afraid I need a new regulator also:

1. The current regulator display has always been blank, and I cannot make it show anything. It has A and B buttons which seem to have no effect.

2. I understand the AGM batteries require a special setting on the controller, which is not possible on the current one due to no display, even if it is supposed to have the ability. (I actually have no idea if the controller is working at all, since I do not know how to test it. I have no reason to believe the panel is inop, though I do not know how to test for that either without disconnecting it). When I returned from a 30 absence the batteries were discharged, though there was full sun.

If I need a new controller what do you recommend and where to get it?

Thanks, All.
Yes it is a 25 amp controller, I know because I have one. The panel that came with ours was a 90 watt.
here is the manual;
https://gpelectric.com/files/gpelect...0PWM-25_vE.pdf

It does have a setting for AGM, but it sounds like yours is not getting any power and that is why there is no display.
And it probably wasn't charging your battery.

Ours still works fine and although it is a simple device it charges the batteries and every 28 days it equalizes them, which if you have or had an AGM battery should have been turned off. The manual tells you how to set the AGM setting and it will not do the equalize voltage with that setting.

If you have a voltmeter there are only 4 connections on the back of it.
The solar panel, which should have some voltage. And the battery which, if you have the battery installed should have ~12 volts.

When the battery terminal on mine corroded and fell off, the solar panel still ran the controller and lights and gas detector when the sun was shining.

(The front of ours says 30 amp, but the back of it says it is a GP-PWM25)
__________________
____
John
jxoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 03:27 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 11,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxoco View Post
Yes it is a 25 amp controller, I know because I have one. The panel that came with ours was a 90 watt.
here is the manual;
https://gpelectric.com/files/gpelect...0PWM-25_vE.pdf
Excellent It looks like the GP-PWM-25 was the predecessor to the GP-PWM-30.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:06 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Vermilye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oswego, New York
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2018 Ford F150
Posts: 3,474
The advantage of replacing the GoPower 25 amp controller with the newer 30 is I believe they have the same footprint so no need to adjust the hole in which it is mounted. I'd check the manuals for each - They have a mounting template in each...

That said, I really like the Victron 100/30. It does not have a face or controls; it uses Bluetooth to provide settings & information using your phone. It has a number of stock settings for different types of lead acid as well as lithium, and can be user programed for just about anything.
__________________
Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2018 F150 3.5EB, 2017 21
Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 02:29 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Surrey, British Columbia
Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
Posts: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
Working on solving a problem with our 2010 17B.
We have a single solar panel, probably installed at purchase by ETI.
.
I just want to let you know that there was a recall on the solar panel mounting on our 17B and I'm thinking it may effect yours.
They have new bolts that go thru the roof into the cupboards above the big table and some stainless cables that attach to the panel.

There was also a recall on the front of the frame where it curves up from under the trailer to the A frame part that the hitch is attached to.

An Email to Escape will confirm all this and they can send you the parts to get it done. I think they pay a flat rate for the fixes to be applied. We just took ours back to the factory and it was done while we had a coffee.

We like our 17B and the solar setup, so it is all quite functional when it is working. But if it is broken then any new panel will have better capacity and as Vermilye says some of the new stuff is real wiz bang.
I upgraded my 25 amp to the 30 amp, same brand, because I didn't want a different hole in the cupboards and/or run new wires.
The newer 30 Amp version has more settings for battery charging schemes and readouts and a button press to start an equalize session.
Amazon sells them but I found a better deal on Craigslist.
I still use the old one on a shed and it still works fine and it keeps an AGM battery topped up.
I would look for unplugged or corroded cables or fuses in the cables.
If you have one of those booster battery pack things to start a car, and it is charged up, connect it to the battery connections on the back of the gopower25 and see if you at least get a digital readout happening on the face of it.
If you cant even get that to work it is probably scrap.

https://www.amazon.com/Samlex-Solar-...2027870&sr=8-1
__________________
____
John
jxoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 06:07 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 11,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxoco View Post
There was also a recall on the front of the frame where it curves up from under the trailer to the A frame part that the hitch is attached to.
In case this trailer has not already been checked, and if necessary modified, there is an extensive discussion:
3" Frame Recall on 15', 17' & 19' Escape Trailers
... and Escape can assist with any information required.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 09:41 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Bastrop, Texas
Trailer: 2010 Escape 17B (The Errant Escape)
Posts: 190
Thanks to everyone for you guidance and suggestions. I plan on getting a voltmeter this weekend (fried mine trying the other day!) and will report back with my findings. Without your ideas I would not really know the best way to proceed.


Re: recalls: Before I purchased the trailer I contacted ETI with the ID number. They confirmed the recall on the frame had not been done and, after purchase, sent me the necessary parts and paid $50 for the required welding. Pretty impressive customer service on a 9 year old trailer with multiple owners. They did not say anything about a possible solar panel problem. I will check it out.
__________________
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong. (H. L. Mencken)
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 10:09 AM   #13
Member
 
Berndad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Bristol, Virginia
Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Full Quiver"; 2018 Ford F 150 3.0l Turbodiesel
Posts: 78
Send a message via MSN to Berndad Send a message via Yahoo to Berndad
Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
Thanks to everyone for you guidance and suggestions. I plan on getting a voltmeter this weekend (fried mine trying the other day!) and will report back with my findings. Without your ideas I would not really know the best way to proceed.


Re: recalls: Before I purchased the trailer I contacted ETI with the ID number. They confirmed the recall on the frame had not been done and, after purchase, sent me the necessary parts and paid $50 for the required welding. Pretty impressive customer service on a 9 year old trailer with multiple owners. They did not say anything about a possible solar panel problem. I will check it out.
Having a lot of experience frying Voltmeters, you can save yourself a bundle by replacing the fuse in your meter, most have 2, simply open it up and pull the fuse and duplicate whats inside, I bought a fuse pack on line for ~ 10 US and now have enough different fuses for several lifetimes
Berndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 10:17 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Bastrop, Texas
Trailer: 2010 Escape 17B (The Errant Escape)
Posts: 190
Good idea, but it was one of the free ones from HF. Pretty much all I ever need.
__________________
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong. (H. L. Mencken)
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:56 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Bastrop, Texas
Trailer: 2010 Escape 17B (The Errant Escape)
Posts: 190
Sun finally came out, so time to run the various checks as suggested. Unfortunately, the batteries (which I planned to replace anyway) are both dead, so unable to check the controller. Did not think it made sense to try to charge them, since one is definitely kaput and would never get enough voltage to meet the controller threshold. Have ordered two new batteries, will proceed when they arrive.

Thanks again.
__________________

__________________
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong. (H. L. Mencken)
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×