Here is a bit of a write up about the glue-down cork flooring I installed.
I decided on glue-down for a few reasons. I was originally going to do a floating floor, I even had some left over from a job. I decided that 3/8" of solid cork would give more comfort, and combined with the removing of the existing vinyl the weight would be less. Plus, I would have a good stable floor that would be waterproof, and most likely outlast me.
I all started with stripping out the old vinyl, then sanding off all the old adhesive, and getting down to nice bare plywood. I also scraped away any loose floor levelling compound, then floated the floor with new levelling compoutd, making it nice and smooth. Here it is all prepped and ready to go. I also removed all corner trims, baseboard trims, doors near the floor, door gasket, and the screen door, all which took little time to do, but made for a much nicer and easier install.
The floor was relatively level, with the excepting of a smooth transition down to the door of about 1/4 to 3/8" (never actually measured it). I just left this as the cork would conform nicely to it.
I then glued down a layer of 3/16" cork flooring with water based contact cement (solvent based would ruin the cork), which was fairly inexpensive at just over $1/sf. I then sanded. Any little ridges out.
I then laid out a straight reference line with my laser, and screwed down some straight edges to ensure a straight seam.
Here is the final layer of 3/16" cork going down. Both the floor and the top layer of cork have the contact cement on them, and I have stickers underneath in order to be able to better align the cork going down. After adhering the cork, I used a roller to press the joint tightly together.
I then put 4 layers of a water based polyurethane on the floor, sanding after the 2nd and 3rd coats. I put a bead of silicon around the edges. I replaced the vinyl wrapped trim pieces with real oak, as they were in areas that take some abuse. The screen door and door gasket was reinstalled, and the interior doors put back on.
A shot from the door.
And one from the bed. Reflectix was added to the spot at the front that had no insulation.
The flooring, levelling compound, adhesive and flooring polyurethane (very expensive) combined for a cost of about $220, well worth it in my books. I probably have around 10 hours into doing it too.
We now have a 3/8" layer of cork that looks beautiful, and is comfy cozy and warm underfoot, and has a finish tough as nails. This weekend will be the first test on it, then off the the Escape Rally with it the following weekend.